Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Legality of non-renewable tenancy contracts

Legality of non-renewable tenancy contracts

Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legality of non-renewable tenancy contracts

I am sure some of you brains out there will know the answer to this

There is an inceasing trend where I live for LL to attempt to get tenants to sign non-renewable contracts. I advise them not to sign, they don't have to accept this change, but some do.
I've heard that RERA advise people that a non-renewable contract is not recognised by them (if you've registered with Ejari) and you can roll over for another year as is normal. The problem is that I've never seen a legal opinion, or a law to this effect. Can anyone point out such a law?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legality of non-renewable tenancy contracts

Originally Posted by mikewot
There is an inceasing trend where I live for LL to attempt to get tenants to sign non-renewable contracts.
I did sign a non-renewable on my last place, but it was more as a compromise to the LL who was going through divorce and was looking to sell the place. I said to give me 12 months notice to vacate and she asked me to sign a non-renewable which would have the same effect, although would allow us to stay in the house if she couldn't sell the place and then wanted us to stay in there.

I did have legal advice that the non-renewable clause was not enforceable and that the base rera conditions would always be referred to i.e. rollover on same conditions without 3 months notice to change after 2 years of tenancy.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bongoman, the law is that you have to be given 12 months notice by notary public or registered mail and there are only 4 allowable reasons that you can be given notice to vacate.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blazeaway will become famous soon enoughBlazeaway will become famous soon enough

Thanks Bongoman, the law is that you have to be given 12 months notice by notary public or registered mail and there are only 4 allowable reasons that you can be given notice to vacate.
I'm in that position and with missing Estate Agent and absentee landlord not sure whether to renew or move!

Have to say that seen property that I like better than current so may be move!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

And the 12 months notice must be on renewal of Contract. Not on the first day of your tenancy.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Recent sharpening on the rules over non-renewables. They are only legal when used for short term holiday lets. The agent must have applied for the short term let licence to do these lets and only 2 agencies in Dubai currently have them Better Homes & Hamptons. Be warned that you can pay up to 20% agents fee instead of the standard 5%.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I had heard that LL were giving a non renewable TC and then giving 12 months notice the next day - so a loophole but a legal one?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
I had heard that LL were giving a non renewable TC and then giving 12 months notice the next day - so a loophole but a legal one?
I thought the 12 months notice was from expiry of current contract, so in your example, essentially 24 months notice?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

It's a grey area. Although how I read the wording it seems straight forwards, 12 months from expiry of contract. But many of the 'legal experts' say 12 months from receipt of the eviction notice.
Article 24:
2. Landlord may demand eviction of tenant upon expiry of tenancy contract limited to the following cases:

"Upon expiry" is the bit I interpret as they have to wait until the contract expires, not just part way through.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:25 am
Account Closed

On the non-renewable side:
http://www.thenational.ae/business/i...contract-legal
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Can we agree that pretty much ever LL in this country in a devious, back-stabbing, money grabbing prick and they will try to ignore, bend and break every law to earn a few extra dirhams.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Can we agree that pretty much ever LL in this country in a devious, back-stabbing, money grabbing prick and they will try to ignore, bend and break every law to earn a few extra dirhams.
Your cynicism is shocking! LL are simply trying to recoup the money they've spent out on buying a property and are very generously allowing you peasants who cannot afford to buy to live in it. Taking care of your every need on maintenance and faults with the speed of a thousand gazelles startled by a lion.
You should be grateful to your LL and offer up prayers every day for their health and wellbeing and those of their families. You also neglected to mention agents, who work extraordinarily hard to earn their paltry 5% commision.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

You also neglected to mention agents, who work extraordinarily hard to earn their paltry 5% commision.
Don’t get me started on that shower of shite! I had one round with a prospective new tenant, he new **** all about the apartment or building. Literally he didn’t know what the rent was going to be, how many cheques, if the a/c was central, where the facilities were, if it was furnished/unfurnished, he even asked me for the LL’s mobile number… I did his sales pitch for him. The lad he showed round (who was new to Dubai, and the sort of young Yank who views apartments on a Saturday afternoon in slacks, a shirt and a blazer – I gave him a few pointers!) took the apartment, I feel I’m owed most of the AED5.5k commission.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Provided that "pretty much" acknowledges exceptions. My previous LL cooperated with the break clause and accepted some of the hassle in making it work. Some prior LLs were also flexible in various ways.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, taking into consideration the large number of emails I receive about their efforts to kick out tenants every week nowadays.