Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Originally Posted by The_Citizen
I was out for a few drinks last night and I always worry about doing the drive to Abu Dhabi in the morning after a night out.
Then don't drink during the week then, it is possible to go and have a good time without imbibing hop, grape or grain, as they are euphemistacally referred to in these parts.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robajob
Then don't drink during the week then, it is possible to go and have a good time without imbibing hop, grape or grain, as they are euphemistacally referred to in these parts.
I don't deny that it is possible but sometimes a good old jar of ale is just what the doctor ordered!

Beer festival at Irish village this weekend as well
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Which parts are they as they sound weird.... The Springs?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

I don't deny that it is possible but sometimes a good old jar of ale is just what the doctor ordered!

Oh Yes, definitely worth a visit - any other BE peeps planning to head down there?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Which parts are they as they sound weird.... The Springs?
I was alluding to the inability of the media in Dubai to refer to Beer as Beer in case they offend local sensibilites. Is it a law or something?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh Yes, definitely worth a visit - any other BE peeps planning to head down there?
Yup. All over that, post brunch as well.

Then golf at 0830 on Saturday morning...uh oh.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yup. All over that, post brunch as well.

Then golf at 0830 on Saturday morning...uh oh.
Going to be a fun game of golf!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:15 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Going to be a fun game of golf!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly hit a motorbike delivery rider this afternoon in Knowledge village whilst getting Mrs Tock her ID card scan and it was by a fraction of an inch

Totally his fault for pulling out of a bus stop without looking but if I had a beer I don't think I would have reacted as quickly and so I would have been in the shit for waffa'ing a dip shit

Just not worth it

When it comes to extreme drink driving then you should have visited one of my previous locations out this way prior to the troubles as it used to be loaded with weekend visitors who couldn't walk or talk they were so loaded with liquor but who would all happily get behind the wheel later to go hunting skirt

so I will happily risk one of the residents here who has had a few too many sherberts or someone who is just not yet ready on a evolutionary level to handle a vehicle

Thursday afternoon does seem to bring out the worst of driving skills on SZR I must say.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:29 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a shit driver sober, would never try it pissed.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:30 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

DD is pretty bad here in Muscat, as cabs are expensive, men and women get sexually harrassed if they are on their own, and there's simply not that many cabs, and those that are don't know their way around the streets (which are to be fair rather organic in layout).
Most of the deaths though are from driving too fast whilst texting or turning a corner or just simply doing something other than driving whilst driving too fast.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:35 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
DD is pretty bad here in Muscat, as cabs are expensive, men and women get sexually harrassed if they are on their own, and there's simply not that many cabs, and those that are don't know their way around the streets (which are to be fair rather organic in layout).
Most of the deaths though are from driving too fast whilst texting or turning a corner or just simply doing something other than driving whilst driving too fast.
I now prefer to take my chances either walking or public transport been in far too many taxis with dodgy drivers, catching a cab doesn't necessarily mean its safe.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blazeaway will become famous soon enoughBlazeaway will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mikewot
I would like to share a personal experience with my friends about drinking and driving.

As you may know some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a “social session” out with friends. Well, two days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit.

That’s when I did something that I’ve never done before - I took a cab home. Sure enough on the way home there was a police road block, but since it was a cab they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident. This was a real surprise, as I had never driven a cab before. I don’t know where I got it, and now that it’s in my garage I don’t know what to do with it... any suggestions?
Class!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

You guys have it lucky over there. Even if we call a cab after drinking we'd still get jailed and deported.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
You guys have it lucky over there. Even if we call a cab after drinking we'd still get jailed and deported.
Yes, well, that's why you should drink at home. Same goes for Q8. The number of bods who drank and drive in Doha and Muscat, though ,was frightenening. If you can't get a taxi, there is always alternative ways, even if it costs, but getting caught costs even more....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.