Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Keeping a car in the UK for visits.

Keeping a car in the UK for visits.

Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

woodywoodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping a car in the UK for visits.

Hi There

if we come out...(notice everything this week is 'if') likely next weeks posts will start with 'when' one more interview to come...

anyway I digress... if we come out in September to teach, then we will be returning for 3 weeks at christmas and 8 weeks (all July / August) in 2013 ..year on year.

My question is, does anyone keep a car on standby at home for such / same visits..and if so how do they manage the insurance situation. I realise I can SORN regarding tax, but do we need to get a policy and then shut it down every visit... or are their companies that will do a bespoke product that will just insure at specific times on an annual basis..

anyone any experiences of this...

ta v much - Woody.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:24 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a car in the UK for visits.

Originally Posted by woodywoodster
Hi There

if we come out...(notice everything this week is 'if') likely next weeks posts will start with 'when' one more interview to come...

anyway I digress... if we come out in September to teach, then we will be returning for 3 weeks at christmas and 8 weeks (all July / August) in 2013 ..year on year.

My question is, does anyone keep a car on standby at home for such / same visits..and if so how do they manage the insurance situation. I realise I can SORN regarding tax, but do we need to get a policy and then shut it down every visit... or are their companies that will do a bespoke product that will just insure at specific times on an annual basis..

anyone any experiences of this...

ta v much - Woody.
Unless its your absolute pride and joy (and even then, I would question why..), I wouldn't even bother keeping it.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good option as you currently propose it

If you have a relative who will keep drivng it around as their regular driver then that is one workable option and we do this with our Landy

To park a car up for 8 months and expect it to be happy when you come back is unrealistic.

I am sure I read somewhere that you either had to keep it insured even if off the road or the Gov was proposing it

Either get it used by someone else or flog it.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

agree...don't keep the car

If I were so lucky to have so much time off I'd rent at X-mas and buy an old banger at the beginning of summer and scrap it 8 weeks later. Not sure about the insurance on the banger though or if it will count towards tax status
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan to retain a car in the UK and are no longer resident you will have to change or amend the insurance, which will cost you more. A standard UK contract is for residents only.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
If you plan to retain a car in the UK and are no longer resident you will have to change or amend the insurance, which will cost you more. A standard UK contract is for residents only.

Thanks all... if I am living in the UK for about 11 weeks and keeping a house going here surely having an address is enough to maintain some sort of usual car insurance... or is that not the case?

woody?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all... if I am living in the UK for about 11 weeks and keeping a house going here surely having an address is enough to maintain some sort of usual car insurance... or is that not the case?

woody?
No. It isn't. You will be non-resident and your standard insurance will be invalid.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Also, keep an eye on your tax days, you don't want to have to pay your tax because you came home for half term etc. 11 weeks is 77 days and you're getting close to the allowance of 93.

Also, you need to do a full year abroad (tax year 2013-2014) to not have to pay tax. Meow will be able to say it much more sensibly than me!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:55 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by al dente
Also, keep an eye on your tax days, you don't want to have to pay your tax because you came home for half term etc. 11 weeks is 77 days and you're getting close to the allowance of 93.

Also, you need to do a full year abroad (tax year 2013-2014) to not have to pay tax. Meow will be able to say it much more sensibly than me!
In the current tax year the maximum time allowable in the UK from 6th April to 5th April to retain non-resident status. Once the Statutory Residency Test comes into effect on 6th April 2013, this will change and some people will have reduced limits if they have 'connecting factors'. (We're still awaiting the final legislation!)

You don't have to spend a full tax year abroad, but in this tax year you can spend no more than 90 days in the UK to be non-resident, although once you are overseas for several years partial years can become moot.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Would owning a UK car be a 'connecting factor'?

That's what I was getting at in earlier post
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Would owning a UK car be a 'connecting factor'?

That's what I was getting at in earlier post
It's not on the original list on the consultation document.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's not on the original list on the consultation document.
what about a season ticket at The Stadium of Light ?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Cheers everyone for your thoughts on this... I need to investigate further. Its my nice (if old now) Audi 4x4 that tows my Caravan...which I will also be using upon my return in Summer. Picking up a scrapper with a tow bar seems a bit of hastle. I may need to get my parents to run it as a second car and pay them insurance / tax money (that way they can put us on the insurance as named drivers)... thanks all again - Woody
Old Apr 27th 2012, 5:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone for your thoughts on this... I need to investigate further. Its my nice (if old now) Audi 4x4 that tows my Caravan...which I will also be using upon my return in Summer. Picking up a scrapper with a tow bar seems a bit of hastle. I may need to get my parents to run it as a second car and pay them insurance / tax money (that way they can put us on the insurance as named drivers)... thanks all again - Woody
rent?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 6:52 am
Just Joined

I would need to work out what it would cost to rent a normal car for 3 weeks at christmas and one with a tow bar for 8 in the summer.... then do the Maths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.