British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The latest in a long line of "Dubai Bashing" articles... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/latest-long-line-dubai-bashing-articles-899869/)

Autonomy Jul 20th 2017 3:58 pm

The latest in a long line of "Dubai Bashing" articles...

This journalist can't write to save her life and the article has huge glaring incorrect assumptions and incorrect facts.

It appears she once worked for Time Out Dubai.

I can only assume she was sacked.

Dubai’s dark side: The world’s most toxic culture

What's On retort

Why I take serious issue with the latest Dubai-bashing article... - What's On Dubai

weasel decentral Jul 21st 2017 2:45 am

Re: The latest in a long line of "Dubai Bashing" articles...

The rebuttal article is just as anecdotal and as bad as the original. ;)

I find it curious how strongly people feel about any 'bashing' type article on Dubai, I can't imagine the inhabitants of any other city (London, Paris, New York..Dublin) would even raise an eyebrow when subjected to similar critiques. There's a bit of insecurity still in Dubai methinks :)

IKnowNothing Jul 21st 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12299044)

isn't it just, my 15 year old writes better than that. I suppose TO had to do something as it was their ex journo and they need to lick arse.

Incidentally, how many times has the phrase "Disneyland for Adults" been brought out, I first recall it in 2005 - a certain Jammy Dodgers mentioned it to me over a beer in Scarlets as was.

DXBtoDOH Jul 21st 2017 6:46 am

I very politely disagree.

While anecdotal, yes, I recognise where she's coming from. And it's much more realistic about Dubai than the twattette's article. She didn't pretend that the dark side doesn't exist (every city has a dark side) but pointed out that contrary to the twattette's claims, most people in Dubai live nice, quiet, normal lives. Yes, there's a big volunteering scene. Yes, there are dedicated expats who support charity endeavours. Yes, the lots of the labourers have improved tremendously compared to just ten years ago (better regulations and HSE conditions). For most of my friends, life in the UAE is cheap camping trips, sporting activities, drinks out, the odd brunch mixed with cheap meals in Karama. And we're westerners.

And that was her point. In between the knobheads and the labourers is a huge and diverse population who are nothing like what's being portrayed in the article, and many if not most are pretty happy with their life in Dubai.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12299044)

I find it curious how strongly people feel about any 'bashing' type article on Dubai, I can't imagine the inhabitants of any other city (London, Paris, New York..Dublin) would even raise an eyebrow when subjected to similar critiques. There's a bit of insecurity still in Dubai methinks :)

weasel decentral Jul 21st 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12299118)
I very politely disagree.

While anecdotal, yes, I recognise where she's coming from. And it's much more realistic about Dubai than the twattette's article. She didn't pretend that the dark side doesn't exist (every city has a dark side) but pointed out that contrary to the twattette's claims, most people in Dubai live nice, quiet, normal lives. Yes, there's a big volunteering scene. Yes, there are dedicated expats who support charity endeavours. Yes, the lots of the labourers have improved tremendously compared to just ten years ago (better regulations and HSE conditions). For most of my friends, life in the UAE is cheap camping trips, sporting activities, drinks out, the odd brunch mixed with cheap meals in Karama. And we're westerners.

And that was her point. In between the knobheads and the labourers is a huge and diverse population who are nothing like what's being portrayed in the article, and many if not most are pretty happy with their life in Dubai.

No need to be very polite. ;)

Whether the article is bashing or praising Dubai I don't really care, my only point was both authors were extrapolating anecdotal information to justify their points. Just because that correlates with your experience still does not make it an accurate or realistic picture. I'm not sure what percentage of Dubai is Indian but if they are a majority, then their day to day life is probably the 'truest' picture of Dubai.

hnd Jul 21st 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12299250)
No need to be very polite. ;)

Whether the article is bashing or praising Dubai I don't really care, my only point was both authors were extrapolating anecdotal information to justify their points. Just because that correlates with your experience still does not make it an accurate or realistic picture. I'm not sure what percentage of Dubai is Indian but if they are a majority, then their day to day life is probably the 'truest' picture of Dubai.

Can't agree with you. Everyone's experience of life in Dubai is a 'true' experience. Just because there may be more members of one particular nationality than of any other nationality doesn't make their experience of Dubai life any more 'true' than that experienced by the others.

weasel decentral Jul 22nd 2017 2:39 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12299354)
Can't agree with you. Everyone's experience of life in Dubai is a 'true' experience. Just because there may be more members of one particular nationality than of any other nationality doesn't make their experience of Dubai life any more 'true' than that experienced by the others.

Whoops bad English on my part, I meant most typical or commonest experience.

Millhouse Jul 22nd 2017 3:04 am

But does it actually matter?

Articles for or against the place are not really going to change it. Yes it is rotten and has horrible income disparity...just like much of the rest of the developing world.

At these least guys mostly only treat the foreigners badly, in most other developing places they treat their own badly.

weasel decentral Jul 22nd 2017 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12299803)
But does it actually matter?

Articles for or against the place are not really going to change it. Yes it is rotten and has horrible income disparity...just like much of the rest of the developing world.

At these least guys mostly only treat the foreigners badly, in most other developing places they treat their own badly.

I like any argument based on moral relativity :lol: good work young grasshopper

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 23rd 2017 5:14 am

Second article made me chuckle. I like a rebuttal article picking something apart line by line, because it's what such lazy bullshit that first one deserved.

I did like in the second the highlighting of the 'middle classes' as a glaring omission. That's where we sit (her and I), we're not total *****, I've never been to many of those types of restaurants, I've raised money for local charities here, we aren't paid a ridiculous fortune and all the rest of it.
To us, it's a normal city in the respect that we get paid, we live, we save and we're lucky it affords us some pleasantries along the way. It's not a hard place to live and it's not hard to remain decent in the process.

The woman in the first article is probably an idiot.
The lay out of the second is annoying with all the bold and stuff, but it probably appeals to the types of people they expect to read their site, skim it, get the basics, think they know everything, vote Corbyn. :eek:

Millhouse Jul 23rd 2017 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12300622)
Second article made me chuckle. I like a rebuttal article picking something apart line by line, because it's what such lazy bullshit that first one deserved.

I did like in the second the highlighting of the 'middle classes' as a glaring omission. That's where we sit (her and I), we're not total *****, I've never been to many of those types of restaurants, I've raised money for local charities here, we aren't paid a ridiculous fortune and all the rest of it.
To us, it's a normal city in the respect that we get paid, we live, we save and we're lucky it affords us some pleasantries along the way. It's not a hard place to live and it's not hard to remain decent in the process.

The woman in the first article is probably an idiot.
The lay out of the second is annoying with all the bold and stuff, but it probably appeals to the types of people they expect to read their site, skim it, get the basics, think they know everything, vote Corbyn. :eek:

You may not feel it scampy, but your joint income is far from middle class.

DXBtoDOH Jul 23rd 2017 6:10 am

I consider myself middle class by my definition. I am not comparing myself to the South Asian white collar office workers. It's not quite fair.

The middle class is a huge segment with a range of incomes and if you need to work to maintain your lifestyle then you are middle class.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12300662)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 23rd 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12300662)

What do you reckon middle class is?

ExpatAl Jul 23rd 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12300682)
What do you reckon middle class is?

The term is so subjective these days...

hnd Jul 23rd 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12300693)
The term is so subjective these days...

Not to mention pejorative. What's wrong with being 'middle class'?