British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Jeep Cherokee - design fault? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/jeep-cherokee-design-fault-651737/)

Victor Meldrew Jan 28th 2010 3:53 pm

Jeep Cherokee - design fault?

We have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. We have had it for 2 years now.

2 of the electric window motors have gone already, and a 3rd has just gone today. The wondow basically stops working and just drops down/can't be kept up. We have 2 other people at work with the same car, 1 has replaced 2windows in 2 years, the other 1 windows in 1 year.

Is this coincidence or is it a common problem?

If I were a cynical grumpy old man (which I am not of course :frown:) I would say it was deliberate to generate guaranteed income for parts and labour.

Anybody else experienced this phenomenon? :confused::thumbdown:

Roadking Jan 28th 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Jeep Cherokee - design fault?

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8290791)

2 of the electric window motors have gone already, and a 3rd has just gone today. The wondow basically stops working and just drops down/can't be kept up. We have 2 other people at work with the same car, 1 has replaced 2windows in 2 years, the other 1 windows in 1 year.

If I were a cynical grumpy old man (which I am not of course :frown:) I would say it was deliberate to generate guaranteed income for parts and labour.

I think you would find the cost of engineering a fault that occurs after warranty expires more than the revenue generated by the parts sales. Sounds like a bit of an issue but speak to the dealer and find out if there is a Quality Action or Quality Recall.

Just be grateful you are not driving a Toyota as they have had to stop selling many models across the world because of intermittent accelaration issues. So far, over 750'000 vehicles recalled!:(

Bob Jan 29th 2010 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8290980)
I think you would find the cost of engineering a fault that occurs after warranty expires more than the revenue generated by the parts sales. Sounds like a bit of an issue but speak to the dealer and find out if there is a Quality Action or Quality Recall.

Just has to be designed for reasonable use, Black and Decker do it to all their home appliances, things like drills are meant to work for the average person for 3 years...why you never see professionals use them but the Dewalt pro version...design obsolescence.

Bluelionesse Jan 29th 2010 2:13 am

Hi
you might be able to get the opinionts of more people if you go on to an offroad club site - here is one for starters. (I'm off out with them today so if I remember I can ask)

http://www.uaeoffroaders.com

lionheart Jan 29th 2010 7:03 am

Yep I have had two windows go in three years. They told me someone had tried to break-in using a rod or something. I actually believed them.

Meow Jan 30th 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8290980)

Just be grateful you are not driving a Toyota as they have had to stop selling many models across the world because of intermittent accelaration issues. So far, over 750'000 vehicles recalled!:(

But apprently no vehicle sold in the UAE are affected. Can that be right? :confused: (from someone with 2 Toyotas)

-

benzonar Jan 30th 2010 10:05 am

Of course the cars sold here will be affected.

Just for the record Toyota have recalled over 6 million cars in the US over the last 4 months,

It has announced a possible recall of 1.8 million across Europe

Roadking Jan 30th 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8295552)
But apprently no vehicle sold in the UAE are affected. Can that be right? :confused: (from someone with 2 Toyotas)

-

I'd get them checked Meow, it's a safety-critical fault that causes the car to accelarate without cause. There have been a number of severe accidents as a result.

busybee2 Jan 30th 2010 2:47 pm

-

perhaps as the cars come from japan here, whereby the others are made in europe or the us. different parts:?

spart Jan 30th 2010 5:14 pm

But apprently no vehicle sold in the UAE are affected. Can that be right? :confused: (from someone with 2 Toyotas)-

Of course they are. Its just Al Futtaim are too blindingly incompetent to do anything about it. Check yourself.

* Certain 2009-2010 RAV4,
* Certain 2009-2010 Corolla,
* 2009-2010 Matrix,
* 2005-2010 Avalon,
* Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
* Certain 2010 Highlander,
* 2007-2010 Tundra,
* 2008-2010 Sequoia

Havn't seen many Corollas here though.

johnh009 Jan 30th 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8290791)

Generally speaking, as a resident of Canada where many of these vehicles are actually built, Chrysler products do not have a reputation for reliability. There is a reason why the company is in the state it is in and that Japanese cars in North America are becoming more popular. The Toyota incident is not the norm.

Roadking Jan 30th 2010 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8296350)
Of course they are. Its just Al Futtaim are too blindingly incompetent to do anything about it. Check yourself.

* Certain 2009-2010 RAV4,
* Certain 2009-2010 Corolla,
* 2009-2010 Matrix,
* 2005-2010 Avalon,
* Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
* Certain 2010 Highlander,
* 2007-2010 Tundra,
* 2008-2010 Sequoia

Havn't seen many Corollas here though.

Hear what you are saying but the importer/dealer does not make the decision on a recall, that's totally down to the maufacturer. Al Futtaim can execute the recall only once they have been advised, by VIN, of the cars concerned.

For Toyota, it's a major fewk up!

shakh your bootie Jan 31st 2010 10:54 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8292649)
Yep I have had two windows go in three years. They told me someone had tried to break-in using a rod or something. I actually believed them.

To re-address the original question, I also had electric window failure in a Cherokee of similar vintage.

Since it was a rear window, I simply removed the trim, pushed the window to its raised position and secured it there with a self-tapping screw..... Perhaps not a handy tip if you are keen on having working windows, but there you are.

As for you toyota owners, an elastic band or bungee cord securing your foot to the pedal should alleviate your worries. If the pedal sticks, jerk your accelerating foot violently towards you. This shall unstick the accelerator, thus allowing you to regain control of your vehicle and come to a safe stop. (Alternatively, putting the car into neutral would have a similarly desirable effect).

spart Jan 31st 2010 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8296467)
Hear what you are saying but the importer/dealer does not make the decision on a recall, that's totally down to the maufacturer. Al Futtaim can execute the recall only once they have been advised, by VIN, of the cars concerned.

For Toyota, it's a major fewk up!

Agree with what you are saying, but curious - when Tojo's are being recalled in almost every other market, that Al Futtaim are not. Suspect it has a lot more to do with incompetence and not reading their emails, than Toyota forgetting to notify one of their big agents in the middle east.

shakh your bootie Jan 31st 2010 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8298455)
Agree with what you are saying, but curious - when Tojo's are being recalled in almost every other market, that Al Futtaim are not. Suspect it has a lot more to do with incompetence and not reading their emails, than Toyota forgetting to notify one of their big agents in the middle east.

Western chappie from Al Futtaim was interviewed in the National:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....100124891/1040

Toyota's Mid-East & SW Asia Sales bod confirmed that he himself does not know yet if they are affected....

That said, given the number of toyotas on the road and the fact that this problem is present even in some 2007 models, it is hardly going to be the case that the SZR road will suddenly be plagued by uncontrollably speeding vehicles....

Well. No more so than usual anyway....