Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:26 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
BRIC countries are the future dear.
Yes, j'agree mais I was talking here and now and the star spangled tellietubbies have taken over.
Much prefer the prospect of footballing,bolshevik maharajas playing mah jong
x
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

Originally Posted by Eva
Much prefer the prospect of footballing,bolshevik maharajas playing mah jong
I'm pretty sure that has a facebook fan club.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:36 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm pretty sure that has a facebook fan club.
.Yar,I'm sure but you'll have to verify as I don't go there.

Quelle huere est il la?
In upside down land.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:46 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
Morning Bored,

I was in a pub last night enjoying a well earned end of week beverage when I discovered that there are new dress code rules for this year. Jumeriah have now declared that men must not wear shorts and women must wear skirts below the knees with shoulders covered in all of their bars/restaurants during the holy month.

The upside, according to my wife is that she gets a free pashmina every time we go out as all of her nice dresses are low cut :-)

I understand they have a selection of colours to match whatever shade the ladies are wearing.

Seriously, I dont mind Ramadan as it is generally a time to get to know more about our muslim brothers and sisters and things get a bit calmer for a few weeks. Has anyone else seen any new (or more enforced) rules this year? Just curious.
To be honest I would never even dream of wearing shorts to any pub - if I were a pub owner I'd ban anyone from wearing them.

As for ladies dresses etc...well we are in the middle east aren't we? What more can we really expect here?

Am curious why you would call any Muslim your brother or sister (except in the sense we are all human)? According to their koran they are not even supposed to make friends with non-muslims...

N.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:10 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

Originally Posted by Eva
Quelle huere est il la?
In upside down land.
ɹǝɥɔnoɔ ǝs ǝp ǝɹnǝɥ,l

Ummm...Bonne nuit chérie.

It’s still pretentious and an inordinately ghastly language. Many years since I last had it beaten into me at school. Why do we never do German? Now there is a language with all the precision and beauty of a colt revolver...except for the der/die/das thing which is totally irrational and illogical.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: is it just me or are Ramadan rules getting tougher this year?

Good picture on the BBC website today*:

Caption: "As the holy Muslim month of Ramadan continues, a boy reads the Koran at Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo, Egypt."

*Well I though it was nice and it doesn't matter what you think.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:06 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
To be honest I would never even dream of wearing shorts to any pub - if I were a pub owner I'd ban anyone from wearing them.

As for ladies dresses etc...well we are in the middle east aren't we? What more can we really expect here?

Am curious why you would call any Muslim your brother or sister (except in the sense we are all human)? According to their koran they are not even supposed to make friends with non-muslims...

N.
Wa-hey!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Are they?

I was just in Ibn Battuta Mall and Starbucks if open for business, all be it, behinds blinds and you have to stoop low to get under the half open shutters.

Don't remember that b4???
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its getting slacker - there seem to be more coffee shops open than before and I've seen more people drinking and smoking in the open than I remember from recent years.

No doubt there will be a clampdown soon..