Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur - any recommendations?

Kuala Lumpur - any recommendations?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:31 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuala Lumpur - any recommendations?

Hi,

Off to Kuala Lumpur this weekend for 3 days on way to Langkawi (can't wait!)

Just wondered if any one had any KL tips on must see sights, areas for food, drinks etc?

I have a decent list - but wonder if anyone had any recommendations?

Cheers!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:40 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuala Lumpur - any recommendations?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hi,

Off to Kuala Lumpur this weekend for 3 days on way to Langkawi (can't wait!)

Just wondered if any one had any KL tips on must see sights, areas for food, drinks etc?

I have a decent list - but wonder if anyone had any recommendations?

Cheers!
Have a blast mate! We did the rotating restaurant which was good, can't remember what it was called though. That was the posh night. The other night we went to a huge area with hundreds of street vendors and little eateries, very tasty and cheap as chips, although there were no chips. Again, I'm hopeless at remembering place names, but it's very well known...might be the market. Anyway, loads to see and do. Enjoy!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

We stopped off in KL with our nippers two and a bit years ago after a week at Cherating Club Med.

The park below the Petronas towers was good for the kids as was the KL bird park and good views from the KL tower or Menara KL.

The road with all the hawker stalls is well worth a visit too.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Must see sights: Petronas towers (KLCC), KL Tower (which has the revolving rstaurant Seri Angkasa IIRC), Bukit Bintang street (a touristy sort of street).

All 3 are within a mile of each other.

The foodie street is supposed to be near Bukit Bintang, and is called Jalan Imbi, but we found it a bit too dirty for our tastes, but there were loads of tourists there.

There are good restaurants spread out throughout the city; there is one called Seri Melayu, very popular with tourist groups, as it has buffets and cultural shows, but some may consider it a bit too touristy
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Beach Bar. Just look out for the trannies on the street corners-voices like the taxi driver from The League of Gentlemen.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

There is Petalang street with all the stalls selling fakes. its just off the monorail so dead easy to get to. 3 grades of fake there with the bottom grade being crap but the top grade is excellent.
Street cafes at the top end and a delight if you are a Guinness drinker as they have 750 ml or may have been litre bottles of the 'foreign extra" super strength Guinness that is a meal in itself. Fell out of the cafe very happy.

If you want to do Petronas towers then heres two tips. Each trip up is controlled to a certain number of people. They only issue tickets early in the morning regardless of when you in the day you want to go up. So get there early. If however you dont make it then use some Arabic greetings to the male staff at the reception. I got there at 3 in the afternoon and was told there was no tickets but when garbled some arabic and said I was from Bahrain they slipped me in on the back of the groups about half an hour later.
By the way if you think its impressive in the day then take a look at night, its truly awesome.

Great Mall there as well but it will melt the credit card.

I had great fun wandering about, the taxis are a bit mad and more mopeds than I have ever seen in my life however road transport is slow around the city so again if you can, use the monorail which is quicker and cheaper

Oh and a final tip. The taxi drive from the airport is long and not overly interesting but you can get the fast train from the airport to KL central for next to nothing. From there either taxi to hotel or get on the monorail, again cheap as chips. The locals are super friendly.

One of my fave places I have visited so far. Only shit part was the Gulf Air flight to get there.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back this weekend from hols in KL, Penang and Langkawi. In KL, after accidentally wandering into the Beach Bar Cafe, we made a hasty exit and found a really excellent bar & restaurant nearby called NEO Tamarind which I would highly recommend. On Penang, you have to have some nasi kandar at Line Clear and the food court near the Padang is a really interesting place to visit. On Langkawi, the Gulai House at the Datai is good (as is the Pavilion, also at the Datai).
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
In KL, after accidentally wandering into the Beach Bar Cafe, we made a hasty exit...
Fair comment, unless you'd been cooped up in Yorkshire for the preceding 10 years.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The Beach Bar. Just look out for the trannies on the street corners-voices like the taxi driver from The League of Gentlemen.
that certainly is one of the well known spots !
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
that certainly is one of the well known spots !
The amusing thing is, I wanted to go into the Sangria Bar opposite, but my wife was insistent that the Beach Cafe looked better (from the outside).