Learning to drive

Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:08 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Learning to drive

Ok, as I now have time on my hands and need to learn to drive, can you get say a weeks intensive course over here or is it just the normal standard lessons?

Anyone learned over here and can recommend someone good?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive

No idea about learning to drive here, but you should check if you can convert your UAE license to a UK one.

I know it isn't possible for me, I was looking in to getting my license for a motorbike as it was a lot cheaper over here, but as I couldn't convert it it would mean I needed to take the minimum amount of lessons required and pass the test in the Netherlands anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Euc-
No idea about learning to drive here, but you should check if you can convert your UAE license to a UK one.

I know it isn't possible for me, I was looking in to getting my license for a motorbike as it was a lot cheaper over here, but as I couldn't convert it it would mean I needed to take the minimum amount of lessons required and pass the test in the Netherlands anyway.
If he had a UAE license, Spugsy wouldn't need driving lessons. Sadly, most of the driving schools over here are piss poor and require 40 lessons or so. Better to learn to drive back home.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
If he had a UAE license, Spugsy wouldn't need driving lessons. Sadly, most of the driving schools over here are piss poor and require 40 lessons or so. Better to learn to drive back home.
That's what I meant, I've looked it up, and it appears that he can not convert his license from the UAE to the UK, he is allowed to drive up to 12 months but after that he has to apply for a provisional driving license and do the same things as a 17 year old..

And I think you get a probationary license in the UAE after you passed your test, but I could be wrong about that. Your not allowed to rent a car from most companies till you have it for about 6 months anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:35 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I think what EUC is saying is; it might be better to go back home to learn to drive. You can exchange a UK licence for a UAE one, but not the other way round. You'd also learn to drive and not just learn how to pass the test.

However, if you must do it here, I'd recommend EDI. they at least have UK based train the trainers and know what driving is about, but it ain't cheap man.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

God haven't even thought about driving license and stuff like that- what do you need to do to drive over there- I have a full UK license decorated with a few points.. also if you are rentinga car does that include insurance or do you have to get that seperately?

x
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:37 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
God haven't even thought about driving license and stuff like that- what do you need to do to drive over there- I have a full UK license decorated with a few points.. also if you are rentinga car does that include insurance or do you have to get that seperately?

x
I can't afford to go home and do it there, it would cost thousands, on the other hand I spend AED3k a month on cabs, so it would make sense, if we're staying out here to get a car of my own - plus if one day a little baby spugsy comes along I can't let mrs spugsy do all the driving around now can I?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

No problem if you have a UK licence. You can rent a car and take whatever insurance you want just like anywhere else.

Problem comes when you get your residency visa as from that point on you are not insured unless you have a UAE licence.
However that is just a matter of getting the right piece of paper and going to the RTA office, so just a one day thing.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:44 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I can't afford to go home and do it there, it would cost thousands, on the other hand I spend AED3k a month on cabs, so it would make sense, if we're staying out here to get a car of my own - plus if one day a little baby spugsy comes along I can't let mrs spugsy do all the driving around now can I?
Totally agree with the getting a licence. Just if you go through the crap here, it's only good for here.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

x
You can convert your license, here you'll find the steps

Car rentals have insurance, just check with them. You can rent a car on your UK license with an international drivers permit (most companies won't ask you for it, but better to have it just in case of an accident or something), but as soon as your on a residence you need to get a UAE license.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

x
It takes a few minutes to convert your UK licence to a UAE licence. My company's PRO took me to have it done and it literally took about 5 minutes.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

bless, a baby Spugsy
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Ok, as I now have time on my hands and need to learn to drive, can you get say a weeks intensive course over here or is it just the normal standard lessons?

Anyone learned over here and can recommend someone good?
yeah spugs I was banned in the uk when I arrived and had to pay 7k to belhasa for 40 lessons, 40 lessons is the Norm now.Our pro did some compomising and I did 15 lessons in total and they filled in the gaps to use up my remaining lessons.The reason for that is if you fail you have to pay again and cannot use your remaining lessons,although if you fail I dont think you have to pay for 40 more but not sure about that.
Belhasa at jafza I used and would recomend if you can get in because you take your lessons and test in jafza so the roads are quiet,but believe it or not they are very disorganised
I now have an international licence as well so can use that in the uk,my ban is also finished in the uk so I can drive over there when I go home.
Good luck mate.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:21 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by glynster
yeah spugs I was banned in the uk when I arrived and had to pay 7k to belhasa for 40 lessons, 40 lessons is the Norm now.Our pro did some compomising and I did 15 lessons in total and they filled in the gaps to use up my remaining lessons.The reason for that is if you fail you have to pay again and cannot use your remaining lessons,although if you fail I dont think you have to pay for 40 more but not sure about that.
Belhasa at jafza I used and would recomend if you can get in because you take your lessons and test in jafza so the roads are quiet,but believe it or not they are very disorganised
I now have an international licence as well so can use that in the uk,my ban is also finished in the uk so I can drive over there when I go home.
Good luck mate.
7k for lessons?? How come?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

just give us some warning when you are starting spugsy, so we can stay off the roads...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.