Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Jailed for debt - what happens

Jailed for debt - what happens

Old Jun 26th 2019, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jailed for debt - what happens

Mildly curious. Got wind that someone I'd met once or twice, an acquaintance of acquaintances, was recently jailed for debt in the UAE. Australian. At the time there were speculations he had financial problems and couldn't leave the country. But it did make me wonder if you have large debts you couldn't pay, and get hauled into prison, then what does actually happen? Do you stay in jail forever if no one pays it off?

I've always known stories of people jailed for debt but they never talk about the long term outcome. Is it really in prison till the money is forthcoming?
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:14 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jailed for debt - what happens

Mate of mine got jailed straight off a flight for bouncing a cheque. He was in there for 2-3 days until we paid the money. This was about 4 years ago but the cops did say no release 7ntil funds paid in cash.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:45 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My old Managing Director (British guy) was jailed in Dubai for bouncing a company cheque when the business was having cashflow problems. He was in for about a month until the debt was paid. That was 15 years ago though, not sure if the law has changed.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

JoelGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to your query, the answer is no, the jail sentence is as per the court judgement. The jail sentence is dependent on the case. There are two types of cases that can be filed, a Civil case or a cheque written Criminal case.
If it is a Civil case then it is filed for the recovery of the money, if the defendant is unable to pay then they will be imprisoned, the length of the sentence is decided by the court. However, if it was a cheque written Criminal case, then they will have to pay a fine or they will be imprisoned. Either way, the court decides how long the jail time will be.
As you can see. The punishment depends entirely on the case filed against them. Once the judgement is passed, the person is informed of how long their sentence will be.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 14th 2019 at 4:36 pm. Reason: Website removed as per our site rules