Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Labourer With A Death Wish.... I saved his life.

Labourer With A Death Wish.... I saved his life.

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:51 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labourer With A Death Wish.... I saved his life.

Did you stop to give the running man a piece of your mind ?
You know, it's funny that you say that. I actually was very calm the whole time, I just checked my mirror to see if he made it across safely and carried on driving. I think the fact that he stared death in the face had more of an impact then some guy shouting at him in a foreign language.

I did actually think 'why didn't you stop and belt seven kinds of shit out of him for nearly killing you and a bunch of other innocent road users' it might have been the new relaxed me.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Porky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bison
Are you a complete tosser or something?

You wouldn't be driving at that speed with a brick wall in front of you (I was speaking hypothetically)

But let's say the brick wall just jumped out in front of you, would you be able to avoid it using cadence braking, probably not.

In my case the labourer was not in the middle of the road, do you think I would just carry on driving towards a person in the middle of the road without slowing down, don't be stupid.

The road was clear and the labourer bolted out at the last second, cadence braking would 100% not have avoided me hitting the labourer, it merely would have made the impact less severe.

My method however saved him from getting intimate with the front of my car and kept everybody and my car in one piece.

Cadence braking is fantastic and I agree with you that it works, but depends which situation you are in, I adapted to the situation I was in as I knew it was the only viable option.

Some drivers who are taught the cadence method and that stick to it are not necessarily adapting to the situation are they?

Bison
No, I'm not a complete tosser or stupid but thanks for asking !
Usual pattern with a Bison driving thread, someone has the audacity to question you and you start with the insults.

Again, I drive to suit the conditions, to compare a labourer in front of you to being a brick wall is not valid, you can steer round a person which would be the point of cadence braking, that's not possible once you've locked up.

Oh and spare me any more insults please.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:09 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I drive to suit the conditions, to compare a labourer in front of you to being a brick wall is not valid, you can steer round a person which would be the point of cadence braking, that's not possible once you've locked up.
It all depends on the distance to the object that's suddenly appeared in front of you! If he had stepped out a second later no braking at all locking up or cadence would have saved him.

Change the brick wall to a lamp post for arguements sake, you still would no be able to cadence brake and avoid the lamp post at such a short distance.

I am quite happy to put it to the test if you like, we can go out into the desert on a nice quiet road, we'll stick a big foam post in the road, you do cadence and i'll use my method at a set point and see who hits the post, in fact I am so confident that I will prove you wrong that I would be happy to use a concrete post.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Porky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nicePorky Pig is just really nice

It all depends on the distance to the object that's suddenly appeared in front of you! If he had stepped out a second later no braking at all locking up or cadence would have saved him.

Change the brick wall to a lamp post for arguements sake, you still would no be able to cadence brake and avoid the lamp post at such a short distance.

I am quite happy to put it to the test if you like, we can go out into the desert on a nice quiet road, we'll stick a big foam post in the road, you do cadence and i'll use my method at a set point and see who hits the post, in fact I am so confident that I will prove you wrong that I would be happy to use a concrete post.
Change it to a lamp post and there is no doubt cadence braking would save you.
I have used this technique many times on the track to avoid trouble ahead.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porky Pig
No, I'm not a complete tosser or stupid but thanks for asking !
Usual pattern with a Bison driving thread, someone has the audacity to question you and you start with the insults.
I think every driving thread Bison starts, I will give a rundown of how many times I've mopped my kids bike tracks and footprints of the villa floor. That'll give him some idea as to how fascinated I am by his driving.

I haven't actually mopped today, better get cracking so I have something to report for the next driving thread.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:19 am
100% British Beef

Change it to a lamp post and there is no doubt cadence braking would save you.
I have used this technique many times on the track to avoid trouble ahead.
So you don't think the cars brakes and the stopping distance are factors?

Are you saying that if you were driving an escalade with brakes from a 1970 Morris Minor on you would still avoid the object using Cadence braking? I think your argument is ever so slightly floored.

B
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

So you don't think the cars brakes and the stopping distance are factors?

Are you saying that if you were driving an escalade with brakes from a 1970 Morris Minor on you would still avoid the object using Cadence braking? I think your argument is ever so slightly floored.

B
Brakes and stopping distances are of course factors, and that should be taken into consideration as part of the driving conditions.

If I were driving an Escalade with 1970 Morris Minor brakes I would severely limit my speed. If you know your cars got shit brakes maybe you should limit your speed too ?

You still seem to be missing the point of cadence braking not being about stopping, it's more about maintaining control, and especially the ability to steer.

My argument is not flawed (i.e.not floored) and I said above have put it into practice many times
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

bison you are my hero..

..said with 'tinny'
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:21 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

sadly, i await the 7 days headline.....

yet another statistic..

Ill arrange a fitting message for your headstone...

'Bison was a clown who thought he knew everything. he didnt and now he is in little bits in this wooden box below'

If only he grew up and started acting like a man and not a boy.

goodnight vienna another muppet bites the dust..
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:52 am
100% British Beef

sadly, i await the 7 days headline.....

yet another statistic..

Ill arrange a fitting message for your headstone...

'Bison was a clown who thought he knew everything. he didnt and now he is in little bits in this wooden box below'

If only he grew up and started acting like a man and not a boy.

goodnight vienna another muppet bites the dust..
Thanks mate..... Really nice thing to say.

I can't quite understand why you would write that, I mean ok if I was driving like a twat and speeding then fine, I would totally agree and would deserve becoming a statistic, but I was driving under the speed limit at the time and I avoided the said labourer and remained in full control the whole time.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I can't quite understand why you would write that, I mean ok if I was driving like a twat and speeding then fine, I would totally agree and would deserve becoming a statistic, but I was driving under the speed limit at the time and I avoided the said labourer and remained in full control the whole time.
you had to pull a scandinavian flick to avoid killing someone........................................... ......................

YOU WERE DRIVING LIKE A TWAT IF YOU WERNT YOU WOULDNT HAVE HAD TO
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:58 am
100% British Beef

you had to pull a scandinavian flick to avoid killing someone........................................... ......................

YOU WERE DRIVING LIKE A TWAT IF YOU WERNT YOU WOULDNT HAVE HAD TO
How is driving in a straight line on a motorway under the speed limit driving like a twat? Go on enlighten me...

The twat in this incident was the labourer, simple. You do NOT run across a Motorway in front of moving cars.

And if driving like a twat avoids killing people, maybe everyone should drive like a twat..... is that what your saying?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:59 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

cause all you do is go on about how great you are at driving. Like i said on one of your previous (funnily enough similar) threads, my father has spent a career picking up remains and scraping guts of mostly young guys out of cars.

Cars driven by cocky, know it all, im an advanced driver, im better than you at driving, speed doesnt kill etc etc idiots.

It wasnt meant to be nasty, and im sure you have already disregarded it. Afterall advice is not a thing you take i would guess.

its actually tragic, and i hope i never read about it, but i wouldnt be surprised. If not to you then there will be another 'you' on the road who will meet there maker in this fashion.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:04 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

How is driving in a straight line on a motorway under the speed limit driving like a twat? Go on enlighten me...

The twat in this incident was the labourer, simple. You do NOT run across a Motorway in front of moving cars.

And if driving like a twat avoids killing people, maybe everyone should drive like a twat..... is that what your saying?
you saw people by the side of the road obviously about to cross, you failed to take into account any likelihood of them crossing in front of you. you then had to take extreme measures to avoid an accident when they did. where is the surprise? where is the rocket science in understanding that had you had a brain that was capable of allowing for an event to occur in the future you would have allowed yourself sufficient time to avoid said mad capped maneuvers by slowing down and allowing for an event beyond your control.

Its called good driving and since i and everyone else is wasting their time by trying explain this to you i will bow out here as your boring me now with your lack of understanding and immature thought processes
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

and on and on and on it goes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.