British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Laptop / Tablet buying tip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/laptop-tablet-buying-tip-816193/)

Irishbeekeeper Nov 26th 2013 10:35 am

Laptop / Tablet buying tip

Hi guys,
Carrefour has an 18% price drop on all it's stock of laptop / tablets for just today so if you have been meaning to buy something, I would recommend you go do it now. Usually they are obnoxiously expensive but today I would say their prices are good.
You get the 18% back in points on your Carrefour Club card i.e. about 200 aeds worth of vouchers on a buy of about 2000aed plus some laptops have an extra 100/50 additional voucher as well which you can use to buy a gift card and then able to use it for the next year I think.
Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know. :)
The lines are long but I would recommend you get the invoice made today and get the delivery at a later date when the mad rush is over.
Cheers

Irishbeekeeper Nov 26th 2013 10:40 am

Re: Laptop / Tablet buying tip

and no I don't work for Carrefour :D
I just bought a couple myself so wanted to share :p

flares Nov 26th 2013 11:20 am

'avec Carrefour Je positif' as the little jingle on French radio used to go

Blue Cat Nov 26th 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11008276)
Hi guys,
Carrefour has an 18% price drop on all it's stock of laptop / tablets for just today so if you have been meaning to buy something, I would recommend you go do it now. Usually they are obnoxiously expensive but today I would say their prices are good.
You get the 18% back in points on your Carrefour Club card i.e. about 200 aeds worth of vouchers on a buy of about 2000aed plus some laptops have an extra 100/50 additional voucher as well which you can use to buy a gift card and then able to use it for the next year I think.
Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know. :)
The lines are long but I would recommend you get the invoice made today and get the delivery at a later date when the mad rush is over.
Cheers

MOE was rammed earlier!

Kix Nov 26th 2013 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 11008390)
MOE was rammed earlier!

Oh joy, I have to head down there in 45 mins.

Blue Cat Nov 26th 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11008396)
Oh joy, I have to head down there in 45 mins.

be prepared to queue

Irishbeekeeper Nov 26th 2013 12:09 pm

well they have different days for different products
like 1 day for laptops, 1 day for TVs etc
will carry on for another week or so I think

Kix Nov 26th 2013 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 11008401)
be prepared to queue

Not to Carrefour thank goodness, but interesting what they're doing and why...

Blue Cat Nov 26th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11008406)
Not to Carrefour thank goodness, but interesting what they're doing and why...

18 years here in the UAE

shiva Nov 26th 2013 12:25 pm

Bit unfair on Carrefour that as they usually have a couple of laptops at below market price. That said its Dubai so there is always somewhere cheaper

Irishbeekeeper Nov 26th 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11008421)
Bit unfair on Carrefour that as they usually have a couple of laptops at below market price. That said its Dubai so there is always somewhere cheaper

Well, you are right
cheap-ER is relative here in Dubai
A guy would pay 40% extra for something if buying from a mall while the same thing will be available from a small vendor at a much better price and while still allowing a decent profit margin to the vendor
but Im in this business so I keep an eye on their prices all the time, and 99% of the stock they keep is marked up
tbh, I am told they always buy on credit (90 days etc) so they probably get marked up prices anyway
aaaaaaaaaand the latest update is their voucher payment system has crashed and their customer services department just committed ritual hara-kiri :rofl::rofl:

winter Nov 26th 2013 1:27 pm

I suspect that Carrefour has increased the prices, to save on the 18 percent

Bahtatboy Nov 26th 2013 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11008463)
just committed ritual hara-kiri

Nice to see it spelt correctly. Was the 43rd anniversary of Yukio Mishima's death yesterday.

How's that for off-topic?

Irishbeekeeper Nov 26th 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11008670)
Nice to see it spelt correctly. Was the 43rd anniversary of Yukio Mishima's death yesterday.

How's that for off-topic?

ah yes, I remember reading about this guy a long time ago although I must admit I had to look him up on wiki as I didnt know his name and ofcourse didnt know that he was such an accomplished writer, I must look up some of his books now

I remember empathizing with this guy on some level

Bahtatboy Nov 26th 2013 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11008761)
ah yes, I remember reading about this guy a long time ago although I must admit I had to look him up on wiki as I didnt know his name and ofcourse didnt know that he was such an accomplished writer, I must look up some of his books now

I remember empathizing with this guy on some level

Make that brilliant. The Sound of Waves is a good introduction, and then you can take it as dark as you want.