British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Journey from hell (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/journey-hell-767512/)

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 9:48 am

Journey from hell

My taxi driver last night appeared to be getting me home on a wing and a prayer and managed to get me from Lamcy Plaza to Tecom in just 12 minutes-(normally it takes 20-25) and the road wasnt even clear just his weaving/flashing/driving like Nigel mansel technique. I did close my eyes for about 8 of those minutes and I could have ground diamonds I was clenched so tight.

I do seem to have had some corkers this ramadan, weaving across the lines like frogger, emergency stopping every 50 yards then flooring it, turning round to talk to me (sat in the back in brace position)as well as the driving like a bat out of hell and I don't remember it being this bad in previous years, or perhaps i have just deleted those journeys from my memory.

So are there any tips for getting the taxi drivers to take a bit more care as saying 'can you slow down' doesnt seem to be working.

Norm_uk Aug 7th 2012 9:52 am

Re: Journey from hell

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10214427)
My taxi driver last night appeared to be getting me home on a wing and a prayer and managed to get me from Lamcy Plaza to Tecom in just 12 minutes-(normally it takes 20-25) and the road wasnt even clear just his weaving/flashing/driving like Nigel mansel technique. I did close my eyes for about 8 of those minutes and I could have ground diamonds I was clenched so tight.

I do seem to have had some corkers this ramadan, weaving across the lines like frogger, emergency stopping every 50 yards then flooring it, turning round to talk to me (sat in the back in brace position)as well as the driving like a bat out of hell and I don't remember it being this bad in previous years, or perhaps i have just deleted those journeys from my memory.

So are there any tips for getting the taxi drivers to take a bit more care as saying 'can you slow down' doesnt seem to be working.

Take their badge number and say you are going to report them for driving dangerously.

Sometimes I hate civillisation - if we were savages we could beat smaller people into polite submission and good manners.

N.

weasel decentral Aug 7th 2012 9:52 am

Reach in and put your hands over his eyes as he drives, see how crazy he really is

shiva Aug 7th 2012 10:20 am

make a point of calling the cops with his badge number when your in the cab, i find they tend to drive superbly about three rings into that gambit

Meow Aug 7th 2012 10:22 am

You just aren't firm enough kittycat1. If he doesn't do as he is told the first time, tell him you will report him and if he still doesn't call the RTA there and then.

You don't ask; you tell them. This is your safety we're talking about and you are paying for the service.

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 10:27 am

>salutes meow< Yes ma'am!

Ok I must not be nice, firm and stroppy it is!

co durham boy Aug 7th 2012 10:28 am

Spray some deodrant at him , they fu**ing hate that stuff....

Meow Aug 7th 2012 10:34 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10214510)

:lol: I'm not stroppy, but I am the boss and refuse to be messed around by taxi drivers. I find that 90% are just fine, many are very nice, but the odd one needs to have things explained to him. I never shout or swear, but don't need to... ;)

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 10:36 am

oo meow- sorry i didnt mean that you were stroppy- you do firm well, I need to work on it- so stroppy and firm it is! lets see if I make it home tonight- inshallah!

goonerseba Aug 7th 2012 11:21 am

I fully realise this is bluesky wishful thinking, but..... can you do a deal with a "safe" driver to collect you every day ? I know workload dictates a finsih time but if you generally finish at the same time most days wouldn't a driver be happy of the regular fare ?

Failing that, just scream your tonsils off till he slows down....:eek:

Bahtatboy Aug 7th 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10214510)

Can I pop round?

LaLaLayla Aug 7th 2012 11:44 am

Kitty, it really is about time you got your own car.

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 11:46 am

lala- buying a car is too much of a commitment to this place- forever one foot out the door, buying a car means im staying which would possibly freak me out! and hiring is more expensive than taxis.

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 11:48 am

Bahtatboy- yeah of course- I mean NO- said firmly and stroppily :p

Bahtatboy Aug 7th 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10214643)
Bahtatboy- yeah of course- I mean NO- said firmly and stroppily :p

Dribble...