British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Journalism is dead a/k/a people are stupid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/journalism-dead-k-people-stupid-803226/)

Autonomy Jul 17th 2013 10:43 pm

Journalism is dead a/k/a people are stupid

or more stupid then ever before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23340329

Boston bomber front cover. People outraged.

Good. No?

Bob Jul 17th 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Journalism is dead a/k/a people are stupid

It's a saw issue locally, as can be expected, but other wise, it's just people being dumb as the magazine is more newsy than music these days.

hong_konger Jul 18th 2013 12:28 am

It always amazes me that one minute the Brits are fighting for free speech and non censorship but you object to what appears on the cover to be a perfectly reasonable and interesting article about how a promising student ended up becoming a terrorist. What the f***k is wrong with that ? Is it because they published a decent photo of him on the front cover ? Do you think it should have been one of those awful mug shots like that of Ian Brady the moors murderer, the same awful mug shot that has been used for the past 40 odd years !! Thats the whole f****k point. How can someone transform from that to being a terrorist !!!

Bob Jul 18th 2013 12:57 am

Originally Posted by hong_konger (Post 10805657)
It always amazes me that one minute the Brits are fighting for free speech and non censorship but you object to what appears on the cover to be a perfectly reasonable and interesting article about how a promising student ended up becoming a terrorist. What the f***k is wrong with that ? Is it because they published a decent photo of him on the front cover ? Do you think it should have been one of those awful mug shots like that of Ian Brady the moors murderer, the same awful mug shot that has been used for the past 40 odd years !! Thats the whole f****k point. How can someone transform from that to being a terrorist !!!

It's a US cover and issue...

hong_konger Jul 18th 2013 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10805688)
It's a US cover and issue...

Being USA's bitch we are simply following the bandwagon.

shiva Jul 18th 2013 3:15 am

Journalism has been dead for a while.

It's all about fear and hate mongering now. If you don't tick one of those boxes you must be a terrorist sympathiser or a conspiracy nut.
The west has dug itself into an Orwellian hole that I fear we shall now never escape.

The Dean Jul 18th 2013 3:58 am

If, say, Time or Newsweek used that photo on the cover, I assume there would be no complaints?

Dumbo Jul 18th 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10805817)
If, say, Time or Newsweek used that photo on the cover, I assume there would be no complaints?

Probably......maybe the difference is that Rolling Stone is perceived as a lifestyle magazine as opposed to a news magazine.

Millhouse Jul 18th 2013 4:26 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10805791)
Journalism has been dead for a while.

It's all about fear and hate mongering now. If you don't tick one of those boxes you must be a terrorist sympathiser or a conspiracy nut.
The west has dug itself into an Orwellian hole that I fear we shall now never escape.

you are surprisingly upbeat today Shiva, what happened?

weasel decentral Jul 18th 2013 5:36 am

Originally Posted by hong_konger (Post 10805657)

I think you are missing the point a little, I doubt anyone is trying to censor the article or what they have to say.
The picture has been deliberately chosen to frame him in a rock star , cool guy kind of light so people are objecting to what at first view looks like a glorifying picture of the bomber.
Surely you can imagine how some could be offended by that. And of course it's exactly the reaction the magazine was hoping for.

shiva Jul 18th 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10805834)
you are surprisingly upbeat today Shiva, what happened?

it's still early and i haven't had to deal with anyone yet

The Dean Jul 18th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10805828)
Probably......maybe the difference is that Rolling Stone is perceived as a lifestyle magazine as opposed to a news magazine.

Quite - I haven't read the article about the alleged Boston bomber, but I am given to understand it is a serious piece about how an 'ordinary' guy became a terrorist, with analysis and research about his family background, exposure to extreme elements, etc.......... Rolling Stone's circulation figures have fallen in recent years - perhaps readers just want sex and drugs and rock n' roll....... :unsure:

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10805896)
it's still early and i haven't had to deal with anyone yet

:rofl:

Kix Jul 18th 2013 6:26 am

Fair play to Rolling Stone though, they got what they wanted, loads of people talking about it, going to their website, even buying the mag.

I reckon it's great short-term marketing.

Autonomy Jul 18th 2013 6:45 am

Konger got the wrong end of the stick (and jumped in with 2 feet, without looking) - I think it is a totally fair and correct photo to use, that fits RS readership, the story and also editorial style.

Have people forgotten that Hunter S Thompson wrote for RS for years?

My point was more about the knee jerk reaction to the cover.

And yes other magazines have used the same image hundreds of times.