British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   It's not all Iftars, is it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/its-not-all-iftars-803459/)

Bongoman2 Jul 20th 2013 12:51 pm

It's not all Iftars, is it?

I have a mate swinging through Dubai this week and I was hoping to take him out on the tiles on a Tuesday night.

Any tips on where to go that's not an iftar or 'quiet'

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2013 2:44 pm

Re: It's not all Iftars, is it?

anywhere, there are plenty restaurants just opening as usual in all the hotels that aren't having Iftars. A night on the tiles however aint going to happen.

Kix Jul 20th 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10809970)
anywhere, there are plenty restaurants just opening as usual in all the hotels that aren't having Iftars. A night on the tiles however aint going to happen.

A number of years back I went to Yorks during Ramadan. Place was exactly the same without the music - to be honest the atmosphere was better cos you could hear what your mate was saying.

So I disagree Ms BC, you still can have a bit of a night out.

Meow Jul 21st 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10809970)

Your lodger managed it!

Bongoman2 - most bars are 'business as usual' but quieter as they can only play background music. Plenty of people are out as normal. I was in the Belgian Beer Cafe in Tecom on Thursday and it was heaving with plenty of atmosphere.

Blue Cat hasn't been to a bar since 2003... ;)

NorthernLad Jul 21st 2013 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 10809832)
I have a mate swinging through Dubai this week and I was hoping to take him out on the tiles on a Tuesday night.

Any tips on where to go that's not an iftar or 'quiet'

A lot of the bars are busy and atmosphere is not bad at all - for some reason Longs Bar used to be always packed during Ramadan (I've not been for a few years).

I was in McGettigans (JLT) last Tuesday and it was fairly busy.

Blue Cat Jul 21st 2013 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10810937)
Your lodger managed it!

Bongoman2 - most bars are 'business as usual' but quieter as they can only play background music. Plenty of people are out as normal. I was in the Belgian Beer Cafe in Tecom on Thursday and it was heaving with plenty of atmosphere.

Blue Cat hasn't been to a bar since 2003... ;)

course I have :rofl: the lodger was at a friends house after a few pints in the bar, the Ramada :)

Meow Jul 21st 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10811195)
course I have :rofl: the lodger was at a friends house after a few pints in the bar, the Ramada :)

We're not talking about your daytime vodka habit, but fun after dark.. :scarper:

Blue Cat Jul 21st 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10811321)
We're not talking about your daytime vodka habit, but fun after dark.. :scarper:

:rofl: