Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just Enjoyed A Week Back In The Sandpit

Just Enjoyed A Week Back In The Sandpit

Old Oct 31st 2016, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just Enjoyed A Week Back In The Sandpit

really enjoyed seeing old mates and slurping cold beers and BBQ in the garden at night but the place has got very busy again and very very expensive

tried to visit Atlantis last Sunday but the queue to get in was horrendous never mind queues for a ride so we headed to the beach instead, over 100AED for a sunbed

we headed north to UAQ next day, 100AED entry and a whole waterpark to ourselves, as many beds as you like

miss the weather, the mates and the money but honestly realised didn't miss the place and the hassle around it much, it was like a military op trying to get to Carters for a pint. My other bucket appears to be still well filled
Old Nov 1st 2016, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Enjoyed A Week Back In The Sandpit

Haven't you missed us?
Old Nov 1st 2016, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Haven't you missed us?
of course, but I still keep an eye on here, a better barometer than Gulf News
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:44 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

ive found myself scrawling over the posts here more regularly in the last 6 months. Cant put my finger on why. Have been back 3 times over the last 2 years and i also noticed an increase in "busyness" around the bars and the expense. Do miss the place though. Lots of good friends!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

tarajeana is an unknown quantity at this point

We have that saying in other sand pits as well. Whichever bucket fills first.. get the **** out of there. Luckily both my buckets filled at the same time and I left without spilling too much of either on me. Haha
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
really enjoyed seeing old mates and slurping cold beers and BBQ in the garden at night but the place has got very busy again and very very expensive

tried to visit Atlantis last Sunday but the queue to get in was horrendous never mind queues for a ride so we headed to the beach instead, over 100AED for a sunbed

we headed north to UAQ next day, 100AED entry and a whole waterpark to ourselves, as many beds as you like

miss the weather, the mates and the money but honestly realised didn't miss the place and the hassle around it much, it was like a military op trying to get to Carters for a pint. My other bucket appears to be still well filled
Still can't get money out of clients !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of which. People getting nervous in Qatar. One of our big projects received the NTP back in March but the contract has still to be signed (government agency).... as you know, it means lot of work done so far but no money yet.

My particular project is safe, however. So far

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
yes, there are positives to working in civilisation, mates mostly work in airline industry and were telling me exactly the same thing. My main customers are Swedish and Canadian now - falling right into line with my ex bosses theory that the higher the taxes and the less the moustaches the easier a country is to deal with
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

yes, there are positives to working in civilisation, mates mostly work in airline industry and were telling me exactly the same thing. My main customers are Swedish and Canadian now - falling right into line with my ex bosses theory that the higher the taxes and the less the moustaches the easier a country is to deal with
There's plenty work about but you'll need to have deep pockets as clients are looking at you to basically finance their project then scalp you again at the end .
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 6:33 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

...My main customers are Swedish and Canadian now - falling right into line with my ex bosses theory that the higher the taxes and the less the moustaches the easier a country is to deal with
A semi-exception which proves the rule (he's either a Tobleronerier or a watchmaker, I'm not sure which):

Just Enjoyed A Week Back In The Sandpit-tache.jpg