British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Journalism is dead a/k/a people are stupid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/journalism-dead-k-people-stupid-803226/)

The Dean Jul 18th 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Journalism is dead a/k/a people are stupid

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10805933)
Konger got the wrong end of the stick (and jumped in with 2 feet, without looking) - I think it is a totally fair and correct photo to use, that fits RS readership, the story and also editorial style.

Have people forgotten that Hunter S Thompson wrote for RS for years?

My point was more about the knee jerk reaction to the cover.

And yes other magazines have used the same image hundreds of times.

But nobody likes Hunter S Thompson.............

OleJanx Jul 18th 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10806839)

He didn't really seem to like himself much, either...

Autonomy Jul 18th 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10806839)

And your point was?

The Dean Jul 19th 2013 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10807058)
And your point was?

Nothing really - just to suggest that RS lost much of its credibility many years ago, despite the fact that many famous writers have contributed. I feel the same, in a different way, about the NME in the UK........... in its 1970s heyday (Charles Shaar Murray, Ian MacDonald, Roy Carr) it was unmissable.

hong_konger Jul 20th 2013 1:31 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10805874)
I think you are missing the point a little, I doubt anyone is trying to censor the article or what they have to say.
The picture has been deliberately chosen to frame him in a rock star , cool guy kind of light so people are objecting to what at first view looks like a glorifying picture of the bomber.
Surely you can imagine how some could be offended by that. And of course it's exactly the reaction the magazine was hoping for.

I dont think I have missed the point at all.
The whole point of publishing a nice photo of him forms part of the story of how he went from someone with a cool rock star image to a monster. He wasnt born a monster. It attempts to hit home how ordinary people, people who are your friends right now, can become influenced by these terrorist organsations and movements.
I agree with you that the magazine probably new what the reaction might be but that doesnt take anything away from the relevance and pertinance of the story.

hong_konger Jul 20th 2013 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10805933)
Konger got the wrong end of the stick (and jumped in with 2 feet, without looking)

I dont think so.