Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive over here

Learning to drive over here

Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive over here

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
so what are you supposed to do ? am I missing something?
You could follow government guidance/rules/lawsor do as you wish and potentially suffer the consequences. It's your choice entirely, but as HMRC are cracking down on those who bend the residency rules to suit themselves, claiming UK residency for some things whilst not paying tax is rather a grey area.

Lack of knowledge - for which read, not bothering to find out what the rules are - is not a valid defence. I am just presenting the facts here.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice
Default Re: Learning to drive over here

Originally Posted by Kim67
Doesn't the UK allow you to keep your UK license even when you hold one in another country? We renewed our Australian licenses from Dubai (kept an Aussie PO Box) and then had both UAE and Australian.

To Spugsy, I reckon you should do it in the UK, I know quite a few people that have had lessons and taken their test in Dubai and they weren't exactly competent on the road when they'd finished.....and they were all failed the first time they took their test. One of the friends kids had his mums car impounded within a month of having his license and had $5k worth of fines. I don't think he'll ever live that one down poor kid.
Yes it does, but the photocard part of the license is only valid for 10 years and you have to be a UK resident to renew that - living in the country for 6 months of the year. The paper part of the license which is valid for 75 years or whatever it is, doesn't expire until that time.