Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The latest in Dubai Bashing Articles

The latest in Dubai Bashing Articles

Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:24 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The latest in Dubai Bashing Articles

Originally Posted by Ethos83

In the West, we don't jail women for giving birth outside marriage, or committing adultery, or god forbid, for being in the same room with a man.
Not yet...Muslim immigration and population growth in the West, particularly in Europe will make these things a reality it will be hard to fight against in a few decades. We already recognise Sharia law in several civil matters.

At least the locals here can kick us out without international condemnation. The UK can't even eject bogus asylum seekers and known terrorists without every human rights group moaning at us.

N.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:44 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if the article was actually printed in the parallel local hard copy version of The Times available for purchase in Dubai? Or was it only in the on-line version? I'd be very surprised if it was in hard copy.

Being the cynic that I am, I suspect that there are certain sorts of lefty journos who feel that they alone are the torch bearers of global free speech - given the recent UAE Gov. press restrictions - could they be attacking Dubai from afar as a reaction to these press restrictions?

Lots of what was written was true but it was certainly not the whole story, was very negatively slanted, is not really News to anyone who knows the region and is no different to what happens in Saudi/Bahrain - no mention at all of some of the good/postive things that happens here.

Anyway, note an important correction to the arcticle that I picked up from another discussion forum: -

"Iliana, Luba and Keri don't work in the Rattlesnake. They work in Rockafellas"
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:56 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Not yet...Muslim immigration and population growth in the West, particularly in Europe will make these things a reality it will be hard to fight against in a few decades. We already recognise Sharia law in several civil matters.

At least the locals here can kick us out without international condemnation. The UK can't even eject bogus asylum seekers and known terrorists without every human rights group moaning at us.

N.
On one hand you like the way they can kick people out without any problem, but on the other hand you don't seem to like sharia law's attitude to women...Reminds me of that hard-line Muslim cleric in last week's Mail article complaining about to many do-gooders...

Can't have it both ways, Norm!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
Does anyone know if the article was actually printed in the parallel local hard copy version of The Times available for purchase in Dubai? Or was it only in the on-line version? I'd be very surprised if it was in hard copy.

<snip>
It wasn't printed in the local edition of the Times. No surprise there...

-
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
On one hand you like the way they can kick people out without any problem, but on the other hand you don't seem to like sharia law's attitude to women...Reminds me of that hard-line Muslim cleric in last week's Mail article complaining about to many do-gooders...

Can't have it both ways, Norm!
Being able to kick out people of your country isn't Sharia law...it's common sense to avoid having loads of troublemakers and people who don't respect your customs or culture....

The UK could do the same tommorow as could ANY country and be within it's rights...Muslim countries aren't the only ones who don't allow certain foreigners to stay without let or hindrance.

So it can be had both ways

N.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

"Iliana, Luba and Keri don't work in the Rattlesnake. They work in Rockafellas" [/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this or read this from?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:01 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zico2009
"Iliana, Luba and Keri don't work in the Rattlesnake. They work in Rockafellas"
Where did you hear this or read this from?[/QUOTE]

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=17523

Obviously having a laugh....
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:46 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Being able to kick out people of your country isn't Sharia law...it's common sense to avoid having loads of troublemakers and people who don't respect your customs or culture....

The UK could do the same tommorow as could ANY country and be within it's rights...Muslim countries aren't the only ones who don't allow certain foreigners to stay without let or hindrance.

So it can be had both ways

N.
But given the real choice between the modern but imperfect UK and a low crime but medieval KSA, where would you choose to live long-term?

Stop being a ponce, Norm...

Last edited by littlejimmy; Jul 21st 2009 at 12:49 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The nice man in Arabian Business replies to Herr Liddle..........

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56368...thinks-im-evil
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:25 am
Just Joined

bmwm3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
In the West, we don't jail women for giving birth outside marriage, or committing adultery, or god forbid, for being in the same room with a man.
But... if we did, underage pregnancies would most likely come down, scallies getting pregnant to get on the council house list quicker should also decrease.

just my thoughts
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

The first paragraph, to me, explained the problem.

'Andrew' seemed to have landed in Dubai with the best apartment, massive salary, and amazing car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all expats in Dubai start with the best-of-the-best... or do they?

Surely, he is missing the point. I wouldn't have thought every expat is there for the fast cars and alcohol. As time goes by, and you learn the city, you increase your salary, you mix in different circles, more becomes accessible. It's an adventure.

To this man, it seems that there was no feeling of reward, just an endless amount of money that he loved to splash. Until he lost his job.

I don't know, I'm not living there yet. But it seems a very small minded review of the place. Life is what you make of it, if you don't like your surroundings - change.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amnesia180
The first paragraph, to me, explained the problem.

'Andrew' seemed to have landed in Dubai with the best apartment, massive salary, and amazing car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all expats in Dubai start with the best-of-the-best... or do they?

Surely, he is missing the point. I wouldn't have thought every expat is there for the fast cars and alcohol. As time goes by, and you learn the city, you increase your salary, you mix in different circles, more becomes accessible. It's an adventure.

To this man, it seems that there was no feeling of reward, just an endless amount of money that he loved to splash. Until he lost his job.

I don't know, I'm not living there yet. But it seems a very small minded review of the place. Life is what you make of it, if you don't like your surroundings - change.
what it should have said was Andrew arrived in Dubai and received a half decent salary, he wasn't too happy about that so he went to the bank and got himself a bank loan for 300k which he wasted on inflated rents, a porsche and cheap vino ...
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what it should have said was Andrew arrived in Dubai and received a half decent salary, he wasn't too happy about that so he went to the bank and got himself a bank loan for 300k which he wasted on inflated rents, a porsche and cheap vino ...

I've yet to find cheap vino... thankfully I hardly drink anymore.