Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

Originally Posted by csdf
It would be better to do both.
There are both. I think the balance is about right--whether the total capacity is right or not, I don't know.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I simply question whether Dubai needs yet more shops.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked at that render the scale just looked all wrong, until I realised that it shows a 'straightening' of the road.

In other words that little plaza area will need to be ripped up and the road will be brought much closer to the existing restaurants sides.

I think I may be avoiding this whole area for the next 18 months. I can only imagine how the excavation and road works for this nightmare will be handled.

Can anyone living in JBR tell me where the cars will go if they cannot drive along the frontside of the walk for the foreseeable future? or will it be a good thing to keep out non-residents (while all the shops go out of business?)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
You'd think they would do something different - more walkways with lots of trees for shade, a few more parks and creatively covered sidewalks with some sort of natural cooling system so you can have a wander in the summer months...anything but another mall.
The things you mentioned don't directly generate any money for the developers and state, but apartments and malls do.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The things you mentioned don't directly generate any money for the developers and state, but apartments and malls do.
Why did so many outlets in Dubai Mall close down during the first half of this year? Did the owner make the assumption that Dubai is booming again so retailers will be willing to pay sky-high rents again?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not the case in some malls that rent (or at least part of it) is a percentage of takings?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Why did so many outlets in Dubai Mall close down during the first half of this year? Did the owner make the assumption that Dubai is booming again so retailers will be willing to pay sky-high rents again?
Several months back I read here on BE and on some Dubai blog about tanker trucks with sewage lined up waiting to discharge their load . Apparently the Dubai authorities kept building apartments, houses and shops but didn't give much thought to infrastructure like waste management.

I thought back then that it was probably because certain projects can be seen to directly bring in money while other stuff doesn't.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Several months back I read here on BE and on some Dubai blog about tanker trucks with sewage lined up waiting to discharge their load . Apparently the Dubai authorities kept building apartments, houses and shops but didn't give much thought to infrastructure like waste management.

I thought back then that it was probably because certain projects can be seen to directly bring in money while other stuff doesn't.
Running trucks is probably cheaper than digging up roads, trying to avoid existing networks / utilities, laying cables (excuse the pun) / pipes etc and then re-doing the roads.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Running trucks is probably cheaper than digging up roads, trying to avoid existing networks / utilities, laying cables (excuse the pun) / pipes etc and then re-doing the roads.
The story on the trucks was that the receiving plant was innundated and not able to cope with the volume of trucks. I recal there being reports of some truck drivers illegally discharging their load in the open.

Wouldn't it make sense to do it properly , i.e. lay it all underground once and for all since they anticipate Dubai to grow ?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The story on the trucks was that the receiving plant was innundated and not able to cope with the volume of trucks. I recal there being reports of some truck drivers illegally discharging their load in the open.

Wouldn't it make sense to do it properly , i.e. lay it all underground once and for all since they anticipate Dubai to grow ?
Of course it would.

But that takes careful planning, consideration, thought and an understand of how a city grows.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

2008's news, though it may still be going on of course

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...nt-at-capacity