John Terry Trial

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Terry Trial

Originally Posted by captainflack
Few thoughts.

Firstly, much as I don't think racist abuse is acceptable, I don't see why it should be treated any differently to other abuse. You can prefix an expletive with 'fat' or 'hairy' or 'bald', and that's ok, but if you use 'black', somehow that is criminal?

Secondly, much as JT's personal life is rather public, and he does not exactly come out of it well, I would imagine that any abuse towards him relating to that is going to cause much more genuine upset and offence than a general racist comment to a black player might. Apparently the FA and the courts are fine with you hurling abuse of a deeply personal nature about someone's love life (no doubt with the intention to elicit a response), but if someone retorts to such provocation with a remark that mentions skin colour, suddenly it's a criminal case?

Finally, it seems AF didn't even hear the abuse at the time which does tend to diminish the effect somewhat.

Does it really need a 5 day court case to deal with this?

Ferdinand has openly admitted to abusing JT regarding his personal life, but nobody is suggesting any punishment for this?
Good points.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
You can prefix an expletive with 'fat' or 'hairy' or 'bald', and that's ok, but if you use 'black', somehow that is criminal?
It the prefix was 'white' would that make it a criminal offence. I suspect not, I'm afraid the UK has tangled itself in a web on this, admittedly with good intentions, and getting out of it isn't going to be easy.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
It the prefix was 'white' would that make it a criminal offence. I suspect not, I'm afraid the UK has tangled itself in a web on this, admittedly with good intentions, and getting out of it isn't going to be easy.
Quite.

Had the player JT 'abused' been a red-head and he has called him a ginger c*** would there still be a case? Or Irish? Is the use of the word black an adjective or a term of abuse?

I can't stand Terry, but I do think there are far more offensive and worrying cases of racial abuse for taxpayers' money to be spend on.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Is the use of the word black an adjective or a term of abuse?
That's the problem though isn't it, depending on whether what follows is deemed to be positive or negative then it can be either.

And as you say, if 'Scottish' had been the preface to the abuse would that have made it racially aggravated? I'm mean when I get called a 'Scottish c***' at least 50% of the statement is factually correct, and I've never perceived the use of 'Scottish' as making the use of 'c***' any more or less offensive. When then the law starts to get into the reams of predicting peoples perceptions waters become very muddy.

An example from here would be hearing an Indian colleague calling a Pakistani a 'Paki'. Whilst my UK perception of the term is that it is offensive, neither the Indian or the Pakistani here found it so. It was just an abbreviation.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
That's the problem though isn't it, depending on whether what follows is deemed to be positive or negative then it can be either.

And as you say, if 'Scottish' had been the preface to the abuse would that have made it racially aggravated? I'm mean when I get called a 'Scottish c***' at least 50% of the statement is factually correct, and I've never perceived the use of 'Scottish' as making the use of 'c***' any more or less offensive. When then the law starts to get into the reams of predicting peoples perceptions waters become very muddy.

An example from here would be hearing an Indian colleague calling a Pakistani a 'Paki'. Whilst my UK perception of the term is that it is offensive, neither the Indian or the Pakistani here found it so. It was just an abbreviation.
It was just an abbreviation.

Amen to that.............. never understood how/why 'Paki' became offensive, while, say, 'Aussie' didn't........ I suspect it's more to do with the people who use the term, rather than the term itself - and the skin colour of the person in question.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
It was just an abbreviation.

Amen to that.............. never understood how/why 'Paki' became offensive, while, say, 'Aussie' didn't........ I suspect it's more to do with the people who use the term, rather than the term itself - and the skin colour of the person in question.
Jeez don't have this discussion in The Barbie or various other fora! That one little word causes more BE World wars than any other.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

JayD12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have followed the whole trial so far, will be down Westminster tomorrow for when he leaves court with a not-guilty verdict. Won't go into it too much but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I was also there at Loftus road that day about 3 rows back from the alleged 'incident', though i obviously heard nothing.

Should never of gone to court. Evidence based on words which where not heard by anybody, no chance of a conviction. Bring on tomorrow.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

This (Terry accusation) is the most asinine reason for a trial.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:10 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
This (Terry accusation) is the most asinine reason for a trial.
And how much money has this PC charade cost the British taxpayer?

If I paid tax I would probably be pissed off about it...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayD12
Have followed the whole trial so far, will be down Westminster tomorrow for when he leaves court with a not-guilty verdict. Won't go into it too much but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I was also there at Loftus road that day about 3 rows back from the alleged 'incident', though i obviously heard nothing.

Should never of gone to court. Evidence based on words which where not heard by anybody, no chance of a conviction. Bring on tomorrow.
Why would you go to the court?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Why would you go to the court?
On way back from work, few of us will go show our support and have a few beers after.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Some very interesting observations and opinions coming out of this thread...good to see without it descending into anarchy.

For my own two pennths' worth...and with no intention of trivialising racism in sport or in general and in no way a supporter of JT but based on what I have read and the court proceedings so far....

1) I believe AF was herded into making a complaint by others for ulterior motives.
2) The evidence is in no way incriminating enough to justify it even reaching a court - the CPS should be reprimanded for wasting public money.
3) The allegation has and possibly will continue to affect JT's career.
4) THe verdict will be "not guilty" of the charge.

The verdict is due later this afternoon.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Point 3 is an extremely good one. Feel extremely sorry for him. Surely he could take action against the CPS for bringing up such charges.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:57 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Terry is a vile prick, however this whole charade is a complete waste of time.

I played football at a semi-pro level years and years ago and was constanly abused for my scottish ginger appearance.

As mentioned by other posters..I don't see any difference in '****ing ginger jock ****' to ' fiucking black bastard' or '****ing paki ****'

They are all extremely offensive, yet only 2 of the above would merit any reaction from the police or PC brigade...that is the mess this country finds itself in.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Terry is a vile prick, however this whole charade is a complete waste of time.

I played football at a semi-pro level years and years ago and was constanly abused for my scottish ginger appearance.

As mentioned by other posters..I don't see any difference in '****ing ginger jock ****' to ' fiucking black bastard' or '****ing paki ****'

They are all extremely offensive, yet only 2 of the above would merit any reaction from the police or PC brigade...that is the mess this country finds itself in.
You could have changed your hair colour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.