Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A light speed question...

A light speed question...

Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A light speed question...

Originally Posted by Arcadia
I only found out yesterday that Darthvader is Luke's Dad AND princess leah is Lukes twin sister!!
I found that out for the 3rd time on Saturday...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:36 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
When a spaceship travels in light speed, there is no danger of collision...As soon as the spaceship goes to normal speed it finds itself in an asteroid field and collision is imminent...

Your thoughts...
What's this got to do with sex...your'e off at a tangent !

Answer: the shields are at 100% as in Star Trek...so things just bonk off !
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
What's this got to do with sex...your'e off at a tangent !

Answer: the shields are at 100% as in Star Trek...so things just bonk off !
That time of year...

I also want to know, why don't put on seatbelts when in their spaceships, but in fighters they're fully strapped...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:50 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I can honestly say I have never seen it, nor have I any desire to do so. Isn't it just a 'cowboys and native americans' transferred to space type film?

Now '2001: A Space Odyssey' .....that's a film.
No it's not - I don't believe Akira Kurosawa was into westerns... redemption and revenge yes, stetsons no... George Lucas may have liked such things, but Star Wars was pretty much based on The Hidden Fortress and Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (so was The Guns of Navarone, Ocean's Eleven, The Dirty Dozen, and the western remake The Magnificent Seven)...

Last edited by Autonomy; Mar 24th 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:06 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

When a spaceship travels in light speed, there is no danger of collision...As soon as the spaceship goes to normal speed it finds itself in an asteroid field and collision is imminent...

Your thoughts...
when you travel at the speed of light time stops... but to reach light speed your mass would have to approach zero otherwise the momentum / inertia would be too much

or

engage warp drive with the dilithium crystals...

or

the Infinite Improbability Drive where anything can happen....

do you know where your towel is?

don't panic.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
when you travel at the speed of light time stops... but to reach light speed your mass would have to approach zero otherwise the momentum / inertia would be too much

or

or

don't panic.
If I understand things correctly, when an object travels at the speed of light, time passes as normal in the reference frame of that object.

For a stationary observer, however, the measured time of that object will be longer by a factor proportional to the square root of 1-the ratio of the square of the object's speed over the square of the speed of light. According to the laws of mathematics, when the object's speed is equal to the speed of light, then for every tick of the object's clock an infinite amount of time will pass for the observer. Some physicists argue that this makes light speed travel for a non-zero mass particle impossible - ref the twins paradox.

There is, however, some experimental evidence to suggest that a particle called a tachyon does exist - this is a massless particle that travels above the speed of light.

That's pretty intriguing, because the math then says that the time dilation factor becomes the square root of a negative number, i.e. an imaginary number.

In math terms, that means that the time vector becomes 90 degrees out of phase with our own vector measure of time. In other words, it gets completely de-coupled from our own measure of time.

What that math translates to in terms of our human experience of time, I have no idea. Nor does anyone else, I believe.

Oh, and the same factor applies to the dimensions of the object too. As an object travels at greater speed, it's apparent euclidean dimensions also shrink.

Mind ****, eh?

Last edited by shakh your bootie; Mar 24th 2010 at 10:10 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

As I always say.............. if you're not sure, ask Eric Idle............

Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sci Fi geeks eh!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Sci Fi geeks eh!
Oh, go and design me a new pair of boxer shorts if you've nothing more worthwhile to say....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:26 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
If I understand things correctly, when an object travels at the speed of light, time passes as normal in the reference frame of that object.

For a stationary observer, however, the measured time of that object will be longer by a factor proportional to the square root of 1-the ratio of the square of the object's speed over the square of the speed of light. According to the laws of mathematics, when the object's speed is equal to the speed of light, then for every tick of the object's clock an infinite amount of time will pass for the observer. Some physicists argue that this makes light speed travel for a non-zero mass particle impossible - ref the twins paradox.

There is, however, some experimental evidence to suggest that a particle called a tachyon does exist - this is a massless particle that travels above the speed of light.

That's pretty intriguing, because the math then says that the time dilation factor becomes the square root of a negative number, i.e. an imaginary number.

In math terms, that means that the time vector becomes 90 degrees out of phase with our own vector measure of time. In other words, it gets completely de-coupled from our own measure of time.

What that math translates to in terms of our human experience of time, I have no idea. Nor does anyone else, I believe.

Oh, and the same factor applies to the dimensions of the object too. As an object travels at greater speed, it's apparent euclidean dimensions also shrink.

Mind ****, eh?
Can someone pass a babel fish? Thats all jibberish to me.......
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy

or

or

don't panic.
Indeed, panic not.

BUT ... If a car is closing in fast behind you at lightspeed and flashes his lights to pass ... what happens?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

That's Alice in Wonderland...You're talkin' hyperspace shit now...
No - when Chewie and C3PO play chess onboard the Mellenium Falcon.

The pieces kill each other when they take the square.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
The 'good' guys dressed in white fighting the 'bad' guys dressed in black....?
I always thought it was a bit more "Arthurian' - boy finds his destiny via a sword/lightsabre that comes into his possession, goes on quest, defeats evil, gets knighted, claims throne...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

So fat middle-aged bloke on a fast bike looks thinner? Right, I'm off down the Harley shop this evening.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:38 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Mind ****, eh?
"Some physicists", I'm rolling, ROLLING on the floor! And the Tachyons, for F sake??
"There is, however, some experimental evidence to suggest that a particle called a tachyon does exist - this is a massless particle that travels above the speed of light."
Not one, not a SINGLE one, there are THEORETICAL formulations of the same particle (which is supposed to exist ONLY traveling above the speed of light, by the way) . And it has been clear that they belong to a realm of physics which we, and most of the law of physics we use and know, don't belong to.

Wikipedia, anyone? Should you really fancy to leave aside bullshyts and dig a little deeper, I truly recommend this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox. "Non-locality" is something existing (perhaps) only in the quantum mechanic universe, everything in a relativistic one has still to pay attention to asteroids, traffic lights, etc.

And though entertaining, and wildly so, the "Star wars" saga has indeed quite a simple plot: a captive princess? White knight(s) saving her from an "impenetrable" castle? "Magic" swords? Nasty monsters here and there?The forces of light vs. the forces of darkness? An old, old sage? Mmmm, I could swear I've seen all that before!

Yes, "2001, a space odissey" and even its completely different sequel are way, way beyond that. And there's a simple reason for it: Arthur C. Clarke.

SF is still in the books, what we see on the screen is so puny in comparison, funny to look (Matrix, etc) even moving sometime (Blade Runner!) but if you want to be blast away, you have to READ. Title of the day: "The Peace War", by Vernor Vinge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.