Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:04 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...or-dubais-jbr/

A mall. Slap bang on the beach. At JBR Walk.

Insanity on so many levels.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just what Dubai needs... another mall - in the most stupid place

I am really hoping it is one of the many projects that never happens.

Just ridiculous, despite the desperate shortage of shops and malls in Dubai and plethora of decent free beaches...

Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I am really hoping it is one of the many projects that never happens.

Just ridiculous, despite the desperate shortage of shops and malls in Dubai and plethora of decent free beaches...

have you been there? They have already started... You can't get down to the beach anymore.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:25 am
Banned

Little Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Will they have an Orange Julius?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
have you been there? They have already started... You can't get down to the beach anymore.
Go to JBR/The Walk? Are you kidding?

So much for all the lovely beach facilities the residents of JBR were promised...
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

At least it's not already really congested down JBR Walk at the moment.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:00 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I understand this totally. Marina Mall is too far away.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:37 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I've known about this for months now. It was all signed and sealed in January.

From what I've heard, one of the key things with this is that the retailers in this development will be made to pay a 'tax' to fund lifeguards on the beach and maintenance.

And at least access will remain free.

It might not be the beach park JBR residents were always planned (but let's be honest, was never going to be delivered), but it's a damn sight better than that car park.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That's alright, provided they do something about parking and road congestion. The hand of God in the first pic's a bit worrying, though.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:54 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's alright, provided they do something about parking and road congestion. The hand of God in the first pic's a bit worrying, though.
Apparently it will have three underground parking levels.

They're also straightening the road to make it easier for people to pass through. (i.e. removing the bend between BoHouse and the Sofitel)

I've also heard rumours that they are seriously considering making The Walk (at least that section) access only after 10pm every night. That's not been decided though.

It would certainly help. Part of the problem is that The Walk is a victim of its own success.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:10 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I've known about this for months now. It was all signed and sealed in January.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hg455j.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/behddv.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/flbj9y.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/14l2d1.jpg

From what I've heard, one of the key things with this is that the retailers in this development will be made to pay a 'tax' to fund lifeguards on the beach and maintenance.

And at least access will remain free.

It might not be the beach park JBR residents were always planned (but let's be honest, was never going to be delivered), but it's a damn sight better than that car park.

There are several ladies in picture 3 dressed very inappropriately............

Obviously they wont be going in the Mall?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:14 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by britexpat76
There are several ladies in picture 3 dressed very inappropriately............

Obviously they wont be going in the Mall?
Good point. Enforcing a dress code in a mall right on a beach will be interesting.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commander
I understand this totally. Marina Mall is too far away.
And very few customers the few times I have been there.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

So how many malls does Dubai have and does it seem like some are operating on a loss / barely any traffic?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Apparently it will have three underground parking levels.

They're also straightening the road to make it easier for people to pass through. (i.e. removing the bend between BoHouse and the Sofitel)

I've also heard rumours that they are seriously considering making The Walk (at least that section) access only after 10pm every night. That's not been decided though.

It would certainly help. Part of the problem is that The Walk is a victim of its own success.
Underground parking? At a beachfront mall built at sea level? Er...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.