Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Lad I work with right.....

Lad I work with right.....

Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:10 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lad I work with right.....

Originally Posted by earlswoody
Google it...the percenatge that are born abnormal is about the same as the general population.
and the general population is normal?

I'm cured!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Must be a cultural difference. Could be my cousins are down right ugly, but wait a minute... no; I think it's cultural.
Do I hear dueling banjoes?
But my parents weren't related in any way by the way - I hope you can actually work it out.

Most of my cousins are ugly - just this one in guy - I think the babies must have been switched in the nursery when he was born or somethhing.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:12 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
But my parents weren't related in any way by the way - I hope you can actually work it out.

Most of my cousins are ugly - just this one in guy - I think the babies must have been switched in the nursery when he was born or somethhing.
Do you hear banjoes???
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:12 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You can't say that "their kids are born normal" cousins share a gene pool and if there is a strong possibility both of them are "carriers" of a particular gene. If for instance that they were both carriers of something like cystic fibrosis, then there would be a chance of them having a child with the disease. If you marry someone who doesn't come from the same gene pool, chances of carrying the same genetic defects are less.

There are differing opinions on this but I recall there is actually a syndrome...

named: Jerash Motor Neuronopathy(named after place in Jordan) because of the huge risk of kids born to cousins suffering paralysis. The evidence is so damning I cannot understand why its still allowed.

Last edited by Eva; Nov 9th 2008 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Google it...the percenatge that are born abnormal is about the same as the general population.
Why would I need to google something that I know to be true, cousins are far more likely to have a similar genetic makeup than a person who isn't a blood relative. I wouldn't like to take the risk would you.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:22 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
There are differing opinions on this but I recall there is actually a syndrome...

named: Jerash Motor Neuronopathy(named after place in Jordan) because of the huge risk of kids born to cousins suffering paralysis. The evidence is so damning I cannot understand why its still allowed.

Here's the link.It makes me mad -the Jordanian Lady with 10 disabled kids-describes it as fate!!!!!(maybe 2nd page in)

Jerash Motor Neuronopathy

http://216.230.204.101/mehealth/sep03_article1.pdf
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Here's the link.It makes me mad -the Jordanian Lady with 10 disabled kids-describes it as fate!!!!!(maybe 2nd page in)

Jerash Motor Neuronopathy

http://216.230.204.101/mehealth/sep03_article1.pdf
It's a pity Eva that genetic counseling isn't mandatory for blood relatives that marry. A lot of people don't understand the concept of two supposedly normal people who are "carriers" getting together and each passing on the same defective gene to their child, causing the child to inherit the disorder.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:33 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

These are an example that cousins are OK to marry, whats wrong with these twins then.

Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:39 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a pity Eva that genetic counseling isn't mandatory for blood relatives that marry. A lot of people don't understand the concept of two supposedly normal people who are "carriers" getting together and each passing on the same defective gene to their child, causing the child to inherit the disorder.

There's been a few attempts to raise awareness of the risks and it is big business now selling Genetic Testing Kits-the thing is even when the results are weighted against a healthy child-the couple CAN still go ahead and marry!!!.Hegemony and Nepotism- dirty words all about keeping wealth and power.
http://www.uaeinteract.com/docs/Pre-...unched/519.htm
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:41 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

These are an example that cousins are OK to marry, whats wrong with these twins then.

RL]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n227/higgsy18/ugly-men20copy.jpg[/URL]

Shrek's the Daddy!!!!!!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:34 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Its popular in Uae too.45% marriages between cousins

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...November25.xml

And thus the number of abnormalities in babies. A fact that is 'hidden' but many babies have surgery at a very young age to correct a specific problem.

I think marrying your cousin is revolting.

-
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:47 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's not uncommon in the Middle East - 7 Days did something about problems with the gene pool a few years ago.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:03 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Yet they could still have a child free of genetic defects if they use IVF and a screening process . This is totally legal.

Now imagine how many diseases we could cure by simply chopping out some genetic code and splicing in a "healthy" sequence. Even with recessive genes we could use some healthy code to prevent future generations from suffering. This would get you into big trouble however .

Logic?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lad I work with right.....

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It's not uncommon in the Middle East...
Not a Jane Austen fan then? Our aversion to it in the "West" is quite recent as well .
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:35 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Not a Jane Austen fan then? Our aversion to it in the "West" is quite recent as well .
I guess it all depends on what you consider 'recent' to be. Although maybe I should have made an exception for European royalty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.