British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is it just me or...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/just-me-570840/)

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:07 am

Is it just me or......

Not having spent as much time on here as previously, I tend to catch up a bit 'en masse' and have noticed an interesting trend.....

Either new members are getting gobbier, or existing members are becoming less effusive to new members.

So, which is it???

Inselaffen Nov 3rd 2008 4:16 am

Re: Is it just me or......

its probably because I left!

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6934468)
its probably because I left!

And you were such a calming influence......:rofl::rofl:

MataHari Nov 3rd 2008 4:22 am

I don't think it's changed that much...
it's all to do with the way the post is worded...but generally when it looks as if the poster has not taken the trouble to do a basic forum search or a simple google it is annoying...
And recently there have been some people that seem to think that 'we' are here to answer all their questions pronto, and if we don't for some reason...they get arsy...which is never a good thing either on a forum or in the 'real' world...
Thing is, everybody thinks their situation is unique...

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:24 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934478)
it's all to do with the way the post is worded...but generally when it looks as if the poster has not taken the trouble to do a basic forum search or a simple google it is annoying...
And recently there have been some people that seem to think that 'we' are here to answer all their questions pronto, and if we don't for some reason...they get arsy...which is never a good thing either on a forum or in the 'real' world...

But surely if there situation is unique, we can't possibly be expected to help.....:rofl:

MataHari Nov 3rd 2008 4:25 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 6934483)
But surely if there situation is unique, we can't possibly be expected to help.....:rofl:

well there you go...problem solved

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:26 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934485)
well there you go...problem solved

Eureka...

Spugsy Nov 3rd 2008 4:33 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934478)

to be fair I never, or even STILL do a search, I just ask.

But then again, I am 'polite and lovely', so maybe that's the secret?

lionheart Nov 3rd 2008 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6934503)

No Spugsy, I think the correct term is "bone idle".

MataHari Nov 3rd 2008 4:36 am

just to add that not being British and therefore not having English as the mothertongue can add to the feeling someone being a bit off as well...
I know for a fact that I have had that problem when I first started posting on a mostely British forum...I am pleased to say that those days are well behind me now...you've all adepted quite well...

MataHari Nov 3rd 2008 4:37 am

yeah well...every forum needs their pet thicko...

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:38 am

I thought that was the brand name of your deodorant.....:rofl::rofl:

Meow Nov 3rd 2008 4:39 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934508)
just to add that not being British and therefore not having English as the mothertongue can add to the feeling someone being a bit off as well...
I know for a fact that I have had that problem when I first started posting on a mostely British forum...I am pleased to say that those days are well behind me now...you've all adepted quite well...

I don't think it matters where you are from if you behave in a 'British' manner. You know, negative, sarky, no patience and the odd moan. ;)

-

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2008 4:39 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934512)

Or should that read, 'thicko, pet'......

Hello.Kitty Nov 3rd 2008 4:42 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6934512)

I don't mind gobby and a bit of banter... it's when they start insulting you for having bothered to spend a few minutes answering their question that gets me. There are no end of polite ways to tell someone that the answer isn't as helpful as you hoped... preferably starting with "Thanks for looking into it, that's what I had already found out!..."

After all, it's a small world here and you never who you'll bump into on the street!