Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Landlords - getting tricky again?

Landlords - getting tricky again?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landlords - getting tricky again?

Is it just me or do does it seem as through landlords in Dubai are getting more difficult to deal with again? Mine’s playing funny beggars over renewing my contract. They want to increase the rent by 5k – despite the RERA index showing no increase is due – which I could accept to be fair as the price has stayed the same for the past 3 years. However, they also want me to take on organisational and financial liability for things like fitted white goods, a/c unit, water heater and the furnishing and fittings they’ve supplied (it’s a furnished apartment), which I’m not prepared to do.

They reckon it’s too much hassle for them to be responsible for maintenance – in 3 years I’ve had 3 instances of needing maintenance which have cost then a total of 4k, and I’ve got the quotes, let in the work crews, paid and then reclaimed the money from them.

Speaking to an agent yesterday she reckoned most landlords in Downtown at least were expecting rent in 1 cheque and were unwilling to negotiate on this or price, admittedly she was from one of the largest agencies who are themselves not very helpful and always have properties listed at the top end or above of values.

Anyway with the tales a few other bored members have had late and now my own experience it just struck me that landlords seem to be becoming increasingly inflexible and are stretching the rules again as the rental market apparently becomes healthier.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlords - getting tricky again?

Yup Dubai is back or at least the strong belief that it is and along with it will come the greed, traffic, insane pricing etc

The bubble is back I just wonder how long this one will last
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Its ironic to say a city is "back" when things improve for 5-10%, and worsen for the rest.

The 1 cheque system is absurd, with landlords expecting tenants to take out loans from banks to pay rent.
Also, if things go wrong later on or the owner does not pay his service fees, it screws the tenant , and him alone

I met an agent yesterday who claimed the norm now is to pay a deposit before making an offer to a landlord. Even if the landlord refuses my offer, i wont get the deposit back, so its effectively paying 1000 dhs for the opportunity to negotiate.

I cant imagine a more lopsided rental market than Dubai (Doha maybe?)

The only hassle many owners are willing to go through is to drag themselves to the bank and cash a cheque, once a year only.
They dont want to cash cheques twice, they dont want to pay for maintenance, they dont want to pay agents anything, some dont even want to pay service fees.

Last edited by Maxima; Feb 26th 2013 at 3:42 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:00 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

RERA and the laws of Dubai are very firmly on the side of the tenant. It just needs more people with the chutzpah to challenge and, if necessary, take the LL to the Rent Committee. But whilst people continue to roll over and have their tummy tickled so the LL will simply demand more & more, because they can.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Yup Dubai is back or at least the strong belief that it is and along with it will come the greed, traffic, insane pricing etc

The bubble is back I just wonder how long this one will last
I am guessing about 18 months
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
RERA and the laws of Dubai are very firmly on the side of the tenant. It just needs more people with the chutzpah to challenge and, if necessary, take the LL to the Rent Committee. But whilst people continue to roll over and have their tummy tickled so the LL will simply demand more & more, because they can.
I know we should do this, but having considered it and made enquirers about what I needed to do once, I thought better of it. I think I had to pay something like 5% of the value of the total lease as a deposit, get everything translated into Arabic, visit RERA to deliver contract copy, vise etc etc, potentially have to go back multiply times to give 'evidence', all of which would I presume be need to be done during my working hours.

The laws may be stacked in the tenants favour, but the process isn't. There is a tipping point where jumping through the burning hoops becomes a necessity of course, but in my opinion, LLs can get away with too much before the hassle of tackling them through RERA becomes worthwhile.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I am guessing about 18 months
Bored sweeper on this anyone AED10 each, closest wins the pot?

I'm going for 21 months.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep View Post
Bored sweeper on this anyone AED10 each, closest wins the pot?

I'm going for 21 months.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:03 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I know we should do this, but having considered it and made enquirers about what I needed to do once, I thought better of it. I think I had to pay something like 5% of the value of the total lease as a deposit, get everything translated into Arabic, visit RERA to deliver contract copy, vise etc etc, potentially have to go back multiply times to give 'evidence', all of which would I presume be need to be done during my working hours.

The laws may be stacked in the tenants favour, but the process isn't. There is a tipping point where jumping through the burning hoops becomes a necessity of course, but in my opinion, LLs can get away with too much before the hassle of tackling them through RERA becomes worthwhile.
Yeah, I had the issue of LL wanting to increase from 62,500 to 75,000.

Quoted RERA a few times and we ended up at 70,000.

Quoted RERA again and we ended up with him saying that he wants to move his staff in.

Quoted RERA again and we agreed to 65,000 to save the bullshit processes.

Happy-ish landlord because he got more, happy Scamp because it was less hassle.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:03 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's different this time.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
It's different this time.
Don't bring your negativity into this thread, this time there will be no bust.

has your office manager allowed you some time on the internet?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:09 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Don't bring your negativity into this thread, this time there will be no bust.

has your office manager allowed you some time on the internet?
the bubble will burst again, they have learnt nothing from the last recession.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
the bubble will burst again, they have learnt nothing from the last recession.
No it won't they have learned now to avoid the issues from the last time. I for one will be pouring my money into any property schemes I can find.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:18 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
No it won't they have learned now to avoid the issues from the last time. I for one will be pouring my money into any property schemes I can find.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:30 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody keeps saying the law is on the tenants side (and it probably is), but what are the absolute rights of the tenant?

Every article I have read on the topic either gives only half the information, hints at the details or refers to other sources (which of course is either not readily available or is equally vague). If the law is as straightforward as everyone keeps saying would it not be possible to put together a fact sheet and make this available to everyone who wants to know?

Some questions I have not been able to answer;

1. What happens if you cannot agree with your landlord on how much you should be paying at contract renewal?
2. If neither you nor landlord do anything at the scheduled renewal point (usually 2 months prior to contract end) will your contract just roll over on the same terms?
3. If the contract does roll over (as per point 2) and your landlord refuses to sign a new one (with new dates) what effect does this have on ejari?
4. What are the notice periods (as per the law) for termination of the contract by the landlord? (My understanding is that they vary according to scenario, but where is the burden of proof that a particular scenario is applicable to your situation?)
5. Will the landlord need to raise the case with RERA if he wants more money and you don't agree (or is it your problem as the tenant)?
6. Can the landlord throw you out as long as you do not break any of the clauses relating to your responsibilities as a tenant (stated in contract)?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.