Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Jazan, KSA - opinions please

Jazan, KSA - opinions please

Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Jazan, KSA - opinions please

I've been contacted regularly about a certain position in Jazan, KSA over the past year. I've passed, but have now got some figures at hand which make sense after having seem photos of what is on offer. I have no experience of KSA, so curious if anyone could change my mind that Jazan does not look like hell on earth. I'd be mortgage free in the UK (where I currently reside after having moved back from ME about a decade or so ago) within a couple of years which has made the devil's proposition attractive.

Personal thoughts include incursions or shelling from Yemen; nowhere near civilization; living in a workers camp away from family, etc. Should I even humour this?
Old Jul 7th 2021, 5:47 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jazan, KSA - opinions please

Jazan is a tough assignment, for sure.
Camp life, harsh environment, remoteness, travel restrictions and ongoing security risk are not for everyone.
That said, if the numbers work and you can commit to completing a tax year, then why not?
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Another big PIF development in its early stages down there so there may be some outlets for expats. https://soudah.sa/?lang=en

Farasan Islands are supposed to be a nice wee trip https://www.visitsaudi.com/en/see-do...arasan-islands
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I've been contacted regularly about a certain position in Jazan, KSA over the past year. I've passed, but have now got some figures at hand which make sense after having seem photos of what is on offer. I have no experience of KSA, so curious if anyone could change my mind that Jazan does not look like hell on earth. I'd be mortgage free in the UK (where I currently reside after having moved back from ME about a decade or so ago) within a couple of years which has made the devil's proposition attractive.

Personal thoughts include incursions or shelling from Yemen; nowhere near civilization; living in a workers camp away from family, etc. Should I even humour this?
Less shelling these days, you are more likely to die of inhalation of petrol vapours. It is indeed a shithole of repute, depends on how much you need to be paid to endure it mostly.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 9:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about your work location or living conditions, but if you go away from Jizan city into the mountain areas it's beautiful. Not too far a drive. On the plus side local cuisine is good, and people are friendly if a bit crazy from the Khat, although it's expensive for that now.

I wouldn't say Jizan city was all that though. More like functional as a city, and not visually appealing. The best it has to offer is away from the city into the mountains.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

I've Personal thoughts include incursions or shelling from Yemen; nowhere near civilization; living in a workers camp away from family, etc. Should I even humour this?
Mental well being is going to be a far greater challenge than dodging the houthy. Isolation is going to be a difficult thing to conquer. You will need to make a serious investment in social media. Their are regular flights to Riyadh which again you will need to avail your self of regularly. Hiking and boating are all great things to do but are better shared with like minded people.
Benediximus.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the insightful responses. I grew up in an isolated city in a country in civil war, so not too bothered about the potential for incursions as long as I survive. Interestingly, the hardship bonus wasn't incredible, though in light of the base salary it isn't of concern. And over the past year and a bit, Google reminds me of my travels, which normally include homebase and the supermarket with an occasional out of town trip a few miles down the road.

So what is camp life like? Any experiences to share? I noted they offered "professional accomodation" or something of that order, in contrast to the workers camps I saw in Qatar for the labourers. I've maintained my longest friendship mostly virtually since we were 16, now turned 40. So that I can do.

I'll have a look at travel options. I guess the new airport is not operational yet, tho I wouldn't expect it to have particularly exotic destinations available.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

So what is camp life like? Any experiences to share? I noted they offered "professional accomodation" or something of that order, in contrast to the workers camps I saw in Qatar for the labourers. I've maintained my longest friendship mostly virtually since we were 16, now turned 40. So that I can do.
You'll need to provide more flesh on the bones. Is it an international company you'll be working for? What kind of project is it? Construction? Oilfield? Seismic? If there's other Westerners working there then chances are the accommodation will be of an acceptable standard. If the project is in the middle of nowhere, then I would ask the company if there's any possibility of working on a rotational basis, say 1 month on/1 month off, with flights included to your home country during your time off - but of course covid restrictions might make a short leave cycle very difficult, if not impossible. Also working on a cycle such as 28/28 typically means you have to work 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day, so its not everyone's cup of tea.

FWIW i've lived and worked in remote locations in KSA and Iraq and never had any issues, this was working for multinationals such as Schlumberger, Shell and BP.

Last edited by psychopomp1; Jul 9th 2021 at 6:47 am.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
You'll need to provide more flesh on the bones. Is it an international company you'll be working for? What kind of project is it? Construction? Oilfield? Seismic?
The company is a large American engineering firm and the project will for my part be on the urban planning front. Odd to actually be based on site. The project team is about 40% westerners. So basically early planning stages for one of the new cities they are building. About 80-100km from the nearest town/city. So middle of nowhere. Apparently, BBQs are a popular weekend feature with the Europeans. I've requested info on the compound. A gym and a pool is available. No clue how many actually live on this camp.

I'll certainly investigate options for time away and work cycles, but the nature of the work I do doesn't lend itself to 7 day weeks and longer hours.