Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

KSA allow women drivers

KSA allow women drivers

Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:42 am
Just Joined

missunderstood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: KSA allow women drivers

At least it is a step in the right direction. There's no need to take the michael at the expense of the Saudis. Cultures and customs needs to be respected after all no matter how much we disagree with them. Find some of the comments a bit racist and uncalled for. Applaud the fact that the Govt is changing their stance albeit a hundred years behind!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by missunderstood
At least it is a step in the right direction. There's no need to take the michael at the expense of the Saudis. Cultures and customs needs to be respected after all no matter how much we disagree with them. Find some of the comments a bit racist and uncalled for. Applaud the fact that the Govt is changing their stance albeit a hundred years behind!
Good grief.

Imagine the come back if I'd said; "oh it's a shame they're bowing to modernity and international pressure. I respect their traditions of stopping women from doing things that mean do."
Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi's in general are a bunch of motha f*kers...pardon my french.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missunderstood
I assume you are on the wind up
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
apparently not....and they will also not require permission from their male counter parts to take lessons and apply for the license.
Awesome, I'm looking forward to being boob flashed by a car load of women at 100mph on the causeway to Bahrain on a Thursday night. Then I'll know equality has finally be achieved
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Awesome, I'm looking forward to being boob flashed by a car load of women at 100mph on the causeway to Bahrain on a Thursday night. Then I'll know equality has finally be achieved
i thought you were in India?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Busylizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's brilliant news for KSA. Will totally shake it up in a very positive way. Congratulations to them. I understand that there are still lots of rules around it (only daylight hours basically) but still great for the economy and the region.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/pbox....ias&t=20170517
Why put this particular picture up? Is this supposed to be a representation of a saudi woman driving?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Busylizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good grief.

Imagine the come back if I'd said; "oh it's a shame they're bowing to modernity and international pressure. I respect their traditions of stopping women from doing things that mean do."
Not at all. You've missed the point. If you read some of the responses and pictures people are putting up i.e. A curtain between the two lanes and the niqab woman driving - just an example of taking the mic out of another culture.

just don't think there is any need to completely rip the p*** out of a country like that. Have you lived and worked in saudi? Do you know Saudis personally? Who gives people the right to pass judgement?

Someone just put up a statement about saudi being m*****s. I mean come on. That's downright racism.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:27 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Oh goodness, maybe great for western women but I wouldn't trust the locals. It was bad enough in Bahrain with the local women causing accidents.

In fact, Saudi is one of those place where I was relieved as a woman to not have to drive - its insanity over there.
You get used to it, and even enjoy it after a while. I've never been to UAE so I can't comment, but it is really that much worse in Saudi?

Personally, I would always rather drive myself because of the madness. Rather have me in control that some random guy from India, Pakisatan etc who doesn't care about my life as much as I do.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:30 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's brilliant news for KSA. Will totally shake it up in a very positive way. Congratulations to them. I understand that there are still lots of rules around it (only daylight hours basically) but still great for the economy and the region.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/pbox....ias&t=20170517
Any rules will have to get relaxed after a while. I think it's just the initial first step that is the most difficult.

I'm guessing that as a nod to the hardliners they can't do too much in one go.

Be interesting to see what happens, and how it works out.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TheShed
But who will employ the 1m + Indian and Pakistani family drivers??
That's all part of the plan to lessen the need for expats. Wealthier families will no doubt keep a driver for convenience.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:34 am

apparently not....and they will also not require permission from their male counter parts to take lessons and apply for the license.
See millions of them wandering around in the malls on their own, getting in taxis etc so why not.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Busylizzy
Not at all. You've missed the point. If you read some of the responses and pictures people are putting up i.e. A curtain between the two lanes and the niqab woman driving - just an example of taking the mic out of another culture.

just don't think there is any need to completely rip the p*** out of a country like that. Have you lived and worked in saudi? Do you know Saudis personally? Who gives people the right to pass judgement?

Someone just put up a statement about saudi being m*****s. I mean come on. That's downright racism.
Lighten up, can't you see the funny side?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:38 am

Saudi's in general are a bunch of motha f*kers...pardon my french.
I like them. Met and worked with some great guys here.

Admire their inbuilt ability to try to do the least amount possible.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Busylizzy

You're going out of your way to be upset and offended and I don't really care because that's entirely your choice and your problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.