Jabs for India

Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jabs for India

Right, I am going all in for this trip to India! I'm actually going to bother having some jabs seeing as we will be roughing it for about 3 weeks.

So with that in mind, does anyone know where is best to get some active nastiness stabbed into me? And by best, I mean cheapest, as I am assuming non of these will be covered on my crappy Alico insurance.

The nice folk at Lonely planet say I need the following....

Adult diphtheria and tetanus Single booster recommended if none in the previous 10 years. Side effects include sore arm and fever.
Hepatitis A Provides almost 100% protection for up to a year; a booster after 12 months provides at least another 20 years’ protection. Mild side effects such as headache and sore arm occur in 5% to 10% of people.
Hepatitis B Now considered routine for most travellers. Given as three shots over six months. A rapid schedule is also available, as is a combined vaccination with Hepatitis A. Side effects are mild and uncommon, usually headache and sore arm. In 95% of people lifetime protection results.
Polio In 2007 polio was still present in India. Only one booster is required as an adult for lifetime protection. Inactivated polio vaccine is safe during pregnancy.
Typhoid Recommended for all travellers to India, even if you only visit urban areas. The vaccine offers around 70% protection, lasts for two to three years and comes as a single shot. Tablets are also available, however, the injection is usually recommended as it has fewer side effects. Sore arm and fever may occur.
Varicella If you haven’t had chickenpox discuss this vaccination with your doctor.

The following immunisations are recommended for long-term travellers (more than one month) or those at special risk:

Japanese B Encephalitis Three injections in all. Booster recommended after two years. Sore arm and headache are the most common side effects. Rarely, an allergic reaction comprising hives and swelling can occur up to 10 days after any of the three doses.
Meningitis Single injection. There are two types of vaccination: the quadravalent vaccine gives two to three years’ protection; meningitis group C vaccine gives around 10 years’ protection. Recommended for long-term backpackers aged under 25.
Rabies Three injections in all. A booster after one year will then provide 10 years’ protection. Side effects are rare – occasionally headache and sore arm.
Tuberculosis (TB) A complex issue. Adult long-term travellers are usually recommended to have a TB skin test before and after travel, rather than vaccination. Only one vaccine given in a lifetime.

I'm thinking I won't bother having the last four, as there's no point going crazy. Also I have had the Rabies one 3 times now and that hurts like a complete bitch!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jabs for India

Mankhool clinic(Govt) in burdubai, youcango after your VFStrip sorry spacebar is actingthegoat
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Netdoscor says:

Typhoid *Vaccination sometimes recommended 2 weeks before travel
Hepatitis A *Vaccination sometimes recommended 2 weeks before travel
Tuberculosis *Vaccination sometimes recommended 3 months before travel
Hepatitis B *Vaccination sometimes recommended 2 months before travel
Rabies *Vaccination sometimes recommended 1 month before travel
Meningococcal meningitis Not required
Cholera *Vaccination sometimes recommended 2 weeks from travel
Yellow fever Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an area with risk of yellow fever transmission 10 days before travel
Japanese B encephalitis *Vaccination sometimes recommended 1 month before travel
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

India has been polio free for two years, and is due to be announced "eradicated" by the WHO (pending no more cases), so you can skip that one. Avoid fecally contaminated foods...

I would be thinking food/water borne bugs are your greatest risk, so get Hep A and typhoid. I know someone who got typhoid in India. There is a lot of TB in India, but the vaccine is designed to reduce the severity of the disease, not actually prevent it.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Mankhool should have them all. there is a global shortage of one of them (maybe typhoid?)
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Typhoid is currently not available in the UAE (or at least, it wasn't when I tried to get it a couple of weeks ago).
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=lostinthedust;10975796]India has been polio free for two years, and is due to be announced "eradicated" by the WHO (pending no more cases), so you can skip that one.

Good stuff, thats off the list!

Originally Posted by lostinthedust
Avoid fecally contaminated foods...
I'll certainly try!

Originally Posted by lostinthedust
I would be thinking food/water borne bugs are your greatest risk, so get Hep A and typhoid. I know someone who got typhoid in India. There is a lot of TB in India, but the vaccine is designed to reduce the severity of the disease, not actually prevent it.
So how do you deal with TB? Ignore it and hope for the best?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Mankhool should have them all. there is a global shortage of one of them (maybe typhoid?)
Originally Posted by csdf
Typhoid is currently not available in the UAE (or at least, it wasn't when I tried to get it a couple of weeks ago).
Hmmmm, may try and get that over there then...... or I could just plan to do it and just forget like most other times..... although you did say you knew someone who got it.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Rabies jabs tend to be a course of four jabs. They are quite literally a pain in the arse - I speak from unhappy memories!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Rabies jabs tend to be a course of four jabs. They are quite literally a pain in the arse - I speak from unhappy memories!
It not a series when they think you may have been bitten by a rabid dug! Single jab and mega painful! Shockingly that was in Ireland about 20 years ago.

It would have just been a booster I had last time. That wasn't pleasant either! Thankfully I was in the Middle of Bangkok and she asked before hand which was my drinking arm.

Saying that, apparently rabies is one of the most painful ways to die, so maybe it's worth it.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
It not a series when they think you may have been bitten by a rabid dug! Single jab and mega painful! Shockingly that was in Ireland about 20 years ago.

It would have just been a booster I had last time. That wasn't pleasant either! Thankfully I was in the Middle of Bangkok and she asked before hand which was my drinking arm.

Saying that, apparently rabies is one of the most painful ways to die, so maybe it's worth it.
Another name for rabies is hydrophobia - a fear of water. Always seemed a less than pleasant way to Kark it, though.
And I got the four shots in the bum after being bitten by a dog of dubious provenence ( canine..) in Russia. Ouch! Always round!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

So how do you deal with TB? Ignore it and hope for the best?[/QUOTE]

TB is actually not easy to catch. It's a problem for people living in overcrowded conditions. Visitors would be very unlucky to catch it.

If you can get the typhoid jab on arrival it's probably not a bad idea. It's a live vaccine so you'll start producing antibodies straight away.

Rabies? Going off the beaten track it's probably better to be safe, especially as you are relying on very quick treatment if bitten. India still has a huge rabies problem.

We went to India last year (Chennai only) and we didn't get any boosters. My baby drank his bath water and he was fine. Off the beaten track, you should stick to alcohol - no ice- only, doctors orders!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been to India a few times.

Never got sick. Could have been lucky.

But take precautions. Avoid raw food. Avoid cooked food that's been sitting around for a while. Avoid ice. Only drink bottled water that have been sealed. I always carried a bottle of hand sanitizer and was repeatedly cleaning my hands throughout the day.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:53 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I would just get the standard hepatitis jabs, got mine at MediClinic in The Ranches. Just be careful what you eat/drink. I've been three times and had no issues apart from not being able to find anywhere serving decent spirits or wine...take in your full quota.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been before also and had nowt, in fact I have done Indo, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, India, Cambodia and even Glasgow without any jabs!

This time tho we will be driving a tuk tuk 3500km from the northern border to the southern tip, camping on the roadside and eating street food so I'm thinking it may be a good idea.

Thanks for all the tips tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.