Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

At last, a brilliant article about our troops in Afghanistan

At last, a brilliant article about our troops in Afghanistan

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default At last, a brilliant article about our troops in Afghanistan

The excellent Jonathan Foreman writing in The Spectator. His fee for the article is going to BLESMA and Help for Heroes.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magaz...s-of-war.thtml

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 26th 2009 at 2:57 pm. Reason: proper link
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At last, a brilliant article about our troops in Afghanistan

OK - correct link now above (thank God for editing)

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 26th 2009 at 2:58 pm. Reason: link
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:55 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

just skimming through it now on my split screen,

he is spot on...

when you read the statistics of the wounded etc, its sobering reading..

Come home safely Boys and Girls
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Brave men and women out there, bring them home safely indeed.

I remember at the beginning of this year when I was in Doha - sunning myself with a mate, sipping a few cocktails on the Intercontinental beach and I noticed a couple in front of us who couldn't keep their hands to themselves. Nothing lurid mind - just always cuddling or holding hands when they were on their sun loungers -and I got chatting to the guy. He was a soldier on a short 4 day leave break from the fighting in Afghanistan and met his girlfriend/fiancee in Doha. You could see that they were really living every moment as I suspect they never knew if it was going to be the last time they'd see each other.

Such a strange feeling really I had that day after I met them - thinking how lucky I am farting about a beach every weekend, drinking cocktails, living a good life in the Middle East and getting paid a tidy sum compared to most without really breaking into a sweat; here's this soldier who doesn't get paid much, UK Govt. providing less than effective equipment and aftercare back home who was going to fly back into a war zone in a few days time and could be killed. Made me really sit back and realise how luck I was - and how brave he and his girlfriend/fiancee was. Fingers crossed he's safe and sound.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Agree to all that was said...would like to add I wish the same to all the American soldiers out there.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Danajj View Post
Brave men and women out there, bring them home safely indeed.

I remember at the beginning of this year when I was in Doha - sunning myself with a mate, sipping a few cocktails on the Intercontinental beach and I noticed a couple in front of us who couldn't keep their hands to themselves. Nothing lurid mind - just always cuddling or holding hands when they were on their sun loungers -and I got chatting to the guy. He was a soldier on a short 4 day leave break from the fighting in Afghanistan and met his girlfriend/fiancee in Doha. You could see that they were really living every moment as I suspect they never knew if it was going to be the last time they'd see each other.

Such a strange feeling really I had that day after I met them - thinking how lucky I am farting about a beach every weekend, drinking cocktails, living a good life in the Middle East and getting paid a tidy sum compared to most without really breaking into a sweat; here's this soldier who doesn't get paid much, UK Govt. providing less than effective equipment and aftercare back home who was going to fly back into a war zone in a few days time and could be killed. Made me really sit back and realise how luck I was - and how brave he and his girlfriend/fiancee was. Fingers crossed he's safe and sound.
Nice sentiments - well said.

I like the way the article focuses on the wounded rather than those who have been killed - often overlooked, and this is a poignant reminder.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:36 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, people tend to forget those maimed...these people and there families have to live with the scars...