Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just got this e-mail...

Just got this e-mail...

Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just got this e-mail...

Anyone else got it?

URGENT: Modesty = Respect.

It is Friday noon at Jumeirah mosque. The prayer congregation has just ended and worshipers are leaving. Just past the mosque she slowly treads on her heals. A hot sea breeze tickles her cheeks and strokes her pampered legs. Much of her bosom is exposed to the sun and to all. As she embraces Dubai's aura, she fails to notice the many lowered gazes of men exiting the mosque.

Manoeuvring her way through the crowds in a department store, Suad and her teenage son finally reach the children's section. As Suad stops for a moment to adjust her traditional black scarf she stares in shock! There sat on a bench with her legs stretched apart was a woman in a dress that failed its function to hide her green undergarments! Suad grabs hold of her son's arm and leaves the store in frustration.

As honeymooners skip the mall, he pulls her close to his lips and kisses hers. Past them walks a large Emarati family whose members start muttering quietly in Arabic.

Not so long ago, there was a famous incident of the British woman who walked to the hotel through public roads almost nude, feeling too lazy to wear the top part of her swimsuit (1).

I am a voice of growing unrest amongst the majority of traditional families here. I argue the media to have the audacity to publish my article and to instigate a public debate about the wittingly or unwittingly "moral imperialism" Dubai is witnessing.

"Time out" magazine, in its previous issue, called for expatriates in Dubai to learn Arabic and to "get cultural". Perhaps it is time for those who seek to live and work in a Middle-Eastern country to savour some of the traditional flavours this society holds, through understanding and appreciation. In this light, I attempt to explain the rationale behind modest dressing in this region.

Firstly, both men and women are considered as equals. However, as men and women differ anatomically, modesty in dressing is achieved differently. What is considered as attractive in women may not be so in men. An uncovered attractive diamond lying on the street is more vulnerable than a covered and protected one. Aren't women more valuable than all the diamonds in the world?

In addition, this society lives in a "best-fit" equation, where individuals' freedoms are balanced with what is better for the community. The family is regarded here as the fabric of the society. Immodesty may, for instance, incite breaking homes from one side and increased crime rates from the other. Whether it is the woman or man to blame in such cases, the answer is simple. Modesty in dressing and behaving for both men and women promotes a healthier society. I know of one woman who developed "anorexia nervosa" as her husband wanted her to appear as slim as those women on Jumeirah beach.

Furthermore, women should be judged according to their intellect and self. When they advertise their bodies as public objects, immodestly dressed women are seen to degrade the self-respect women deserve. I heard a story of a woman who dressed in a short skirt on her driving test in a lame attempt to obtain a pass, instead of relying on her wit. Certain estate agents in Dubai attempt to sell flats through unprofessionally dressed ladies in short beach dresses. How could women so readily sell the sight of their meagrely covered bodies before men? Has anyone come across a man trying to sell a flat by being dressed in trunks?

Finally, as this society is a traditional reserved society, what may be the "norm" in Western countries may not be so here. What is acceptable to wear on Blackpool beach is frowned upon in public locations here. It still remains that 76% of the UAE are Muslims. They and numerous residents from other religions call for modesty.

On that note, I have to mention that stereotyping traditional women as being coerced into covering is a big misjudgement. Many Emarati women are highly educated, they have their independent income, and are free to pursue their careers, work, drive and travel. They choose to dress modestly because they value themselves are genuine individuals who prefer to be judged according to their intelligence and work performance. An Emarati woman is seen to be much aware of trends in the latest attractive designs, but dressing in revealing clothes is confined to the privacy of her home. Her beauty is not a public asset but is a cherished treasure shared with her husband.

It is true that Dubai is leaping forward towards modernisation and liberalism. However, the measurement of modernity is based on actual reshaping and improvement of the environment and society through the use of science and technology. Superficially dressed bodies in skimpy clothes contribute nothing to the advancement of nations. Liberal personal freedom stops where it harms. I would like to make a clear distinction here between freedom of faith and freedom of "dressing scantly". Dubai has embraced many faiths and respects people's freedom in practicing their religions. On the other hand, France has banned religious symbols from schools and certain public places. Those who are offended by a Christian wearing a cross or a Muslim wearing a scarf do not tolerate freedom of faith and expression. However, this is not to be confused with dressing in a revealing manner. It is a biological human nature to physiologically react to visual perceptions. Therefore, a skimpily dressed individual in public is physically provoking and offending others. Indeed, liberty is not achieved by "liberalising" our bodies from their garments. I have to stress that personal appearance in private residences and private beaches is a matter of choice, but the case does not remain so in public places.

I am not saying women should dress in shagginess, far from that. We can dress smartly and trendily, yet with professionalism and respect. Hot weather? Why not dress in modest garments made of cool fabrics such as linen and cotton? In fact, it is medically advised to cover your skin from direct sun rays in order to protect it from melanoma and sun damage. What is considered "acceptable"? The chest, bosom, back, thighs and knees should be covered along with the upper shoulder. This can be achieved by wearing a short sleeved polo top and a midi skirt, just to name one example. Please remember: modesty=respect.

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's official website states that "modest dress is recommended for public places". Shouldn't we at least respect our kind host's request?

By: Dr. Mira Ali

(1) http://ezinearticles.com/?Arabs-Are-...irah&id=697809
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:00 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got this e-mail...

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Anyone else got it?
someof that was in todays gulf news.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:23 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree it is disgraceful the way some women dress.
Cover up you Harlots..............

You know who you are................................
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Katrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the rough

and men in speedos is acceptable!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katrinab
and men in speedos is acceptable!
What's wrong with budgie smugglers?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Katrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the roughKatrinab is a jewel in the rough

The fact you just called them "budgie smugglers" backs up my point!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:36 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting points, negated somewhat by the fact that the examples given of western women's behaviour are blatantly made up.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:50 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help wondering if it isn't reinforcing that old feminist mantra that all men are potential rapists who can't control their urges, in its own way.

*stands back from lighted firework*
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:12 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Some interesting points, negated somewhat by the fact that the examples given of western women's behaviour are blatantly made up.
just go to the Mall of the Emirates on a Friday...you'll be amazed at how women are dressed to go out shopping...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:25 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
just go to the Mall of the Emirates on a Friday...you'll be amazed at how women are dressed to go out shopping...
yup seen them all, I almost dropped my pick'n'mix...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:26 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yup seen them all, I almost dropped my pick'n'mix...
to get a better angle you mean...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

what amazes me though are the underwear shops for the local women in the Mall! Its worse than an Ann Summers window display!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:19 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
what amazes me though are the underwear shops for the local women in the Mall! Its worse than an Ann Summers window display!
Hideous, aren't they?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hideous, aren't they?
Au contraire, some of the lingerie items are very appealing...or should that be, appalling!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Hideous, aren't they?
well,if I was a prostitute at least I would find it easy to buy underwear...instead of having to stock up on bras every time I go back to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.