Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Last nights lightning storm

Last nights lightning storm

Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last nights lightning storm

AMAZING, thats what it was,

I got back at 3am and stayed outside for about 30 mins watching it, no gaps between flashes, just kept going, it was brilliant,

But how come there was no thunder?
Attached Thumbnails Last nights lightning storm-image003.jpg   Last nights lightning storm-image004.jpg   Last nights lightning storm-image007.jpg  
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:18 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last nights lightning storm

I'm pretty sure I heard thunder, but with quite a delay - would explain it if it were hitting the burj... we're 25km away. Although I wasn't up at 3am...

Nice pics, btw.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:31 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy

I got back at 3am and stayed outside for about 30 mins watching it, no gaps between flashes, just kept going, it was brilliant,

Great pics..send some to the BBC..they'll put it on their website !
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

There was even 2 minutes of hail on Diyafah road before the rain...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:35 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaWarrior
There was even 2 minutes of hail on Diyafah road before the rain...
I was at Dubai Marina...didn't get any rain...but there was strong winds, which blew open my balcony door, which was slightly ajar. Gave me a fright while I was watching War & Peace Part III on TV
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

it was hailing on the east side of SZR as well yesterday, at one point i thought someone was throwing something at the windows.

My friend didn't have a pool outside the front of her house until last night... too bad it smelt like poo
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

At 0655 I went through the Ghantoot area..... The rain/hail was incredible. It was like the retreat from Moscow! Hail stones the size of golf balls. For a 10 km stretch it looked like a war zone, cars with smashed windows, two 5 car pile ups and about 6 minor bumps. The leaves have been shredded form the central reservation trees for a couple of kms. And then back to swirling dust storms.... A colleague who was 10 mins ahead of me now has a car that is going to need a lot of bodywork. It looks like someone has been going over it with a hammer, giving it the 'dimpled look' - he is not too impressed!

A colleague has just shown me his Prado with smashed windscreen, and another his Audi A8 with smashed rear screen - car park looks like survivors from a demolition derby!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy

pretty amazing photos. Thanks for sharing them.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:39 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear
At 0655 I went through the Ghantoot area..... The rain/hail was incredible. It was like the retreat from Moscow! Hail stones the size of golf balls. For a 10 km stretch it looked like a war zone, cars with smashed windows, two 5 car pile ups and about 6 minor bumps. The leaves have been shredded form the central reservation trees for a couple of kms. And then back to swirling dust storms.... A colleague who was 10 mins ahead of me now has a car that is going to need a lot of bodywork. It looks like someone has been going over it with a hammer, giving it the 'dimpled look' - he is not too impressed!

A colleague has just shown me his Prado with smashed windscreen, and another his Audi A8 with smashed rear screen - car park looks like survivors from a demolition derby!
we've got a tree next to us that has been damaged, so what happens?

They sent some indian dude up, no cherry picker, harness, nowt - climbs up and his mate passes the chainsaw and off he goes getting rid of the dangerous branches,

awesome.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear

Parked motorbikes were being blown down easily by the wind. Chairs from the cafes were being overturned like they were paper. When the rain died down, a couple of ambulances were seen racing down the road going to Jumeira.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The rain was horizontal at around 9.00pm last night. Looked like a monsoon blowing through and roads were flooded after 10 minutes.

Loved the lightening storm.

-
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:14 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
I was at Dubai Marina...didn't get any rain...but there was strong winds, which blew open my balcony door, which was slightly ajar. Gave me a fright while I was watching War & Peace Part III on TV
There was rain - all the people sitting outside at Burger House at JBR (where I was "enjoying" dinner) had to run inside...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:26 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

You trying to say you got a fleg?????
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:21 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
You trying to say you got a fleg?????
I assume a fleg is Doric..never heard of that one ?

No a feartie...but the door did fly open and hit the main window frame with a very loud bang...and I levitated above the couch for a second or two !
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:23 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I assume a fleg is Doric..never heard of that one ?

No a feartie...but the door did fly open and hit the main window frame with a very loud bang...and I levitated above the couch for a second or two !
Aye, its mair Doric than Scots.. As in, mechty, yon door banging in the wie fair gied me a fleg....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.