Jeep Wrangler

Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jeep Wrangler

I am seriously considering buying one, second hand, and get the offroad thingy going! I am not a hardcore offroader, but am planning to drive out in the desert in the weekends etc, and take the adventurous routes to work for example (as I work in the middle of the desert there are many cool routes to take ).

My budget is 50k max so the other options would be a Pajero, Fortuner, or.. have you guys got any recommendations?

The only downside of the Wrangler (for me) is the noise, I took both the soft and hardtops out for a testdrive and it is very noisy! Now I don't know yet if in time this will drive me mental or I'll get used to it. (Anyone know where I can rent a Wrangler (preferably manual) for a month or so? I tried calling around various car rentals already, no luck)

Last edited by Euc-; Nov 24th 2009 at 9:54 am.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jeep Wrangler

When I bought a car it came down to either the Wrangler or the Pajero.

The Wrangler is a cool car, but it is remarkably uncomfortable to drive and ride in, compared to the Pajero. I have the big five-door one and it can be sluggish at times, but the 3-door is a fine drive and will get you anywhere the Wrangler goes and in more comfort.

Originally Posted by Euc-
I am seriously considering buying one, second hand, and get the offroad thingy going! I am not a hardcore offroader, but am planning to drive out in the desert in the weekends etc, and take the adventurous routes to work for example (as I work in the middle of the desert there are many cool routes to take ).

My budget is 50k max so the other options would be a Pajero, Fortuner, or.. have you guys got any recommendations?

The only downside of the Wrangler (for me) is the noise, I took both the soft and hardtops out for a testdrive and it is very noisy! Now I don't know yet if in time this will drive me mental or I'll get used to it. (Anyone know where I can rent a Wrangler (preferably manual) for a month or so? I tried calling around various car rentals already, no luck)
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Buzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond reputeBuzz Lightyear has a reputation beyond repute

Give the guys down at Icon Autos a call on 04 3382744 or check out there web site for more information at www.icon-auto.com. there big into Jeeps and 4x4
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
When I bought a car it came down to either the Wrangler or the Pajero.

The Wrangler is a cool car, but it is remarkably uncomfortable to drive and ride in, compared to the Pajero. I have the big five-door one and it can be sluggish at times, but the 3-door is a fine drive and will get you anywhere the Wrangler goes and in more comfort.
We have a Wrangler, it bounces all over the place, the AC is utter shite, but ti does look quite good.

Oh and it was brand new and must have dropped a stack of cash as to what its worth now.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 3 door, 3Litre Pajero and a 4Litre Fortuner.

The 4L Fortuner is an absolute rocket, has great ground clearance and I'm told is good for off roading (although I personally think it is too heavy). It's nice on the motor ways (quite, comfortable and the A/C works). I had quite a nasty accident in it and it was nice and solid when put to the test. - I can imagine the 2.7litre one is awful.

The 3 door Pajero looks nice, is as slow as slow can be, but is generally more 'plush' inside (i.e. fat steering wheel, climate control and marginally higher seating position etc). However, it just isn't a toyota for build quality. I test drove a 3.8l 3 door, it was marginally better than the 3l, but still slow off the mark.

I got a 2006 Pajero for 45k, 3 months ago - they may be less now. The Pajero has good ground clearance, is light and is apparently the boy for off roading. I will be testing next month...

My friend has a wranger. The AC is rubbish and the general build quality awful but he has lots of fun offroad. Even if the gearbox did break on his first outting and it had to be towed back to the garage at the tender age of only 2 months old...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't actually driven the Pajero yet, was planning to try one on Friday (If I can find a dealer in this town). Was indeed looking for the SWB version.

During the testdrives I didn't think the wrangler was that uncomfortable, but that was only for a very short while anyway. I admit, for day to day use a wrangler perhaps isn't the most ideal car to own.

A friend drives the 2009 2.7L Fortuner, but I feel even as a passenger that it isn't that keen on overtaking on the highway and is fairly slow with acceleration, planning on testing the 4L soon as well, although it will probably be to expensive.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a couple of wranglers in my time and used to do the desert thing a lot.
I found the wrangler was the sort of thing you could go nuts with in the desert without fear of breaking something or bending something.

If I owned a pajero or prado or whatever, i'd be too scared of damaging it.

Agreed the wrangler is pretty sh.ite around town (manual), and on the highway (either).

If you wanna enjoy your off-roading - get a wrangler.
If you wanna ride around like the queen - don't.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:32 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I've had a couple of wranglers in my time and used to do the desert thing a lot.
I found the wrangler was the sort of thing you could go nuts with in the desert without fear of breaking something or bending something.

If I owned a pajero or prado or whatever, i'd be too scared of damaging it.

Agreed the wrangler is pretty sh.ite around town (manual), and on the highway (either).

If you wanna enjoy your off-roading - get a wrangler.
If you wanna ride around like the queen - don't.
wranglers are also good for towing broken pajeros out of the desert

that said the pajero is pretty good offroad but you have to thrash it to get anywhere, as your man says if road handling and comfort isnt an issue then wrangler is the way forwards
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't the Pajero win a bunch of off-roading contests in Qatar?

Originally Posted by shiva
wranglers are also good for towing broken pajeros out of the desert

that said the pajero is pretty good offroad but you have to thrash it to get anywhere, as your man says if road handling and comfort isnt an issue then wrangler is the way forwards
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:22 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Didn't the Pajero win a bunch of off-roading contests in Qatar?
I had a wrangler in Saudi and took it offroad. It was fantastic.

On road, a little noisy, cramped for everyday use, but still nice to drive
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

i've a 2 1/2 yr old Commander...bloody great car...you can get some good 2nd hand deals as they depreciate reasonably heavily. avoid the 3.7 l
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Pajero
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Pajero
Come on blue cat, I keep telling you that Pajero's are rubbish. I was out in my gutless wonder this afternoon.

The only thing that is good about it is the brakes - and that's mostly because it's impossible to go fast.

Even the mirrors are usless!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:30 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Come on blue cat, I keep telling you that Pajero's are rubbish. I was out in my gutless wonder this afternoon.

The only thing that is good about it is the brakes - and that's mostly because it's impossible to go fast.

Even the mirrors are usless!
change your air intake and keep the revs at 4500rpm, as i said you have to thrash em but if you do they are fine, not amazing but they do ok
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
change your air intake and keep the revs at 4500rpm, as i said you have to thrash em but if you do they are fine, not amazing but they do ok
Interesting, how much does a new air intake help? what do I change it to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.