Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Let's All Laugh @ Rangers

Let's All Laugh @ Rangers

Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's All Laugh @ Rangers

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Only the Jocks care mate
You seem to care enough to keep on posting on the thread, although admittedly your posts have nothing intelligible to say.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
You seem to care enough to keep on posting on the thread, although admittedly your posts have nothing intelligible to say.
Yawn.....
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Only the Jocks care mate
That's fine. It's their league, happy for them. It's the constant religious / historical references that bore the rest of the world.

Why would someone from Glasgow fly an Irish flag for example? It's nonsense.

All that stuff with Neil Lennon being sent a single bullet in the post - what? who actually thinks that is a good idea? who deems that a reasonable response to disliking a football manager?

Unbelievably stupid.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn.....
That's cutting mate, well done.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I didn't say rangers were worse than celtic at being bigots, I know from first-hand experience (something not a great deal on the thread who have imbued pearls of wisdom have I imagine) that they are each equally repugnant.

I’m not from Glasgow, and I don’t give a shit about anyone’s religious background and it certainly wouldn’t be something that would lead me to discriminate against or abuse them about. However, as a non-old firm fan when you’re in Scotland the media hype around the evil two means you have them rammed down your throat day-in day-out. And, the fact that the sectarianism issue in Glasgow is portray as a Scottish problem, is somewhat galling to say the least.
But it IS a Scottish problem. It divides one of the biggest places in the country.

It dominates the football, the rivalry, the chanting, the songs. Everything.

Lesser teams (the entire premiership) only manage to fill their stadiums when R or C are in town, so I don't believe that people don't want to see them play.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's fine. It's their league, happy for them. It's the constant religious / historical references that bore the rest of the world.

Why would someone from Glasgow fly an Irish flag for example? It's nonsense.

All that stuff with Neil Lennon being sent a single bullet in the post - what? who actually thinks that is a good idea? who deems that a reasonable response to disliking a football manager?

Unbelievably stupid.
Agreed re the flags, but remember there are literally boat loads who travel over from both Irelands for games, particularly Old Firm matches. You will equally see Ireland flags (although not is such great numbers) at certain Premiership teams games.

You see this is my point about the historical and religious stuff, it’s only pedalled by the old firm but those who don’t really know Scottish football, out with them, see it as being something that runs through the whole Scottish game, when that simple isn’t the case.

The Lennon thing’s been rumbling on for years, and he was a massive hate figure for the Unionist’s during his playing days. I believe this was because he is Catholic, played for Celtic and also Northern Ireland (although there could well be other reasons also attached to this). In the end didn’t he retire early from international football because he was getting death threats? Just to be clear I find the whole scenario deplorable, but I think the roots of it are not football related, as such.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Agreed re the flags, but remember there are literally boat loads who travel over from both Irelands for games, particularly Old Firm matches. You will equally see Ireland flags (although not is such great numbers) at certain Premiership teams games.

You see this is my point about the historical and religious stuff, it’s only pedalled by the old firm but those who don’t really know Scottish football, out with them, see it as being something that runs through the whole Scottish game, when that simple isn’t the case.

The Lennon thing’s been rumbling on for years, and he was a massive hate figure for the Unionist’s during his playing days. I believe this was because he is Catholic, played for Celtic and also Northern Ireland (although there could well be other reasons also attached to this). In the end didn’t he retire early from international football because he was getting death threats? Just to be clear I find the whole scenario deplorable, but I think the roots of it are not football related, as such.
I basically agree with everything you've just said.

It's a shame because you're right to say that other teams are overshadowed by the big spending / dominating two, but I think they represent the split of attitudes further than just Glasgow.

I watched an old firm game with my Dad years ago, he was a Dundee Utd fan and I asked who he wanted to win. His reponse was along the lines of "I don't care one jot, but Celtic because I'm Catholic I suppose".

That's not the only time I've heard the split / decision come down to that, even for folk outside the fanbase.

That's what I don't / can't understand. It's just asking for trouble - well, it's asked for trouble and always produced!

Oh well.

I might try and get to one the games Maradona is in charge of (Al Wasl / Al Ahli is it? Can't remember), take an English flag and a Falklands flag and get aggressive.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I basically agree with everything you've just said.

It's a shame because you're right to say that other teams are overshadowed by the big spending / dominating two, but I think they represent the split of attitudes further than just Glasgow.

I watched an old firm game with my Dad years ago, he was a Dundee Utd fan and I asked who he wanted to win. His reponse was along the lines of "I don't care one jot, but Celtic because I'm Catholic I suppose".

That's not the only time I've heard the split / decision come down to that, even for folk outside the fanbase.

That's what I don't / can't understand. It's just asking for trouble - well, it's asked for trouble and always produced!

Oh well.

I might try and get to one the games Maradona is in charge of (Al Wasl / Al Ahli is it? Can't remember), take an English flag and a Falklands flag and get aggressive.
AL Wasl would probably win the S.P.L
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

But it IS a Scottish problem. It divides one of the biggest places in the country.

It dominates the football, the rivalry, the chanting, the songs. Everything.

Lesser teams (the entire premiership) only manage to fill their stadiums when R or C are in town, so I don't believe that people don't want to see them play.
Can I ask what you’re basing your views on? Are from or, have you lived in Scotland and been to football there?

Don’t mean this in a derogatory way, just curious.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd have to go and stick up for the wee man, since he's a Scottish national hero and all.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Can I ask what you’re basing your views on? Are from or, have you lived in Scotland and been to football there?

Don’t mean this in a derogatory way, just curious.
With my Dad being a Scot I've been a few times, not for any great period of time mind. I've never seen a live match. I don't really see the relevance...it's like asking what my political opinion is and whether it's worth anything based on my experience in the Houses of Pariliament for example....

However, I've watched enough Scottish football and read enough, heard enough, spoken to enough people about it on which I have based my opinion. If you look at the stats, only about 4 of the Scottish teams will average above 50% attendances. Then the highest attendances get them to nearly full are related to the R & C visits.

People seem to only be interested in those teams visiting, the rest of the season might involve a local derby but nothing of any interest to drum up support.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:47 am
Account Closed

I'd have to go and stick up for the wee man, since he's a Scottish national hero and all.
Hey, it's a well known fact it's easier to support ABE than to support Scotland....hahaha
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Grow up boys. The narrow-minded partisan comments from some people on this thread amply demonstrates why so many people still think football is a game for idiots and thugs.

Supporting a team is great. Thinking you do that by rabidly and violantly hating other teams, is neanderthal.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Supporting a team is great. doing that by rabidly and violently hating other teams, IS football.
corrected that for you
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
corrected that for you
Rubbish. It is certainly about rivalry, but should not be about advocating violence. That is just not sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.