Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Lest we forget - 6 February 1958

Lest we forget - 6 February 1958

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lest we forget - 6 February 1958

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but that's what i thought you were doing...

MM, xx
shoes

nail varnish

GOOD NITE
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:26 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Its not a 'brand' its friggin 'Roy of the Rovers'......Can you get your head out of cutting a deal (what do you do in Doobye? say 'sell timeshare' and I am so not speaking to you) and think sport...............
So I have never been to Rio,can I not love Pele???
Sport? yes caught up in branding.....The Club has to meet the demands of the fans;Have you ever heard of Freuchie Cricket Club?
Tell me where smaller clubs could 'up' their ground spec to the conditions health and safety imposed on them after Ibrox;after Hillborough?
Not every ground has Harrods in the backyard like Craven Cottage or Delia dishing up dozens of millions and the best pies since Jeffrey Archer's Shepherds at the Canaries Club
There's a big difference.....So you have never been to Rio ok, but do you support Pele, do you wear his shirts, do you walk around with a Pele shirt with his name on the back, do you watch TV cheering on a team from another country, who you have never seen in the flesh.....I guess not ??? It would be like me suddenly cheering on and wearing shirts of the NY Giants, just because they had advertised and marketed themselves to such an extent that I was convinced I supported them, its nonsense !

No, not every club has millions, but you know what, I have more respect for the 1,304 fellas who go and watch Macclesfield or Wrexham or whoever week in week out come rain or shine, than I do for the millions of Man U supporters who support them in the most part because they have been sold a brand, and are glory hunting !

Same goes with Chelsea, they always were one of the small London clubs, both in stadium and support, you never ever used to see a kid wearing a Chelsea shirt when I was at school in London. An Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham shirt, yes, but never Chelsea, and I mean never. You used to go to Stamford Bridge, which was a right kak hole, no grass on the pitch with one stand, and open the other sides, and hooligans for support, and who's team were 99 per cent of the time dire, and who spent most of their time in the old 2nd division....Suddenly a day or two before going bankrupt and out of business for good (which would have been brilliant) a billionaire Russian comes along, saves them , and starts buying expensive players, and nabs the the marketing guy from Man Utd (because they had been succesful in selling themselves) to market Chelsea globally....and hey ho, before you know it, there are little kids in India or Dubai or China wearing Chelsea shirts, and so it all starts again.....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:27 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but that's what i thought you were doing...

MM, xx
Bragging or leaving the "L" out ?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
There's a big difference.....So you have never been to Rio ok, but do you support Pele, do you wear his shirts, do you walk around with a Pele shirt with his name on the back, do you watch TV cheering on a team from another country, who you have never seen in the flesh.....I guess not ??? It would be like me suddenly cheering on and wearing shirts of the NY Giants, just because they had advertised and marketed themselves to such an extent that I was convinced I supported them, its nonsense !

No, not every club has millions, but you know what, I have more respect for the 1,304 fellas who go and watch Macclesfield or Wrexham or whoever week in week out come rain or shine, than I do for the millions of Man U supporters who support them in the most part because they have been sold a brand, and are glory hunting !

Same goes with Chelsea, they always were one of the small London clubs, both in stadium and support, you never ever used to see a kid wearing a Chelsea shirt when I was at school in London. An Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham shirt, yes, but never Chelsea, and I mean never. You used to go to Stamford Bridge, which was a right kak hole, no grass on the pitch with one stand, and open the other sides, and hooligans for support, and who's team were 99 per cent of the time dire, and who spent most of their time in the old 2nd division....Suddenly a day or two before going bankrupt and out of business for good (which would have been brilliant) a billionaire Russian comes along, saves them , and starts buying expensive players, and nabs the the marketing guy from Man Utd (because they had been succesful in selling themselves) to market Chelsea globally....and hey ho, before you know it, there are little kids in India or Dubai or China wearing Chelsea shirts, and so it all starts again.....
Hey what about QPR

I proudly wore my shirt, my big bro took me and 3 very younger siblings to all the home games

ah those were the days
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Bragging or leaving the "L" out ?
bragging, of course, like usual...

MM, xx
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:33 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

So how do we make the 'big' difference smaller-in the name of sport?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:38 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Eva
So how do we make the 'big' difference smaller-in the name of sport?
You've lost me ?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:47 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You've lost me ?

Somewhere out there? SYZ road.................go back to the Q handsome one.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you honestly think a sportsman can stand 'naked'-sorry only word I can think of -meaning offering nothing but 'talent' and survive one league;tourney;circuit without being approached/tarnished by sponsors?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:14 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Eva
Do you honestly think a sportsman can stand 'naked'-sorry only word I can think of -meaning offering nothing but 'talent' and survive one league;tourney;circuit without being approached/tarnished by sponsors?
No, these days you would not survive as a sportsman or a team without sponsors, and I dont disagree with it, its a "both win" situation. It gives the sportsman or team much needed money and the sponsor publicity........But with Man U, and I am sure there must be other clubds trying it, wha possible reason is for them to have a "soccr school" for example in Dubai ? They will tell you its to promote the sport in Dubai or wherever, its good for the young kids, or underprivellged blah blah blah....its rubbish !. The real reason is, like they have done in China and the Far East when they go on tour there to play exhibition games, the sole aim is to promote their name as far and as wide as possible, sell shirts, and make money out of merchadising, its nothing to do with promoting soccer, helping the needy etc etc
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:25 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, these days you would not survive as a sportsman or a team without sponsors, and I dont disagree with it, its a "both win" situation. It gives the sportsman or team much needed money and the sponsor publicity........But with Man U, and I am sure there must be other clubds trying it, wha possible reason is for them to have a "soccr school" for example in Dubai ? They will tell you its to promote the sport in Dubai or wherever, its good for the young kids, or underprivellged blah blah blah....its rubbish !. The real reason is, like they have done in China and the Far East when they go on tour there to play exhibition games, the sole aim is to promote their name as far and as wide as possible, sell shirts, and make money out of merchadising, its nothing to do with promoting soccer, helping the needy etc etc

Please........were you trialled somewhere and broke a leg?
Now I'm suspicious of you.......you are calling it soccer!
Do you think -ok lets go for the brand leaders-
Do you think David Beckham would rather have his hair gelled than execute an almost perfect right(?) kick?
Do you think Thierry would rather tear up the pitch than drive a pathetic vava voom renault?
Do you think Steph Gerarrd would rather slap Alex than be married to her?
Oh so there's Wayne....product of possibly drunks-foetil alcohol syndrome could explain the ears-but the boy knows his way around a ball.
Look at their leader Alex-small protestant town-tradesman;dour; but sets a team on fire!
The passion and the glory still remains at the feet of those who score the goals...............
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:32 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Eva
Please........were you trialled somewhere and broke a leg?
Now I'm suspicious of you.......you are calling it soccer!
Do you think -ok lets go for the brand leaders-
Do you think David Beckham would rather have his hair gelled than execute an almost perfect right(?) kick?
Do you think Thierry would rather tear up the pitch than drive a pathetic vava voom renault?
Do you think Steph Gerarrd would rather slap Alex than be married to her?
Oh so there's Wayne....product of possibly drunks-foetil alcohol syndrome could explain the ears-but the boy knows his way around a ball.
Look at their leader Alex-small protestant town-tradesman;dour; but sets a team on fire!
The passion and the glory still remains at the feet of those who score the goals...............
I called it Soccer, in reference to 'Soccer school'.....All good players for sure.............and David Beckam wasnt bought by Real Madrid primarily to sell shirts ????? No, of course not.....what a terrible thing to suggest !.............he hadnt been there more than a fornight and they were straight off to The Far East !!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:40 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I called it Soccer, in reference to 'Soccer school'.....All good players for sure.............and David Beckam wasnt bought by Real Madrid primarily to sell shirts ????? No, of course not.....what a terrible thing to suggest !.............he hadnt been there more than a fornight and they were straight off to The Far East !!!
God I think I have met my match..............I'm the Queen of Cynics-are there two of us?
What are you still moaning about ? small people don't champion
This debate-please don't stop- really doesn't belong on the same page as a memorial to young talented guys killed when they still had their lives to live.
Right Midnight Moerator stick this up............cue new thread jingle jangleman-a real test of your knowledge
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:42 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well hush ma mouth..........how do I invent a new thread?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

No, not at all, but its a well known fact / standing joke that most of the Man U fans in England live "South of Surrey"..........and please dont get me started on Chelsea !.......
how come you support West Ham! arent you an essex boy? and my geography may not be perfect (as the quiz proves every week) but I do not believe that the Hammers are located in Essex!

stop being a glory hunter and get down to the Daggers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.