Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

Wikiposts

Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

I've been wondering about this one for a while.

What's going on with the 4x4's and sometimes saloons that have what kind of looks like fake dirt sprayed on the front, wings and wing mirrors? Am I missing something here or do they for some reason think it looks cool?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

A question I've always pondered. Must be a reason.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
A question I've always pondered. Must be a reason.
Indeed. I've asked so many people over the years but no one has a clue.... maybe its just an Arab thing...
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Its mostly on cars from Saudi, and what i have heard is they drive 1000km+ to reach Dubai and spray it to avoid too many pebbles chipping the front when they cruise at 180 kph
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I've been wondering about this one for a while.

What's going on with the 4x4's and sometimes saloons that have what kind of looks like fake dirt sprayed on the front, wings and wing mirrors? Am I missing something here or do they for some reason think it looks cool?
I always assumed it was undercoat before a paint job
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I always assumed it was undercoat before a paint job

That's what I always thought, a bad paint job....
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:33 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

It's mud paint (it has a name, I just can't remember it off the top of my head).

It's to protect the car's leading edges from sand damage. Most of the cars you'll see with it on are Saudis, who've driven nearly 1000 km through the desert at speeds of 140kph-160kph.

At that speed, sand can make headlines go opaque, and take the top layer of paint off the car.

Also, it protects against small stones from denting the leading edges.

But yes, it does look stupid.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a paint they use they're travelling through K.S.A to stop the chips off the road , it's like a spray on dry mastic that just washes off with a power hose , has no effect whatsoever , sand is sand and road chips are road chips .

You see a lot near Ramadan / Eid times as people are travelling . It's also used as a bit of a status symbol for Arabs as well , a bit of a badge of ' We are going to Saudi '

They keep the import stickers in the windscreen here as well , to tell you that they've got a new car....

Wankers basically..
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's a paint they use they're travelling through K.S.A to stop the chips off the road , it's like a spray on dry mastic that just washes off with a power hose , has no effect whatsoever , sand is sand and road chips are road chips .

You see a lot near Ramadan / Eid times as people are travelling . It's also used as a bit of a status symbol for Arabs as well , a bit of a badge of ' We are going to Saudi '

They keep the import stickers in the windscreen here as well , to tell you that they've got a new car....

Wankers basically..
I often wondered why thwy did that?

Another thing, whats with the Allied Carpets on the dashboard??
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Ah thanks, I wondered about that. Is that the same reason why they keep the plastic covers on the seats?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Next on my list of dumb questions that I've wondered about but was too afraid to ask:
Why are the lights on the mosques in AD green and Dubai is blue?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Another thing, whats with the Allied Carpets on the dashboard??
I have a rug on my cars (and furry steering wheel covers). The carpet keeps the car cooler (and stops the dashboard on nissan patrols bubbling - a common problem). The furry steering wheel cover stops you burning your hands when you get in the thing at midday. You'd be amazed at the difference.

When in Rome and all that...
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Next on my list of dumb questions that I've wondered about but was too afraid to ask:
Why are the lights on the mosques in AD green and Dubai is blue?
Well, if we are asking questions.............

When a party of four go out to a restaurant, and they put you on a table set for six, why does a waiter come along and clear away the other two place settings?? (Always puzzled and irritated me in equal measure)
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well, if we are asking questions.............

When a party of four go out to a restaurant, and they put you on a table set for six, why does a waiter come along and clear away the other two place settings?? (Always puzzled and irritated me in equal measure)
the other day we went to a Restaurant, there was three of us but we sat on a table for 6 as two were joining us, we told them that, they cleared all three places, I just watched. Guests arrived so they had to re-set
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have a rug on my cars (and furry steering wheel covers). The carpet keeps the car cooler (and stops the dashboard on nissan patrols bubbling - a common problem). The furry steering wheel cover stops you burning your hands when you get in the thing at midday. You'd be amazed at the difference.

When in Rome and all that...
i would rather use sunscreens in the window than have a ridiculous Axminster on the dash!

Tell me Millhouse..................Do you use underlay as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.