British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I've actually stopped watching TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ive-actually-stopped-watching-tv-641169/)

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Nov 18th 2009 8:30 pm

I've actually stopped watching TV

Has anyone else also done this?

I told my boss at work that the channels in my apartment were crud, so I stopped watching. He offered me his slingbox.., I thought about it for two seconds and declined. Rationale is, it cant be bad to leave TV alone for s bit.

Does mean I go to cafes an awful lot more though. Still better out than in.

Nic1 Nov 19th 2009 3:26 am

Re: I've actually stopped watching TV

We've not had any TV since July when we came here - mainly because I've not bothered to get satellite sorted. Can't say we miss it really - kids are on MSN half their lives anyway and I can't say there's any programme I really miss and can't live without, most of what we watched before was crap. Read a lot more, talk to the kids more as well I think - well I talk and they grunt . . . . and we watch movies now and then.

I do miss a good news channel though. The Cyprus Mail is not the most informative paper in the world, and The Sun seems to be the British ex-pats British newspaper of choice . . . .

N

Cow Pie Nov 19th 2009 3:33 am

Sat eating breakfast this morning with the TV on in the background. News is good to wake up to I guess. Only thing I really value on the package we have (family) is sport and Discovery - you can keep your shoddy American sitcoms - 99% really are dross. Kids channels good for the kids every now and then. Had gone 8 months prior without TV and didn't miss it at all really - sports on the TV at home keeps me away from the pub anyway ;)

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy (Post 8108325)

I told my boss at work that the channels in my apartment were crud, so I stopped watching. He offered me his slingbox.., I thought about it for two seconds and declined. Rationale is, it cant be bad to leave TV alone for s bit.

The Dean Nov 19th 2009 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsden (Post 8109208)
Sat eating breakfast this morning with the TV on in the background. News is good to wake up to I guess. Only thing I really value on the package we have (family) is sport and Discovery - you can keep your shoddy American sitcoms - 99% really are dross. Kids channels good for the kids every now and then. Had gone 8 months prior without TV and didn't miss it at all really - sports on the TV at home keeps me away from the pub anyway ;)

The US sitcoms are dross because the local providers out here won't pay the licensing fees required for the good stuff - until the show is very old, when the price falls considerably.

Still, a ten-year-old Simpsons episode is better than most current stuff anyway.

Blue Cat Nov 19th 2009 4:01 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8109218)
The US sitcoms are dross because the local providers out here won't pay the licensing fees required for the good stuff - until the show is very old, when the price falls considerably.

Still, a ten-year-old Simpsons episode is better than most current stuff anyway.

I watch Sky News and Emmerdale and Coronation Street the rest I download. Mitten however watches Disney Channel and Cartoon network :rolleyes:

lionheart Nov 19th 2009 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8109268)
I watch Sky News and Emmerdale and Coronation Street the rest I download. Mitten however watches Disney Channel and Cartoon network :rolleyes:

Mine watches the Jim Jam channel in the mornings. We like Hallmark when they have UK detective stuff but BBC Prime (or Entertainment) is rubbish in the evenings, full of Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt and Weakest Link. The misses watches E Entertainment...ugh!

Hello.Kitty Nov 19th 2009 6:09 am

nope, we're actually getting the TV connection replaced by another internet one today - so that Mr Kitty can play on his new PS3 :sneaky: We only watch DVDs on telly as everything is dross - even the kids channels imo. I'll be compiling some CBeeBies DVDs to bring back over when I get back to the UK.

Spugsy Nov 19th 2009 7:23 am

I've got the lot, all the films, all the sport, the lot - I tend to record 3 or 4 shows and watch the footy, there's a hell of a lot of shite on mind you.

commander Nov 19th 2009 2:32 pm

Sky news, discovery and UFC

Rest is pish

MacScot Nov 19th 2009 2:39 pm

Morecambe and Wise agree with you "Its nice out !" :o :lol:

Use the internet with a UK-based VPN to catch up now and again with UK programmes and news (e.g., BBC iPlayer)

Spugsy Nov 19th 2009 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8109344)
Mine watches the Jim Jam channel in the mornings. We like Hallmark when they have UK detective stuff but BBC Prime (or Entertainment) is rubbish in the evenings, full of Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt and Weakest Link. The misses watches E Entertainment...ugh!

aye that E! channel is dreadful, my better half watches it sometimes, it's utterly awful.

Madam Medusa Nov 20th 2009 3:46 am

tv is so crap, and even if there is something decent on, i can never find it as the schedules never seem to match what's on...

i only watch sky news, though the kids watch the children's channels and monsieur medusa watches any footie match going...i download everything else i want to watch...

MM, xx