British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Kuwaiti law will require all residents to submit DNA info to the State. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/kuwaiti-law-will-require-all-residents-submit-dna-info-state-861165/)

Boomhauer Jul 3rd 2015 4:03 am

Kuwaiti law will require all residents to submit DNA profile to the State.

Article says all residents - citizens and non citizens - will have to submit their DNA to the authorities , which is entered into a national database.

Failure to do so will result in stiff punishment.

Under the law, people who refuse to give samples for the test face one year in jail and a fine of up to $33,000 (29,700 euros). Those who provide fake samples can be jailed for seven years.
https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/ku...154521142.html

The excuse they are using is the ISIS attack.

Bahtatboy Jul 3rd 2015 6:49 am

Re: Kuwaiti law will require all residents to submit DNA info to the State.

Seems reasonable if its managed properly.

Boomhauer Jul 3rd 2015 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11690690)
Seems reasonable if its managed properly.

My jaw just hit the floor.:eek:

These kind of laws are Orwellian.

Bahtatboy Jul 3rd 2015 7:24 am

I did say “if”

Bahtatboy Jul 3rd 2015 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11690701)
My jaw just hit the floor.:eek:

These kind of laws are Orwellian.

But actually: really? Most (?) countries in the world require you to carry some form of identification, so the DNA sample is just an extension of that. A requirement also of many countries is fingerprints when applying for a residence visa--I've known many people rile at that, but I just don't get it: what's the difference, in essence, between that and having your photo taken? Again, a DNA sample is just an extension. I have no issues with it in principle, but its the practice in the third world that would worry me.

redShark Jul 3rd 2015 10:19 am

Re: Kuwaiti law will require all residents to submit DNA profile to the State.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11690630)
Article says all residents - citizens and non citizens - will have to submit their DNA to the authorities , which is entered into a national database.

Failure to do so will result in stiff punishment.

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/ku...154521142.html

The excuse they are using is the ISIS attack.

This is quite a sensitive subject that needs to be handled with extreme discretion. I remember back in the eighties a similar move was thought out in some constituent country in the world (I am not going to mention names, given the quality of some people on this board) and a process of gathering people’s DNA and logging them into a database was initiated. Very soon after the process had started it was called to an immediate halt and the reason given was that the gathered DNA figures started showing some irregularities where some people who though they belonged to their families, in genetic terms they actual did not. Such a phenomenon is extremely unlikely to show up in Kuwait given the strict state and the cultural rules concerning the females in that society, but certainly in other parts of the world the case is quite different and therefore if such a survey is to be conducted it should certainly be done under strict state control rules with undisclosed results.

Bahtatboy Jul 3rd 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11690769)
This is quite a sensitive subject that needs to be handled with extreme discretion. I remember back in the eighties a similar move was thought out in some constituent country in the world (I am not going to mention names, given the quality of some people on this board) and a process of gathering people’s DNA and logging them into a database was initiated. Very soon after the process had started it was called to an immediate halt and the reason given was that the gathered DNA figures started showing some irregularities where some people who though they belonged to their families, in genetic terms they actual did not. Such a phenomenon is extremely unlikely to show up in Kuwait given the strict state and the cultural rules concerning the females in that society, but certainly in other parts of the world the case is quite different and therefore if such a survey is to be conducted it should certainly be done under strict state control rules with undisclosed results.

It would be quite astounding if the authorities used the samples to test for familial connections outside of crime solving. Mind you, given the mind-set of some countries, I wouldn't put it past them. However, the stated intention is to solve crimes, and one would hope that arcane religious fixations on sexual practices won't come into play.

shiva Jul 3rd 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11690769)

i'd insert a suitable remark here referring to consanguinity but i like my freedom too much

norsk Jul 4th 2015 5:13 am

I have some concerns over the privacy and handling of such a sensitive database, but overall I think that keeping a DNA register of all citizens/residents is a fairly logical thing to do.

Most developed countries are already building a database in some capacity. UAE have also said they are in the process of doing so. How would you know if they already started or not? They already take your blood.

A small excerpt from everyone's least favourite rag..

The international police agency Interpol listed 54 nations with national police DNA databases in 2009, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany and China. Brazil and India have since announced plans to join the club, and the United Arab Emirates intends to build the world's first database of an entire national population.

Governments are compiling massive DNA databases, including those never convicted of a crime | Daily Mail Online
If you are not a bad *****er and don't plan on breaking the law you have nothing to hide. Unless you are a genius they are not going to clone you either are they...

redshark as usual talks about stuff he knows nothing about. :thumbdown:

Standanista Jul 4th 2015 5:20 pm

It's to flush out the alien hybrids. Ask David Icke.

Beakersful Jul 4th 2015 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11691360)
redshark as usual talks about stuff he knows nothing about. :thumbdown:

I dunno......Haven't you watched Jerry Springer/Jeremy Kyle?

It'd probably bring down the economy (or society) with all the resulting divorces and court hearings.

norsk Jul 5th 2015 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11691720)
I dunno......Haven't you watched Jerry Springer/Jeremy Kyle?

It'd probably bring down the economy (or society) with all the resulting divorces and court hearings.

My point is that DNA databases in UK/US and so on exist mainly for the purpose of solving crime and medical research. There are some more specialized databases as well, for example US Army keep a record of all their people to ensure there are no more unknown soldiers. Nothing wrong with any of these initiatives in my book...

I just cannot see how there would be political appetite to check if kids are legitimate or not on a big scale, and what would be the objective anyway. To claim that a programme was shut down for this purpose is ludicrous.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 5th 2015 7:03 am

Think of the inbreeding that would be on display with a database of DNA in the GCC.

Millhouse Jul 5th 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11691889)
Think of the inbreeding that would be on display with a database of DNA in the GCC.

There is probably only three unique sets of DNA that they need to store. It'll be a small database - more of a notebook.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 5th 2015 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11691898)
There is probably only three unique sets of DNA that they need to store. It'll be a small database - more of a notebook.

Sounds like Portsmouth.