British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Live Forever—Soberly (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/live-forever%E2%80%94soberly-721963/)

Bahtatboy Jun 22nd 2011 11:40 am

Live Forever—Soberly

Recommended safe limits for drinking alcohol by older people should be drastically cut, according to a report.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists says people over 65 should drink a maximum of only 1.5 units of alcohol a day.

That is the equivalent of just over about half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13863196

FFS. Recent research indicates that, assuming the status quo, 1 in 10 women will live to be 100. I don't wanna live forever, thanks very much Freddie.

I met a friend when back home last week, who has the lucky task of cutting old people's toenails. All she hears, day-in and day-out, is gentle-to-rabid disatisfaction with being old. One old dear, at 98, had suffered a heart attack, but recovered: "I just wish it had been fatal" she said. That's the norm.

I don't know of many people in their 80's or beyond who have anything approaching a quality of life sufficient to outweigh all the downsides. My friend and I are in unison: provided we're still sufficiently compos mentis, when the balance tips it'll be a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and as many paracetamols as are required to do the trick.

Elmer Fudd Jun 22nd 2011 11:45 am

Re: Live Forever—Soberly

Loads of oldies on radio 5 live today phoning in saying a lifetime of drinking has done them no harm, going to the pub is their only pleasure left in life, binge drinking before you were born etc. Looks like the news silly season has linked up to the nanny state early this year :blink:

Elmer Fudd Jun 22nd 2011 11:47 am

BTW, oldie is always anyone 10 years older than me :D

kittycat1 Jun 22nd 2011 11:58 am

IF I hit 90 I intend on getting back on the smokes on my birthday along with a good bottle of bubbly- everyday- til I drop dead!

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9449335)
I don't know of many people in their 80's or beyond who have anything approaching a quality of life sufficient to outweigh all the downsides. My friend and I are in unison: provided we're still sufficiently compos mentis, when the balance tips it'll be a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and as many paracetamols as are required to do the trick.

I'm so with you. I would probably go for a holiday to Switzerland though... via bangkok of course.

hnd Jun 22nd 2011 8:52 pm

Going back to UK in late July this year for an aunt's 100th birthday. OK, she's been a 'bit poorly' lately and is currently in a nursing home (but still on her own two feet) and until April lived on her own in sheltered housing with daily visits from a carer. But still cooked all her own meals etc. She's as bright as a button still when we phone her (thanks to her hearing aid) and we hope that she makes it to her birthday - if determination has anything to do with it, she will!

And, yes, she's lived soberly (never married - fiance killed in WW2) but has had a wonderful life (despite operations for various ailments - including removal of pre-cancerous cells in her 90's and a knee replacement). TBH she's got more go than my father who isn't yet 80 yrs old. But then her father lived until 103 yrs of age so perhaps she's hoping to break the record.

Norm_uk Jun 22nd 2011 9:44 pm

I feel I will end up like Charlton Heston except instead of a rifle I will be holding aloft a bottle of Black Label and boldly stating "From my cold, dead hands".

There's only rule with drinking - cause no harm to others either physical or financial...live within that and I don't care if people drink two pints of vodka for breakfast.

Up the Nanny State.

N.