Laura Hall

Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laura Hall

It's a general estimate by my friends of their monthly food expenses including restaurant meals and takeaways. Most shopping is done at Waitroses partly because they have excellent prepared foods.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
125 quid a week in Asda? that seems alot, their salads for one are only 2 quid
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Is he living in the halls where he can get prepared meals or is he out on his own in some type of shared flat situation?

When I move to London I'll probably easily spend 400-500 quid a month on food alone, but there's virtue to learning how to survive on cheap food. I ate nothing but pasta and canned fish for four or five years during my student years. He can eat well on your allowance...as long as he has the capacity to learn how to eat on a tiny budget.
Halls, but self-catering (nicely-equipped kitchens). Seems he and his mates share the cooking, so if they club together then dinner should be cheap. Also I've allowed for a once-a-week meal out for a tenner, and 4 quid a day for lunch, so that should be ok.

As you all say, he's gotta learn to budget and prioritise. I'm keen to strike that balance between giving him enough to be comfortable but not so much that he thinks he's got it made.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

My niece is at Uni and her Dad gives her a very generous allowance and she doesn't know she's born. She even has Tesco deliver her shopping at a fiver a time! She will be in for a shock when she has to pay for it all herself.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
My niece is at Uni and her Dad gives her a very generous allowance and she doesn't know she's born. She even has Tesco deliver her shopping at a fiver a time! She will be in for a shock when she has to pay for it all herself.
Even if I was loaded I still wouldn't let my kids have it all on a plate. There's a good degree of poisoning, too, from all the American drivel they watch on TV: cars as high school graduation presents, frat houses either full of drunken morons, Mean Girls bimbos or over-privileged chinless wonders, and the ethos (no pun intended) of if you've worked hard for 15 years you deserve to be able to retire. When he was 16 he wanted to know where is American-style super-16 birthday party was (I think he was only half joking).

I sincerely hope my son walks into a 70k pa job when he graduates and he's making millions by the time he's 30, but I'm going to make damned sure he's well prepared just in case...
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Even if I was loaded I still wouldn't let my kids have it all on a plate. There's a good degree of poisoning, too, from all the American drivel they watch on TV: cars as high school graduation presents, frat houses either full of drunken morons, Mean Girls bimbos or over-privileged chinless wonders, and the ethos (no pun intended) of if you've worked hard for 15 years you deserve to be able to retire. When he was 16 he wanted to know where is American-style super-16 birthday party was (I think he was only half joking).

I sincerely hope my son walks into a 70k pa job when he graduates and he's making millions by the time he's 30, but I'm going to make damned sure he's well prepared just in case...
The Branson attitude, love it
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:12 pm
Hit 16's

Right, now that I've turned this thread into something resembling the sort of stuff discussed on EW, I'm buggering off.

Ciao.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:28 am
Hit 16's

Only joking.

He's decided not to take teh part time job because he's worried it would impinge on his study time.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/reviews/85...mately-hopeful

Watched this last night, very interesting. What I don't understand is this 21 year old has no job yet she holidays in Cyprus, is out on the lash all the time, where does the money come from? Her parents must have been subsidising her lifestyle.
i just watched it, i actually felt quite sorry for her...when she was sober, she wasn't the gobby pikey that i thought she was going to be...

i think a lot of what we saw her doing was funded from her various newspaper deals...i reckon her parents were doing the right thing for her to be honest...

hope she does manage to pull herself out of this, how sad when she's potentially got so much ahead of her...

MM, xx
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:40 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i just watched it, i actually felt quite sorry for her...when she was sober, she wasn't the gobby pikey that i thought she was going to be...

i think a lot of what we saw her doing was funded from her various newspaper deals...i reckon her parents were doing the right thing for her to be honest...

hope she does manage to pull herself out of this, how sad when she's potentially got so much ahead of her...

MM, xx
Never thought about the newspaper deals, she looked like a different person at the end. We are going through it with a family member.