British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   It's US Presidential Election Day....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/its-us-presidential-election-day-776762/)

The Dean Nov 6th 2012 2:35 am

It's US Presidential Election Day.......

........... well, as I write, it's still a day away, US time, but you know what I mean...........

I have sympathy for the Americans in one important respect: they have only Obama or Romney to choose from........ I'm not an expert on US political history, but there can rarely have been two such lightweights in the Presidential race, surely? Neither seems able to convince or inspire, and both have spent the last few weeks playing the 'I'm not as bad as the other guy' card.

Anyway, Michael Moore (obviously) wants his country to vote for Obama:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mi...-blog/tomorrow

mentalist Nov 6th 2012 3:28 am

Re: It's US Presidential Election Day.......

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10367986)
........... well, as I write, it's still a day away, US time, but you know what I mean...........

I have sympathy for the Americans in one important respect: they have only Obama or Romney to choose from........ I'm not an expert on US political history, but there can rarely have been two such lightweights in the Presidential race, surely? Neither seems able to convince or inspire, and both have spent the last few weeks playing the 'I'm not as bad as the other guy' card.

Anyway, Michael Moore (obviously) wants his country to vote for Obama:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mi...-blog/tomorrow

As usual I disagree. Obama is by no means a political lightweight.

Millhouse Nov 6th 2012 4:59 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10368016)

I have an Obama fridge magnet. Last thing we need is an utter twat running the states again. At least Obama leads to complete political deadlock and nothing happening.

Attachment 109344

auzdafluff Nov 6th 2012 5:25 am

There are only two things that could break the deadlock imposed by the fanatics in the Tea Party; a republican president (who would be a real lightweight, one that has his orders given to him) or a democrat that sacks the house of representatives and calls immediate re-elections for the whole house – which would be a step towards a dictatorship and something that a democrat would never do.

Sadly the two options are this:

Obama who is a very good president, but is in a situation where the equally powerful house of representatives refuses vote for anything that might make him look good. (i.e. deadlock imposed by a house of reps that has the philosophy of our way or no way).

Romney who is a good businessman of the new globalization age. However a good business man, a good president does not necessarily make. He is used to catering for what is best for shareholders – i.e. the ones with the money. His previous treatment of employees should be a warning to US voters. It's all about helping business; not you.

Sadly, many US voters are so deeply divided that if the Republican's had the best president (which they haven't ever since before Regan – a man who will go down in history as the one who started the decline of the US), democrats wouldn't vote for him, and vice versa as is the situation now.

The republican party today is not the republican party of the middle of the 20th Century – one that I could vote for. It is the party of the 1 per cent. The only reason people vote for it is because they don't like what the democrats offer.

I don't think there has ever been as good an opportunity for the Libertarian party to take over from where the GOP has departed. Hell, it's more like the GOP of the 1900s through 1970s than what the Tea Party infested horror that exists today.

The Dean Nov 6th 2012 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10368016)

Try looking for the 'speech' he made in Bristow, Virginia this last weekend...... embarrassing. I actually thought he was drunk.... repeating himself, stuttering.... "..... it doesn't matter what you look like.... it doesn't matter who you love....... " Weird. :confused:

Meow Nov 6th 2012 5:36 am

Romney believes in magic pants, in a moronic angel & doesn't drink. It's an easy choice.

The Dean Nov 6th 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10368084)
There are only two things that could break the deadlock imposed by the fanatics in the Tea Party; a republican president (who would be a real lightweight, one that has his orders given to him) or a democrat that sacks the house of representatives and calls immediate re-elections for the whole house – which would be a step towards a dictatorship and something that a democrat would never do.

Sadly the two options are this:

Obama who is a very good president, but is in a situation where the equally powerful house of representatives refuses vote for anything that might make him look good. (i.e. deadlock imposed by a house of reps that has the philosophy of our way or no way).

Romney who is a good businessman of the new globalization age. However a good business man, a good president does not necessarily make. He is used to catering for what is best for shareholders – i.e. the ones with the money. His previous treatment of employees should be a warning to US voters. It's all about helping business; not you.

Sadly, many US voters are so deeply divided that if the Republican's had the best president (which they haven't ever since before Regan – a man who will go down in history as the one who started the decline of the US), democrats wouldn't vote for him, and vice versa as is the situation now.

The republican party today is not the republican party of the middle of the 20th Century – one that I could vote for. It is the party of the 1 per cent. The only reason people vote for it is because they don't like what the democrats offer.

I don't think there has ever been as good an opportunity for the Libertarian party to take over from where the GOP has departed. Hell, it's more like the GOP of the 1900s through 1970s than what the Tea Party infested horror that exists today.

Obama who is a very good president

I keep hearing this, but always with the 'caveat' that the House won't let him do anything....... there has to be more to it than that, surely?

The key to most elections in most countries where they have them is to ascertain how many people who voted for A last time will be voting for B this time (this applies even within the college vote system they have there). Look at the number of long-standing Labour voters who turned to Thatcher in 79 (and Tebbit kept warning her not to piss them off afterwards).

So - who voted for Obama in 08 that will be voting for Romney today? Hello?? Anyone?? Hello??? :huh:

The Dean Nov 6th 2012 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10368094)
Romney believes in magic pants, in a moronic angel & doesn't drink. It's an easy choice.

So why is it supposedly such a close race?

Millhouse Nov 6th 2012 5:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10368103)
So why is it supposedly such a close race?

because both are shit and the american people are stupid.

Meow Nov 6th 2012 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10368107)
because both are shit and the american people are stupid.

Partisan polictics. A two party system and very little thinking.

The amount of money spent absolutely sickens me. Imagine the good things it could have been spent on.

Millhouse Nov 6th 2012 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10368108)
The amount of money spent absolutely sickens me. Imagine the good things it could have been spent on.

I agree. That crappy fridge magnet cost me 10US$ !

Meow Nov 6th 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10368111)

They saw you coming...

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 6th 2012 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10368111)

Should have bought a mug, you mug.

Millhouse Nov 6th 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10368115)
Should have bought a mug, you mug.

that isn't going to build my fridge magnet collection, you magnet.

Boomhauer Nov 6th 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10368067)
I have an Obama fridge magnet. Last thing we need is an utter twat running the states again. At least Obama leads to complete political deadlock and nothing happening.

Attachment 109344

Obama is a threat to the traditional Judeo-Christian Western Civilization; Romney & Ryan are here to save the day.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...zation-values/