British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Kenya seeks end to visa row after Dubai rulers expelled (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/kenya-seeks-end-visa-row-after-dubai-rulers-expelled-665867/)

shiva Apr 28th 2010 6:43 am

Kenya seeks end to visa row after Dubai rulers expelled

Too funny

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8646155.stm

"Kenya's foreign minister is in Dubai to defuse a row after members of the Gulf state's ruling family were deported as terror suspects.

The four were on holiday from Dubai in Kenya's resort of Mombasa over Easter, when immigration officers interrogated them for hours before expelling them."

http://africannewslive.com/?p=1670

lionheart Apr 28th 2010 7:05 am

Re: Kenya seeks end to visa row after Dubai rulers expelled

Not so funny if you one of the 30,000 plus hotel, restaurant and office workers from Kenya, who can no longer go home to visit their families for fear of being refused re-entry. Even worse for those trying to come here.
Typical for the UAE Ruling Government to penalise those less fortunate than themselves. As for the original deportation, if the guys were unable to persuade Kenyan Immigration that they were genuine tourists, they deserve all they got. Surely a quick phone call would have done the trick.

Dilmun Apr 28th 2010 7:53 am

I also like the part in the africannews article about , this being a typical case of racism against muslims. The guys became suspects, when they were seen trying to bribe some immigration officer.
:blink:

Millhouse Apr 28th 2010 7:56 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8526822)
Not so funny if you one of the 30,000 plus hotel, restaurant and office workers from Kenya, who can no longer go home to visit their families for fear of being refused re-entry. Even worse for those trying to come here.
Typical for the UAE Ruling Government to penalise those less fortunate than themselves. As for the original deportation, if the guys were unable to persuade Kenyan Immigration that they were genuine tourists, they deserve all they got. Surely a quick phone call would have done the trick.

I assume that we'll be seeing less Kenyan prossess too, or will they be carved out somehow?

soukie Apr 28th 2010 9:27 am

:rofl: :rofl: I wonder if there is a video of the interrogation! I expect there was lots of yanni...ings etc

The Dean Apr 28th 2010 10:21 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8526766)
Too funny

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8646155.stm

"Kenya's foreign minister is in Dubai to defuse a row after members of the Gulf state's ruling family were deported as terror suspects.

The four were on holiday from Dubai in Kenya's resort of Mombasa over Easter, when immigration officers interrogated them for hours before expelling them."

http://africannewslive.com/?p=1670

I wonder which members of the family................?

Inselaffen Apr 28th 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8526822)

not great news for a very close friend of the wife. she just lost her job but wants to stay in Dubai

lionheart Apr 28th 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8527134)
I wonder which members of the family................?

If you read the second article you will see their names and photos. Presumably second cousins thrice removed or whatever.

Jim Smith Apr 28th 2010 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8527326)
If you read the second article you will see their names and photos. Presumably second cousins thrice removed or whatever.

Don't sound like members of the Ruling family to me?

Dilmun Apr 28th 2010 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8527537)
Don't sound like members of the Ruling family to me?

But somehow they are all related here:)

Boomhauer Apr 29th 2010 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Dilmun (Post 8526929)
I also like the part in the africannews article about , this being a typical case of racism against muslims. The guys became suspects, when they were seen trying to bribe some immigration officer.
:blink:

How can they be racist against a religion that encompasses many races, especially considering there are Muslims in Kenya. Barack Obama's dad was born Muslim.

The chutzaph of claiming racism in the case is infuriating considering the Gulf royals and the region as a whole is tops when it comes to racism and treating other cultures, especially dark skinned people like sh.it. This is like the Klan being portrayed as victims of racism, only the Gulf royals make the Klan look like amateurs.

Not even getting into Arab slavery in Africa and their views on Black Africans and their support for the genocidal Arab Sudanese regime or slavery and Arab supremacy in Mauritania.

This kind of chutzpah of calling up as down and down as up, just grinds my gears.

Dilmun Apr 29th 2010 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 8528862)
How can they be racist against a religion that encompasses many races, especially considering there are Muslims in Kenya. Barack Obama's dad was born Muslim.

The chutzaph of claiming racism in the case is infuriating considering the Gulf royals and the region as a whole is tops when it comes to racism and treating other cultures, especially dark skinned people like sh.it. This is like the Klan being portrayed as victims of racism, only the Gulf royals make the Klan look like amateurs.

Not even getting into Arab slavery in Africa and their views on Black Africans and their support for the genocidal Arab Sudanese regime or slavery and Arab supremacy in Mauritania.

This kind of chutzpah of calling up as down and down as up, just grinds my gears.

You don't get here anywhere with logic or reasoning. Since we live in this part of the world my new favorite word became PATHETIC.
It describes everything and any situation you encounter here :)
You can also replace PATHETIC with the place your living in: Dubai!, Bahrain!, UAE!, Saudi!
It's fantastic, everybody will understand you, by using just this one single word....