Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:40 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Brit:- you're more likely to be killed in the road by a speeding local or sub conti than you are by a pissed Brit.

It got me thinking, I've never heard of a Brit killing anyone while driving drunk, (drunk in the UAE means having a glass of sherry - zero tolerance and all that).

So is it because the Brits don't drink and drive (personally I don't think that's right, people have a glass with their dinner at a friends house), or is it really because the Brits can drive after having said glass of sherry?

Is drinking and driving worse than how certain nationalities drive?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just overheard in a bar (Drink driving thread).

Originally Posted by Kix View Post

Is drinking and driving worse than how certain nationalities drive?
I reckon I'm still a better driver when tanked up compared to the idiots on UAE's roads. I'm not saying that I'm better than the majority of the drivers, but better than those who are most likely to cause an accident because of they way they normally drive.

I only drove once in UAE after having a few beers, and that was back from Coopers to downtown in AD. And was the only night I'd seen in the 3 years I was there that they were stopping cars en masse to breathalyse the drivers. 50:50 chance they didn't pull me over. They didn't. On the other hand I knew a couple of expats who regularly drove when tanked up. Stupid, in my view.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a throwback to the discussions form the 1950s and 1960s when the Saloon Bar Brigade objected to the violation of personal liberty implicit in drunk-driving bans !
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:28 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of drink drivers I know is crazy, far worse here in Doha than the UAE. What I cannot understand is this, Is it really that inconvenient to get a cab which costs peanuts?? (My incident was in the morning which is something else I never now do and where most people forget about the alcohol still inside them, or care to ignore)

Regarding pissed brits and smashes we had one here, A guy at the end of his career leaving west bay and crashed the rental. In the car was 2 ladies for entertainment purposes - one was killed and the other badly injured. Having paid the blood money, hospital bills and the totalled car his retirement fund was drained. Had that been anyone younger without the savings they would still be in jail here.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:47 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone would consider drinking even one drink and driving in the UAE is beyond me. I often take a taxi the next day.

On a related note, I highly recommend 'The Driver' service. Bloody brilliant.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:53 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Why anyone would consider drinking even one drink and driving in the UAE is beyond me. I often take a taxi the next day.

On a related note, I highly recommend 'The Driver' service. Bloody brilliant.
Yup - totally agree. Chances are, depending on how tanked you are, that you'll probably not hit anyone. Chances that someone will bump you... and then you are screwed.

I know some Brits that have been drunk drivers here and have twatted immovable objects and somehow got away with it (i.e. not been seen) but if you want to go down the nationality route of the worst offenders - by far - Lebanese. Seem to not give a moment's thought about it.

To be fair in Lebanon the petrol stations do sell alcohol and it is not an offense to be drunk and driving there.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:33 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
To be fair in Lebanon the petrol stations do sell alcohol and it is not an offense to be drunk and driving there.
Yeesh!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:45 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper View Post
Yeesh!
Ok... couple of points - my statement about the legality of drinking and driving in Lebanon might be wrong, I was told otherwise and googled now - perhaps that was incorrect.

In practice, by first hand observation (of my own) and anecdotal, is that is common place.

http://eleenakorban.wordpress.com/20...iving-illegal/

Secondly, I have witnessed on many, many, many occasions people that are proudly Lebanese drinking and driving from business meetings or clubs or whatever where I either didn't drink at all and drove or I called the Safer Driver service.

Beekeeper - would you agree or disagree with any of these statements (clearly not the ones where you were not there)?

PS - The petrol stations definitely do sell booze. The one by the corner of Gemayze and Martyrs Square for sure....

Last edited by Autonomy; Aug 28th 2013 at 8:47 pm. Reason: details...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

90% of road accidents are caused by sober drivers. Only 10% by drunk drivers !!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:40 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger View Post
90% of road accidents are caused by sober drivers. Only 10% by drunk drivers !!!!!
What point are you making?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:08 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

For the cost of a taxi here, drink driving is beyond me. Of all the Brits I know here, not one of them ever drinks and drives. South Africans and Aussies are the worst I know for it.

Why would you risk your whole life here for the sake of paying maximum 90dh for a taxi
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drink and drive..the last time I tried it I spilt my drink!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:06 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LETLEup79zI

He then went on to say something on the lines of 'and do you know how many people we killed last year as a direct result of drinking, driving ....... and juggling!?? - 7!'

Therefore the safest way of getting home is drinking, driving ....... and juggling.

Lee Mack - he's a funny bloke.

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Aug 29th 2013 at 4:25 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:42 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to sound like an echo....but I've never done it. Why risk losing what I've worked hard for here to save 50 dizzee rascals?

Lots of people in the office will have one or two beers and drive. Whatever, their problem....but as we've said, I'm not worried they'll crash but someone crashes into them and then it's game over anyway.

Pointless.

Couple of times I've driven in the morning and had a bit of a panic about it. Try and avoid it now by getting a cab to work where my car is patiently waiting for the journey home.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:00 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

At a bar I used to frequent on a regular basis (now temporarily closed), I would venture that 60% of the brit, aussie, and SA expats drunk and drove. 95% of the Emiratis drunk and drove!!

As many have said, I would not do it. Its just not worth it.

Many many years ago and longish term British expat was leaving back to blighty and during his leaving drinks someone asked what he would miss about Dubai ; Youve guessed it, "Drink Driving"!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.