Lady boss...

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lady boss...

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Still in the denial phase?

I had a "women boss" (as the media insists on calling them, like "women soldiers" etc. Why can't they just be "Female soldiers" FFS?) but it's never worked out in the end, we faught too often on the issue of doing exactly as told by our parent company v.s. making them money so they wouldn't dare question what we where doing (I took the latter view). She left and a new manager was appointed, and everybody was happy .

There are some things men are just better at, like taking risks and being in leadership roles. You can argue against it as much as you like but even in "progressive" organisations men usually rise faster and are more ambitious.
I have no idea why the term is 'woman soldier'. Seems to me that just soldier wil do. Just because you had one lousy female boss doesn't mean that all are useless. I am sure you have had a crap male boss at some point, but did it lead you to believe that all men are bad bosses? No.

And you know I will argue against your last paragraph. I will agree that in general men are more ambitious than women, but you cannot apply your comments to 100% of women. Some of us women do take risks, are good at leading and do progress.

Overall, it appears that women do not like the same level of 'cut & thrust' in business and are more drawn to the 'caring' and less combative careers. Whether this is by nature or nurture I do not know.

-
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Lady boss...

Originally Posted by MataHari
I would encourage him to the bitter end...
Agreeable arrangement. He keeps you in designer rags and mows the garden, in exchange you play tidy housewife and shop while he's playing "hide the todger" with the mistress (discreetly of course, you have a public profile to maintain and function to attend togeather). I'm liking you already MH, when I get conned into the marraige scam I might get you to have a word with the Mrs. so I can have a similar arrangement .
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:58 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Agreeable arrangement. He keeps you in designer rags and mows the garden, in exchange you play tidy housewife and shop while he's playing "hide the todger" with the mistress (discreetly of course, you have a public profile to maintain and function to attend togeather). I'm liking you already MH, when I get conned into the marraige scam I might get you to have a word with the Mrs. so I can have a similar arrangement .
I could write a book about it...but I guess that would be too much like working...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:05 am
Banned

AlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
What do I think? Utterly ridiculous of course. I really don't see why men and women in the work place should be treated differently and to keep on about supposed differences just creates tensions. (Before the naysayers start -yes there are some physical diffrences but they don't affect the majority of jobs.)

It is 2008 and I just don't get why so many people want to behave as if it is 1958. This town is enough of a time warp on its own.

-
"I really don't see why men and women in the work place should be treated differently..."
Why? Because "Women don't ask" (Linda C. Babcock, Sara Laschever, Princeton University Press), and men tend to take advantage of it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lady boss...

I am sure you have had a crap male boss at some point, but did it lead you to believe that all men are bad bosses? No.
Not really. The thing is with a bloke you can just take him down to the pub on a Friday, buy him a pint and tell him you think he's being a tosser and stepping on your toes. Issue resolved .

Try that with a female manager and you'd always be silently resented until you had her replaced. In the end men tend to gel togeather and do what's in their best interest (On almost all occasions I can think of though it's been beneficial to the employer as well).
And you know I will argue against your last paragraph. I will agree that in general men are more ambitious than women, but you cannot apply your comments to 100% of women. Some of us women do take risks, are good at leading and do progress.
There are a few who enjoy being on the leading edge, the problem is that they'll always be tarred with the same brush unless they prove themselves.
Overall, it appears that women do not like the same level of 'cut & thrust' in business and are more drawn to the 'caring' and less combative careers.

Whether this is by nature or nurture I do not know.
I usually see this as not wanting to be on the front lines, the problem is that's where reputations are made. The 'soft' options are usually low risk and low reward.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:33 am
Banned

AlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to all

Not really. The thing is with a bloke you can just take him down to the pub on a Friday, buy him a pint and tell him you think he's being a tosser and stepping on your toes. Issue resolved .

Try that with a female manager and you'd always be silently resented until you had her replaced. In the end men tend to gel togeather and do what's in their best interest (On almost all occasions I can think of though it's been beneficial to the employer as well).
There are a few who enjoy being on the leading edge, the problem is that they'll always be tarred with the same brush unless they prove themselves.
I usually see this as not wanting to be on the front lines, the problem is that's where reputations are made. The 'soft' options are usually low risk and low reward.
"low risk and low reward". That is usually what keeps the world spinning, people tend to think themselves as a little slicker than they really are, then they end up panting out of their offices holding a carton box and a sad smile, everybody around grinning really hard or just LOL.

It is an old habit indeed, scholars liked to believe that the game hunter-gatherers were bringing back to the tribe was what make them all survive.

It was not, it was too low in calories for the effort required, too random as a source of nutrients to be relied on. The collection of berries and roots/seeds/other edibles, and the first farming/harvesting, mostly operated by women while the men were out having fun was the real staple, and it is thanks to those women that we are here now clicking on our keyboards.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Lady boss...

Originally Posted by AlmostPregnant
"low risk and low reward". That is usually what keeps the world spinning, people tend to think themselves as a little slicker than they really are, then they end up panting out of their offices holding a carton box and a sad smile, everybody around grinning really hard or just LOL..
I've never known anyone to be fired for taking a risk, only if it ends badly do things start to get messy. It's amazing what employers will tollerate in fact just for a few more quid in the bank, but in the end that's all that matters to anyone in a position of power. Regional managers answer to senior managers, senior managers to the board and the board to shareholders.

If the shareholders are kept happy you can do no wrong, witness the current financial 'crisis' (or "adjustment towards a more reasonable value" as I like to call it) in the banking sector. Shareholders where happy assuming NINJA loans would work and valued them highly...
It is an old habit indeed, scholars liked to believe that the game hunter-gatherers were bringing back to the tribe was what make them all survive.

It was not, it was too low in calories for the effort required, too random as a source of nutrients to be relied on. The collection of berries and roots/seeds/other edibles, and the first farming/harvesting, mostly operated by women while the men were out having fun was the real staple, and it is thanks to those women that we are here now clicking on our keyboards.
We adapt. Men battle the same demons in a different form.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

I've never known anyone to be fired for taking a risk, only if it ends badly do things start to get messy."
This is what I call "understatement". Or maybe you are just plain young. Because I know plenty who lost more then their job for taking a risk, but, maybe, I'm just old

It's amazing what employers will tollerate in fact just for a few more quid in the bank
This is called "greed".

, but in the end that's all that matters to anyone in a position of power
This is called "being shortsighted".

. Regional managers answer to senior managers, senior managers to the board and the board to shareholders.
This is called "humor".

If the shareholders are kept happy you can do no wrong, witness the current financial 'crisis' (or "adjustment towards a more reasonable value" as I like to call it) in the banking sector. Shareholders where happy assuming NINJA loans would work and valued them highly...
This is called "lying". Hint: the theory of information, in Economics, is interesting truly (IMHO) is the information is "true" and "not misleading". The "shareholders" you mentioned were "assuming" basing their assumption on what, exactly?

We adapt.
Not truly. We die, mostly. Those few who survived (having no notion why that happened, by the way), will pass genes forward, waiting for the next test, of which they have no clue about, and therefore, cannot really "adapt" to.

Men battle the same demons in a different form.
Sounds nice. What does it mean, though?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I knew you'd post on this...
just trying to easy the cold turkey after BeardMan stopped posting...
lol - beardman was hilarious! I'm sure he is the man in Ray's funny picture....
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

There are some things men are just better at, like taking risks and being in leadership roles. You can argue against it as much as you like but even in "progressive" organisations men usually rise faster and are more ambitious.
I am quite risk averse by nature and think I'm an okay boss (I'm guessing since my ex-colleagues - both male and female, still visit me and want me to take them in my new department ......and they did give me that splendid farewell!).

I'm not very ambitious - am just good at my job and the rest just falls in to place I guess....

So despite not being 'better' at taking risks, not very ambitious, I've risen very fast.....

Yeah, my current boss is fantastic.

Last edited by IndieG; Sep 23rd 2008 at 11:18 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

First time I have seen the board in days - excellent timing there, but see my edited post MH.

Anyway I was a lovely boss. My old staff all keep in touch with me.

-
Why did you stop being a boss??? Did your boss fire you???
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Why did you stop being a boss??? Did your boss fire you???
I left the UK. I am now self-employed.

Never been fired, you cheeky git!

-
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK. I am now self-employed.

Never been fired, you cheeky git!

-
What's wrong with being fired?

It doesn't have the stigma it used to have......... I got 'downsized' a few years ago when about 30 percent of that firm's workforce were culled all at once.......

Best thing that ever happened to me - and the firm died a painful death within two years.......

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 24th 2008 at 11:38 am. Reason: ea
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
Best thing that ever happened to me .......
Why - did you have a lady boss after that?!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:24 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

This is called "humor".
I didn't get it until you said this, you must work for Navistar/International Harvester AICMFP .
This is called "lying". Hint: the theory of information, in Economics, is interesting truly (IMHO) is the information is "true" and "not misleading". The "shareholders" you mentioned were "assuming" basing their assumption on what, exactly?
On whatever they thought future growth was going to be and however they chose to value assets .

There is a fantastically long, informative and boring book on the subject by Benjamin Graham called “Securities Analysis”. It boils down to the fact that all investments require a little speculation because no company truly offers full disclosure on it's financial position (much less an up to date one), but in most cases you can make an educated guess as to the companies real value and growth potential it's financial records (often including the bits they don't want you to see, hidden in small print in the footnotes ).

It doesn't even take reading a book to realise however that if real estate price growth exceeds the growth in wages there is a problem in the long-term or that those who will fold first are those with “liar loans” or similar who can't meet their obligations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.