Lest we forget

Old Nov 10th 2013, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lest we forget

Please buy a Poppy, the lady said,

And held one out, but I shook my head.

I stopped and watched her standing there,

Her face was old and lined with wear,

`Beneath the scars, the years had made,

Remained a smile that did not fade.

A boy came whistling down the street

Bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,

“Lady” said he, can I have one.

She pinned it on and he turned to say

Why do we wear a Poppy today?

The lady smiled without a flaw,

“For all the boys who died in war.

Because they did, we are free

So we wear this Poppy, you see.”

I had a boy about your size

With golden hair and big blue eyes,

He loved to play and jump and shout

Free as a bird, he would race about.

The years went by, he learnt and grew,

As, in time, you will too!

When war broke out, he went away,

All I could do was wait and pray.

His letters told of the awful fight,

Which, I can see, in dreams at night.

Tanks and bombs and cruel barbed wire,

Bullets and mines, screams and fire.

The fields were gone, the land all bare,

Yet seedlings spouted from their lair.

The Poppy grew and flowered red,

And breathed sweet perfume upon the dead.

The soldiers saw this sight with awe

Which gave them strength to fight the war.

Until at last, the war was won,

“That’s why we wear a Poppy, son ".

“The small boy turned as if to go,

Thanks Lady", I’m so glad to know,

That sure did sound an awful fight

Was your son safe, and so alright.

She shook her head but didn't speak

A tear rolled down each faded cheek,

I slunk away, so full of shame,

If you were me, you”d do the same.

Our thanks in giving is oft delayed,

Our freedom bought and thousands paid.

So when you see a Poppy worn,

Reflect upon the burden borne.

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer, Country's call.

So buy a Poppy for all who died,

And show it clearly with great pride.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lest we forget

Lest they be forgoten....
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful post, Kitty - I haven't seen that poem before........
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Got mine on today!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:33 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Beautiful post, Kitty - I haven't seen that poem before........
Same.

Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:36 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

good poem !
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:39 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Awesome! Got mine on today!
I forgot mine. It's in an old cufflinks box ready from last year.

Buggerations.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I forgot mine. It's in an old cufflinks box ready from last year.

Buggerations.
Wearing last year's poppy?? Isn't that ranked somewhere alongside touching up Princess Anne in the 'Not The Done Thing' list??

I think I still have an annual standing order to the Royal British Legion from my old bank account back home........ hope so, anyway.........
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Wearing last year's poppy?? Isn't that ranked somewhere alongside touching up Princess Anne in the 'Not The Done Thing' list??
I was thinking the same. Youth of today eh!

Bought mine last week from Harvesters in the Crowne Plaza. There's a tin on the bar.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I was thinking the same. Youth of today eh!

Bought mine last week from Harvesters in the Crowne Plaza. There's a tin on the bar.
Serious question - does the money in the tin actually reach the Royal British Legion back home?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:20 am
WWLLCJD?

I think I still have an annual standing order to the Royal British Legion from my old bank account back home........ hope so, anyway.........
It was a gift from a friend when he heard I didn't get one last year. I will now try and wear it every year....as well as to donate (which I did this year by giving my mrs money to put in the box at her school).

So.....bugger off you lot, I'm not that bad.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Serious question - does the money in the tin actually reach the Royal British Legion back home?
I expect so.... it was an official tin. and where else would you get the poppies from?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:41 am
Just Joined

beccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nice

My toddler ate this year's poppy I buy one every year but have usually lost it within a few hours of purchase
Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Please buy a Poppy, the lady said,

And held one out, but I shook my head.

I stopped and watched her standing there,

Her face was old and lined with wear,

`Beneath the scars, the years had made,

Remained a smile that did not fade.

A boy came whistling down the street

Bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,

“Lady” said he, can I have one.

She pinned it on and he turned to say

Why do we wear a Poppy today?

The lady smiled without a flaw,

“For all the boys who died in war.

Because they did, we are free

So we wear this Poppy, you see.”

I had a boy about your size

With golden hair and big blue eyes,

He loved to play and jump and shout

Free as a bird, he would race about.

The years went by, he learnt and grew,

As, in time, you will too!

When war broke out, he went away,

All I could do was wait and pray.

His letters told of the awful fight,

Which, I can see, in dreams at night.

Tanks and bombs and cruel barbed wire,

Bullets and mines, screams and fire.

The fields were gone, the land all bare,

Yet seedlings spouted from their lair.

The Poppy grew and flowered red,

And breathed sweet perfume upon the dead.

The soldiers saw this sight with awe

Which gave them strength to fight the war.

Until at last, the war was won,

“That’s why we wear a Poppy, son ".

“The small boy turned as if to go,

Thanks Lady", I’m so glad to know,

That sure did sound an awful fight

Was your son safe, and so alright.

She shook her head but didn't speak

A tear rolled down each faded cheek,

I slunk away, so full of shame,

If you were me, you”d do the same.

Our thanks in giving is oft delayed,

Our freedom bought and thousands paid.

So when you see a Poppy worn,

Reflect upon the burden borne.

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer, Country's call.

So buy a Poppy for all who died,

And show it clearly with great pride.
Lovely poem. I copied it, if that's ok with you
Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It was a gift from a friend when he heard I didn't get one last year. I will now try and wear it every year....as well as to donate (which I did this year by giving my mrs money to put in the box at her school).

So.....bugger off you lot, I'm not that bad.
Yes, but that incident with you and Princess Anne...... well, really........

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.