British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Lady boss... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/lady-boss-563118/)

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 5:57 am

Lady boss...

University researchers say women who have to answer to a female supervisor feel more stressed than if their superior is male.
They suffer from far more depression, insomnia, headaches and heartburn than if their boss is a man.

I could have told them that...no need for a university study...
Give me a man any day...

Meow Sep 23rd 2008 5:59 am

Re: Lady boss...

Not all female bosses are vile harridans, in the same way that not all male bosses are lovely.

Seems to be utterly pointless 'research' as what are they going to do with it? Put back the clock and install a huge glass ceiling?

-

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6810430)
Not all female bosses are vile harridans.

-

I knew you'd post on this...
just trying to easy the cold turkey after BeardMan stopped posting...

Meow Sep 23rd 2008 6:05 am

First time I have seen the board in days - excellent timing there, but see my edited post MH. :)

Anyway I was a lovely boss. My old staff all keep in touch with me. ;)

-

Charismatic Sep 23rd 2008 6:10 am

Men with sexist views 'earn more'

Men who grow up thinking women should stay at home may be labelled "old-fashioned" - but could end up well ahead in the salary stakes.

A US study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, suggests that they will consistently out-earn more "modern-thinking" men.

On average, this meant an extra $8,500 (£4,722) a year.

One UK psychologist said men inclined to wield power in their relationships might also do this at work.

The study, carried out by researchers at the University of Florida, was conducted on a large scale, with 12,686 men and women interviewed in 1979, when they were aged between 14 and 22, and three times in the following two decades, the last time in 2005.

The researchers asked them whether they believed a woman's place was in the home, or whether the employment of women was likely to lead to higher rates of juvenile delinquency.

Predictably, more men tended to hold these views than women, although the gap has narrowed significantly over time.

However, when the men were asked about their salaries, another gap emerged, with those holding "traditional" views earning significantly more.
Conversely, women who held the opposite view did earn slightly more, on average $1,500 (£833) more than women with "traditional" views.

Dr Timothy Judge, one of the researchers, said: "More traditional people may be seeking to preserve the historical separation of work and domestic roles - our results prove that is, in fact, the case."

Dr Magdalena Zawisza, a psychologist from Winchester University, said that there were a number of theories which might explain the difference.
She said: "It could be that more traditionally-minded men are interested in power, both in terms of access to resources - money in this case - and also in terms of a woman who is submissive.
"Another theory suggests that employers are more likely to promote men who are the sole earner in preference to those who do not - they recognise that they need more support for their families, because they are the breadwinner." - BBC.
What do you think about that? In fact while your thinking just nip to the kitchen and make me a nice cup of tea pet :D.

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6810446)
What do you think about that? In fact while your thinking just nip to the kitchen and make me a nice cup of tea pet :D.

I am not sure Meow is the right person to ask that sort of thing..but hey you can try...

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6810446)

anyway...this suggests that there are in fact men without sexist views....haha

Meow Sep 23rd 2008 6:15 am

What do I think? Utterly ridiculous of course. I really don't see why men and women in the work place should be treated differently and to keep on about supposed differences just creates tensions. (Before the naysayers start -yes there are some physical diffrences but they don't affect the majority of jobs.)

It is 2008 and I just don't get why so many people want to behave as if it is 1958. This town is enough of a time warp on its own.

-

Meow Sep 23rd 2008 6:16 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6810453)
I am not sure Meow is the right person to ask that sort of thing..but hey you can try...

:rolleyes:

-

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6810458)
It is 2008 and I just don't get why so many people want to behave as if it is 1958. This town is enough of a time warp on its own.

-

oh I don't know...I am not completely averse to the let the man think he is in control scenario and still do whatever the hell I think is right...

Meow Sep 23rd 2008 6:25 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6810472)
oh I don't know...I am not completely averse to the let the man think he is in control scenario and still do whatever the hell I think is right...

Whilst sitting at home chatting on a message board all day and spending the money he has earned?

-

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6810479)
Whilst sitting at home chatting on a message board all day and spending the money he has earned?

-

the perfect setup...

Charismatic Sep 23rd 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6810458)
What do I think? Utterly ridiculous of course. I really don't see why men and women in the work place should be treated differently and to keep on about supposed differences just creates tensions. (Before the naysayers start -yes there are some physical diffrences but they don't affect the majority of jobs.)

Still in the denial phase? ;)

I had a "women boss" (as the media insists on calling them, like "women soldiers" etc. Why can't they just be "Female soldiers" FFS?) but it's never worked out in the end, we faught too often on the issue of doing exactly as told by our parent company v.s. making them money so they wouldn't dare question what we where doing (I took the latter view). She left and a new manager was appointed, and everybody was happy :thumbsup:.

There are some things men are just better at, like taking risks and being in leadership roles. You can argue against it as much as you like but even in "progressive" organisations men usually rise faster and are more ambitious.

Charismatic Sep 23rd 2008 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6810479)

Or when he leaves the SWMBO at home to keep the place clean, thinking he is at work when he's actually out having fun or banging the office girl silly? ;)

MataHari Sep 23rd 2008 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6810503)
Or when he leaves the SWMBO at home to keep the place clean, thinking he is at work when he's actually out having fun or banging the office girl silly? ;)

I would encourage him to the bitter end...