British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Kindles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/kindles-799648/)

jam25mack Jun 10th 2013 7:37 am

Kindles

Ola,

Do any of you folk use Kindles out here (DXB)? I have a Kindle Fire HD which my dear old Ma got me for my last birthday. She had registered it in her name so she could load some books on to it. I ended up un-registering it and then registering it in my name to stop her getting a credit card notification every time I downloaded some smut or whatever. The problem is now every time I try and download anything to it, it tells me to piss around with the country settings. I have tried it with the registration being here and also in the UK but it's still playing silly beggers. I think my Amazon account is a .com account and not .co.uk and also I only have a UAE credit card registered on it. Does anyone know if this is the problem? I.e. If I registered it on .co.uk and also used a UK card do you think this will help?

It's starting to really grind my gears!

finally, does anyone have any 'must have' apps that I need to download?

Autonomy Jun 10th 2013 7:47 am

Re: Kindles

I use the Kindle app on the ipad - I'm pretty sure to download from amazon.co.uk you need a UK credit card (which I do and use for Amazon).

jam25mack Jun 10th 2013 8:04 am

Thought it maybe something like that.

Will have a crack tonight and register with .co.uk with a UK card and then re-register my Kindle.

Paininthearse.com

mikelincs Jun 10th 2013 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10749251)
Ola,

Do any of you folk use Kindles out here (DXB)? I have a Kindle Fire HD which my dear old Ma got me for my last birthday. She had registered it in her name so she could load some books on to it. I ended up un-registering it and then registering it in my name to stop her getting a credit card notification every time I downloaded some smut or whatever. The problem is now every time I try and download anything to it, it tells me to piss around with the country settings. I have tried it with the registration being here and also in the UK but it's still playing silly beggers. I think my Amazon account is a .com account and not .co.uk and also I only have a UAE credit card registered on it. Does anyone know if this is the problem? I.e. If I registered it on .co.uk and also used a UK card do you think this will help?

Plenty if internet sites to download kindle books for free.. even the latest ones..

NorthernLad Jun 10th 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10749251)
Ola,

I had issues with mine. Setup your Amazon account at amazon.co.uk with UK address, then use UAE credit card. Mine works fine like that.

jam25mack Jun 10th 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10749438)
I had issues with mine. Setup your Amazon account at amazon.co.uk with UK address, then use UAE credit card. Mine works fine like that.

Cheers!:)

Millhouse Jun 10th 2013 11:36 am

No issues what so ever. I've had a US one and a UK one (currently US) both on a UAE card with no issues.

Only problem is I downloaded that shitty book weasel put together.

winter Jun 10th 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10749552)
No issues what so ever. I've had a US one and a UK one (currently US) both on a UAE card with no issues.

Only problem is I downloaded that shitty book weasel put together.

Since my recent purchase, Weasel's book, amazon have contacted me to say that my UAE credit card does not match my uk address, please provide a uk credit card. I can no longer use amazon.co.uk.
Same with my iPad, I can only use the UAE store to get apps, the UAE store is crap

mikewot Jun 10th 2013 1:56 pm

Program for converting any ebook format to any ebook format http://calibre-ebook.com/

scot47 Jun 10th 2013 1:57 pm

This is just punishment for deserting Mr Caxton.

OleJanx Jun 10th 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10749822)
This is just punishment for deserting Mr Caxton.

:D