Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Lance Armstrong says he won't fight doping charges.

Lance Armstrong says he won't fight doping charges.

Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong says he won't fight doping charges.

I am still not convinced Kix (Rose tinted glasses).

As far as I am aware no one has ever stood up in a court of law (cyclist or non cyclist) and said 'Lance Armstrong is guilty'!

Its ok for the USADA to say they have a raft of conclusive evidence and people willing to testify but why werent they brought forward years ago?

I am 50/50 with this, my heart says he isnt a cheat my head says he is!

I am now going for a period of reflection outside................wearing my rose tinted glasses!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:39 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
I am still not convinced Kix (Rose tinted glasses).

I am 50/50 with this, my heart says he isnt a cheat my head says he is!!
I agree, sad isn't it when your heros don't live up to your expectations.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I agree, sad isn't it when your heros don't live up to your expectations.
I guess we will never know now if he did or not. I'd put my house on that he did in an era when they all did. Sad really.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:41 pm
Banned

Little Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

LA is a big hero of mine
I don't know much about Lance Armstrong, but I don't think he's done anything in his life thats worth hero worship. He was a world class cyclist- I've known a few world class athletes in my life and there's something wrong with each and everyone of them..They were introverts as children so they just practiced whatever they do endlessly, or they are obsessive compulsive or suffer from some other phycological disorder. They are like those body builders that go too far, completely unaware that they have become freaks..

Its great to be in shape or be able to run 26 miles but these guys are just going too far and damaging their hearts in the long run. I'm middle aged and I'm in better shape than any former world class athlete that I know. They all have problems because the heart only has so many miles on it before it stops working right..

And I did hear on the radio that Lance Armstrong dumped his wife the minute she got cancer, then dumped his girlfriend when she caught it. Thats not a hero..
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

When i was cycling many years ago he was my hero and quite frankly I dont give a flying **** what went on in his subsequent private life. You have your opinions and I have mine, lets leave it at that!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Strange reaction to this.

I hope he didn't cheat, but it seems the general consensus is that most of them were around that time, so if he was it didn't matter.

If he did cheat then the sentence is fair, he should be stripped of it all.

All of that to one side, the cancer charity and his work on that front is something that should commended and long may it continue.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:23 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Strange reaction to this.

I hope he didn't cheat, but it seems the general consensus is that most of them were around that time, so if he was it didn't matter.

If he did cheat then the sentence is fair, he should be stripped of it all.

All of that to one side, the cancer charity and his work on that front is something that should commended and long may it continue.
I think the fact most of his team mates and manager got banned for doping, he refused to let france retest his 1999 samples for EPO and he is not fighting this meaning he wont face a Jury and the ex team mates testifying against him is the admission of guilt.

That said as you rightly say he deserves utmost credit for his charity work, maybe that eases his conscience?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I think the fact most of his team mates and manager got banned for doping, he refused to let france retest his 1999 samples for EPO and he is not fighting this meaning he wont face a Jury and the ex team mates testifying against him is the admission of guilt.

That said as you rightly say he deserves utmost credit for his charity work, maybe that eases his conscience?
All of that is circumstantial isn't it though?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. He may be tired of fighting the rumours but if it was me, I'd fight to the end if I knew I was innocent.

Maybe it does. I always found him quite affable so am happy to separate the two Lance Armstrong's and the LiveStrong work deserves lots of credit irrespective of who the 'other' Lance Armstrong is.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. He may be tired of fighting the rumours but if it was me, I'd fight to the end if I knew I was innocent.
Maybe it does. I always found him quite affable so am happy to separate the two Lance Armstrong's and the LiveStrong work deserves lots of credit irrespective of who the 'other' Lance Armstrong is.
Chose your battles wisely.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:41 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

There are far too many people that want to shit on him regardless of his Charity work, and people very close to him. He is as likely to have never taken drugs as I am never a pint or Marlboro Red.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...whistleblowers

And your second point is bang on about fighting rumours, he has previously said about the "guiding principles" taught to him by his mum: that "to give up was to give in". something reiterated in his autobiography, "Pain is temporary,If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

And he quit...........I just hate cheats...........

Last edited by britexpat76; Aug 26th 2012 at 1:45 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Chose your battles wisely.
probably why he refused to cooperate with the trial; he knew he was screwed with soo many eyewitesses close to him implicating him.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

So why didnt they implicate him three years ago?

Last edited by Karlos The Jackal; Aug 26th 2012 at 1:50 pm. Reason: Shit typing!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:18 pm
Shark Fisherman

So why didnt they implicate him three years ago?
They probably did, though we will only ever be aware of what is reported.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't heard a convincing explanation as to how/why the US Anti-Doping Agency thinks it has jurisdiction over the Tour de France. I've asked my two favourite TdF media gurus (Brendan Gallagher of the Telegraph and Ben Dirs of the BBC Sport website) the same question, and they don't get it either..............

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 26th 2012 at 2:23 pm. Reason: .
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:26 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I still haven't heard a convincing explanation as to how/why the US Anti-Doping Agency thinks it has jurisdiction over the Tour de France. I've asked my two favourite TdF media gurus (Brendan Gallagher of the Telegraph and Ben Dirs of the BBC Sport website) the same question, and they don't get it either..............
You don't think that its vaguely possible that an American institution may be exhibiting slight signs of a tendency to something close to arrogance? No, sorry, what was I thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.