Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Kitty Kat Come Home Quick...

Kitty Kat Come Home Quick...

Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:05 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitty Kat Come Home Quick...

Before the skies of Northern Europe are once more blackened by volcanic ash...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cientists.html
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitty Kat Come Home Quick...

Meow, is there force majeure / extenuating circumstances relief if we get stuck in UK for longer than planned and run over the maximum number of days in UK for income tax exemption?

(Damn. I've responded to a Dail Fail thread. And one started by LH. Slap.)
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Meow, is there force majeure / extenuating circumstances relief if we get stuck in UK for longer than planned and run over the maximum number of days in UK for income tax exemption?

(Damn. I've responded to a Dail Fail thread. And one started by LH. Slap.)
Not that I know of. Interesting question though. I wonder if HMRC would give a little leeway if there is proof of intent to leave? If I get time I'll see if I can get any info on that.

Bear in mind that we quote 90 odd days a year, but you can often go over that if you are non-resident for more than four years, as it is really only an average. If you spend rather less than 90 days a year on average you should be fine going over for the odd year, provided you are long-term non-resident.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:41 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Not that I know of. Interesting question though. I wonder if HMRC would give a little leeway if there is proof of intent to leave? If I get time I'll see if I can get any info on that.

Bear in mind that we quote 90 odd days a year, but you can often go over that if you are non-resident for more than four years, as it is really only an average. If you spend rather less than 90 days a year on average you should be fine going over for the odd year, provided you are long-term non-resident.
I though that there was... i.e. special circumstances. However, not sure this would be sufficient as you could leave the country (just not by air). I thought that it was more set up for the event where you have returned to the UK to see a sick parent and they have taken longer to die than expected.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
I though that there was... i.e. special circumstances. However, not sure this would be sufficient as you could leave the country (just not by air). I thought that it was more set up for the event where you have returned to the UK to see a sick parent and they have taken longer to die than expected.
Yes there is, but the OP was asking about volcanoes etc.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I fly back on Saturday. No chance of me getting stuck in Doha this time-phew- just Gatwick airport Fingers crossed please- surely my luck can't be that bad!