Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A little more tech advice please

A little more tech advice please

Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little more tech advice please

Thanks to all for the advice about joining the IPOD world. Cant imagine living without the little thing now and got one for my son as well so he will be a happy chappy in two weeks

Next stage in getting with the younger generation.

I have managed to ditch all my CD's now as they are ripped onto my laptop and into my IPOD so I am looking at all the DVD's I have been carting around and taking up luggage allowance with.
A friend has bought a little thing not much bigger than an IPOD that holds 160 gig of movies and has a screen to watch them on but it was quite expensive and needs a docking station.
As I will want to watch movies on my big TV can I copy all my movies to an external hard drive for my laptop and then somehow connect that to the TV ?
If this is possible can you suggest any makes/size of drive etc and where to get jeldi in AD.
If it isnt possible then are there any suggestions I havent thought of ?
I have about 60 Dvds with me
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:36 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little more tech advice please

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Thanks to all for the advice about joining the IPOD world. Cant imagine living without the little thing now and got one for my son as well so he will be a happy chappy in two weeks

I have managed to ditch all my CD's now as they are ripped onto my laptop and into my IPOD so I am looking at all the DVD's I have been carting around and taking up luggage allowance with.
A friend has bought a little thing not much bigger than an IPOD that holds 160 gig of movies and has a screen to watch them on but it was quite expensive and needs a docking station.
As I will want to watch movies on my big TV can I copy all my movies to an external hard drive for my laptop and then somehow connect that to the TV ?
If this is possible can you suggest any makes/size of drive etc and where to get jeldi in AD.
Hi Tock, some options;
Download the movies from one of the torrent sites and burn onto DVD, each movie is around 700mb, so you can fit 6 on a standard DVD. Divx is one way to view if your dvd player is compatible (many are).
Or, rip the dvd yourself and compress to 1.0 gb, you will then fit 4 onto a dvd. Many rippers and compressors available out there.
Or, buy an external drive and a dvd player that has a USB port, then do either of the above and watch direct from the drive.
Sounds complicated but all easy really.

Last edited by Roadking; Apr 4th 2009 at 2:38 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks RK
really want to get away from carting discs around so the external hard drive sounds the way to go as my DVD play does have a USB slot and that will be coming with me.
Off to the bookstore at Mina tomorrow night to get my drive
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:26 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks RK
really want to get away from carting discs around so the external hard drive sounds the way to go as my DVD play does have a USB slot and that will be coming with me.
Off to the bookstore at Mina tomorrow night to get my drive
Picked up a 750gb today at Oasis mall, EMax, for 299. Needs external power though, so if you can find a USB powered drive, it makes the job even easier.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Picked up a 750gb today at Oasis mall, EMax, for 299. Needs external power though, so if you can find a USB powered drive, it makes the job even easier.
Must be WD... I bought one about 6 months ago and it couldnt start on my laptop...So I bought a new laptop for it...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:33 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Confucius
Must be WD... I bought one about 6 months ago and it couldnt start on my laptop...So I bought a new laptop for it...
That didn't work so you bought a new server??
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

That didn't work so you bought a new server??
No...The laptop did fine...But I had to change homes...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:42 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Confucius
No...The laptop did fine...But I had to change homes...
So, you Con..figured it out.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

You can buy an external hard drive with video out - manufacturer name is Touchmate. They have some in Abu Dhabi duty free, 300GB HDD with network and Wifi capability. Has a composite, VGA and HDMI output so should work on any TV. Price is around 1300 AED.

I bought one a year ago with a 250GB drive (no network capability) from Quality computers on Electra (next to ADCB, Salam Street). Looks like this - http://www.souq.com/item.php?id=4364755

Well worth the money if you download via bittorrent.

Last edited by andrewpops; Apr 4th 2009 at 6:24 pm. Reason: Wrong brand name!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:54 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrewpops
You can buy an external hard drive with video out - manufacturer name is Touchmate. They have some in Abu Dhabi duty free, 300GB HDD with network and Wifi capability. Has a composite, VGA and HDMI output so should work on any TV. Price is around 1300 AED.

I bought one a year ago with a 250GB drive (no network capability) from Quality computers on Electra (next to ADCB, Salam Street). Looks like this - http://www.souq.com/item.php?id=4364755

Well worth the money if you download via bittorrent.
and there's even something like this... http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...72&language=en purpose built to do the exact trick. have seen them here in the magic kingdom (sorry, can't remember the price) and you can have one or more drives with it.

haz saeed
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tock, some options;
Download the movies from one of the torrent sites and burn onto DVD, each movie is around 700mb, so you can fit 6 on a standard DVD. Divx is one way to view if your dvd player is compatible (many are).
Or, rip the dvd yourself and compress to 1.0 gb, you will then fit 4 onto a dvd. Many rippers and compressors available out there.
Or, buy an external drive and a dvd player that has a USB port, then do either of the above and watch direct from the drive.
Sounds complicated but all easy really.
Picked up a WD Media Player for 399AED at Carrefour yesterday. HDMI connection to the telly, plug any external HD into it and it press play... Over time, saves on the CD's / DVD's, and have now dumped all my BitTorrent movies onto a dedicated external HD....
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

plenty of options, best is a dedicated small form media pc, most conveniant is a media player linked to a hard drive. sharaf have one at the moment 1tb of storage and media player with hdmi connections, built in wifi etc for 900aed
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks folks
seems some of the players are bigger and heavier than the bag of DVDs I cart around so I might have been barking up the wrong tree with my dim idea however will head off the electronics shops tomorrow and have a look see
Appreciate the tips

Tock
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:28 pm
If I have to explain...

Thanks folks
seems some of the players are bigger and heavier than the bag of DVDs I cart around so I might have been barking up the wrong tree with my dim idea however will head off the electronics shops tomorrow and have a look see
Appreciate the tips

Tock
Nah, you can get an external drive that takes 500gb and is a similar size as a dvd in it's case. The only question is how to get your movies onto the drive.