British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Lionel Messi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/lionel-messi-714900/)

The Dean Apr 28th 2011 6:42 am

Lionel Messi

I'm gradually becoming more and more convinced that he might just be the best player I've ever seen (which means he's the best of all time, as I'm old enough to remember Diego Maradona at his astonishing peak).

The second goal last night was as skillful as any goal I have ever seen, and ranks alongside Maradona's legendary effort v England in the 1986 WC.

Messi might take a while longer to be recognised as the all-time best, because Maradona was surrounded by mediocre players, but nevertheless guided them to two successive WC finals..........

..... but Messi - what a talent. What a talent.

Spugsy Apr 28th 2011 7:01 am

Re: Lionel Messi

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9331062)
I'm gradually becoming more and more convinced that he might just be the best player I've ever seen (which means he's the best of all time, as I'm old enough to remember Diego Maradona at his astonishing peak).

The second goal last night was as skillful as any goal I have ever seen, and ranks alongside Maradona's legendary effort v England in the 1986 WC.

Messi might take a while longer to be recognised as the all-time best, because Maradona was surrounded by mediocre players, but nevertheless guided them to two successive WC finals..........

He's 23, scored FIFTY TWO goals so far this season and is already Barca's third top scorer of all time.

Saying that, he's done **** all in the world cup.

Inselaffen Apr 28th 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9331085)
He's 23, scored FIFTY TWO goals so far this season and is already Barca's third top scorer of all time.

Saying that, he's done **** all in the world cup.

it does help playing in a team that is vastly better than any other team in the league. from what I heard he only really came into the game last night after Real had gone down to 10 men.

lionheart Apr 28th 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 9331231)
it does help playing in a team that is vastly better than any other team in the league. from what I heard he only really came into the game last night after Real had gone down to 10 men.

He will probably give your lot a real good stuffing next month:thumbsup:

co durham boy Apr 28th 2011 11:07 am

He's been the best in the world for quite a while now in my opinion and could be the best as he's still young enough . His World Cup moments will come .

Maradona's goal in 86 was phenomonal to say the least , the only downside of that was that he only had to beat Peter Reid , Steve Hodge and Terry Fenwick to score , not the quickest 3 out of the blocks.....:D

co durham boy Apr 28th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 9331231)

I watched him here in Doha in November when Argentina beat Brazil and Messi scored the winner in the last minute.
He eptomisies everything that is perfect about a footballer. I watched him specifically that night as you get to see a player properly when you're at the game and his movement , runs , balance , speed , technique were second to none and way above anyone else on the field and he was in the company of some great players that night.

He made Ronaldinhio , Neymar and Robinho who were all on the pitch at the same time look like 3 carthorses the boy was that good , even watching the kid off the ball was a pleasure .

paca Apr 28th 2011 12:12 pm

I watched some youtube vids of him

Is he one of the only players today that actually plays for the goal and doesnt go down on the first challenge?

1967tazz Apr 28th 2011 12:40 pm

Yes, he is very very special but 'best of all time' surely we are not saying the Maradona was the best ever....

co durham boy Apr 28th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by 1967tazz (Post 9331517)
Yes, he is very very special but 'best of all time' surely we are not saying the Maradona was the best ever....

Yes , without a doubt in my opinion , won leagues , world cups and totally influenced every team and club he was at.

Match winner every time

Sandboy Apr 28th 2011 8:35 pm

if he sticks at it he could be as good as Gary Rowell one day

nottmbantam Apr 28th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9331528)
Yes , without a doubt in my opinion , won leagues , world cups and totally influenced every team and club he was at.

Match winner every time

I'd second that, Maradona was, at his peak, the best footballer I've seen play. Messi's second goal was sheer quality, and he does have the potential to be one of greatest, though , in my books, he still has to deliver on the World Cup stage.

The Dean Apr 29th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1967tazz (Post 9331517)

I'd have to say Maradona is the all-time best.

He was surrounded by mediocrity, but still guided his country to two consecutive WC finals (86 and 90). Pele was a different sort of player, but every other member of that 'best team of all time' (Brazil, 1970 world champions) was also brilliant. Put it another way - even without Pele, that team would still have won the 70 WC. It's easier to look great if everyone else is pretty good too............

It's interesting to ponder who else might have scored that second goal for Barca v Real this week..................... Maradona? Probably.

Er............. that's it.

Boomhauer Apr 29th 2011 7:36 pm

Since we are talking about football, how come the Gulf countries are quite sucky. I am not comparing the Gulf to power houses with vastly greater populations but just to other small nations , for example Cameroon did quite well in 1990 WC and last WC Ghana did well . The Gulf with all their money and free time for the youth don't even make a blip on the radar.

Millemonkey May 1st 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9333862)
I'd have to say Maradona is the all-time best.

He was surrounded by mediocrity, but still guided his country to two consecutive WC finals (86 and 90). Pele was a different sort of player, but every other member of that 'best team of all time' (Brazil, 1970 world champions) was also brilliant. Put it another way - even without Pele, that team would still have won the 70 WC. It's easier to look great if everyone else is pretty good too............

It's interesting to ponder who else might have scored that second goal for Barca v Real this week..................... Maradona? Probably.

Er............. that's it.

Surely Pele in the '70 Brazil side is the same as Messi in the current Barcelona team??? Messi is surrounded by some of the best players in the world!!!
Personally I'd choose Pele over Maradona, scoring over 1000 goals in your career is tough to do even when surrounded by the best in the world!
Plus the number of assists Pele has to his name is phenomenal!

ctfc May 1st 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9333873)
Since we are talking about football, how come the Gulf countries are quite sucky. I am not comparing the Gulf to power houses with vastly greater populations but just to other small nations , for example Cameroon did quite well in 1990 WC and last WC Ghana did well . The Gulf with all their money and free time for the youth don't even make a blip on the radar.

"The United Arab Emirates currently ranks as the 18th most obese country in the world, with a 33.7% obesity rate among adults"

Might have something to do with it...